Rumor Bye Bye (Tiki) Birdies?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
And the Jungle Cruise, of course!

I think they should spin the area off into The Sedimentary Section of Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson. Formed from fragments of existing material. They could even put a smoking section there so that people can get stoned. So many opportunities.
Smoking section + giant turkey leg cart = :greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Please don't flame me if this was stated in this thread already but if Disney wanted to "energize" the show I think they need to bring in guest interaction i.e. Turtle Talk w/ Crush & Laugh Floor.
They could go that direction. They just need to decide is the attraction more about "nostalgia" or more about appealing to today's kids. The general appeal to a lot of park fans is that the original dates back to Walt. Making it more modern could destroy that nostalgia but could make for a better overall show.

Stitch_Fan_NJ

They could go that direction. They just need to decide is the attraction more about "nostalgia" or more about appealing to today's kids. The general appeal to a lot of park fans is that the original dates back to Walt. Making it more modern could destroy that nostalgia but could make for a better overall show.
I think they need to find a balance. Keep some of the tiki birds original and add a newer AA that can interact with guests. Not sure how it could be tied together but Disney could do it.

Biff215

I didn't realize Moana was so popular. Seems like it did ok at the box office but certainly wasn't a huge hit by Disney standards.

I still find the talk of ruining the Tiki Room pretty nauseating but I'm over it at this point. I am way out of the target demographic that WDW now must cater (pander) to.

edit: ok Moana did 248m domestic, that's pretty good. According to Box Office Mojo it is the #1 all time film in the "Hawaii--Travelogue" genre. o_O
It's quite popular with kids and families, as shown by the line for the M&G at MNSSHP. Better story and even soundtrack than Frozen IMO. It's a little early to determine staying power, so it might be a slight risk to base an attraction around. That's why I could see them choosing an overlay here that would keep most of what is already there.

Frank the Tank

Sounds like an improvement to me. Tiki Room is a major snooze-fest. Classic or not. Absolutely none of my friends I've taken to WDW for the first time have ever enjoyed it.

Unfortunately, I agree that this is probably a common reaction. I have strong positive nostalgic feelings for the Tiki Room since I saw it many times as a kid in the '80s and '90s and always loved it. However, when my kids, wife and in-laws all saw it for the first time with me a few months ago, it was a complete and total thud with *all* of them. That was three generations of first time watchers ranging from 7-years old to 63-years old that didn't care for the Tiki Room at all, so this couldn't even be blamed on the supposed short-attention spans of today's youth. It was literally the only attraction at the Magic Kingdom where my own personal nostalgia was completely at odds with the experience of everyone else with me (unlike other classic rides which were still hits with them, such as It's a Small World and Haunted Mansion). When an attraction is only surviving because of pure nostalgia of memories of people from over 25 years ago and nothing else on the merits, then it's understandable that it may not be long for this world. It pains me to say that the Tiki Room looks like it's in that category.

Progress.City

You know what? I thinketh of the perfectest idealistic replacementeth... (dare I say?).....

(Spoiler space)

ADVENTURES CLUB!!!!!!!!!!!

The Duck

Moana? Oh well. I guess I better get off my butt and see the movie so I'll have a hint to what's going on when the show reopens.

TROR

Don't @ me but the Tiki Room isn't that great of a show and if they want to use that space for something better at WDW, then they should go for it. However, just placing IPs into it isn't going to be using that space better or offer anything of real value.

Also the Disneyland one should never be touched as it's the one with true history to it.

Jrn14

I've said this before, but I liked The Tiki Room better... under new management... People in the audience would get up and dance, it was funnier, and the added effects and animatronics were better.. When it went back to the original show I was surprised at how incomplete it felt. It was cute, but even for a small show like that it felt like it really needed more. I think adding Moana and friends is a great idea... I think Under New MGMT 2 is fine with me... it's small attraction in a small space with animatronics. I'd rather them just refresh the show than lose it completely.

KBLovedDisney

So, they would put Maui as a fully active audioanimatronic in the center of the room (probably still with a projected face) and have a projected faced AA of Moana in a static mode (like Elsa/Anna/etc. from Frozen Ever After) somewhere along with a HeiHei AA...

I can see it now. (Pardon my spelling of the characters)

Maui did something to upset the goddess Tefiti (stole the heart) Then the volcanoes erupt (this would still be the exact same effect from the windows used from the old Tiki Room show). Maui would pop out of the middle column..thingy with the glowing heart in hand. Then Moana would appear and talk him into giving it back to Tefiti/Teka before she gets really mad. Maui gives it back. All the birds/creatures/whatever they add sing happily that Tefiti is back. The end.

Boom.
giphy.gif

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
So, they would put Maui as a fully active audioanimatronic in the center of the room (probably still with a projected face) and have a projected faced AA of Moana in a static mode (like Elsa/Anna/etc. from Frozen Ever After) somewhere along with a HeiHei AA...

I can see it now. (Pardon my spelling of the characters)

Maui did something to upset the goddess Tefiti (stole the heart) Then the volcanoes erupt (this would still be the exact same effect from the windows used from the old Tiki Room show). Maui would pop out of the middle column..thingy with the glowing heart in hand. Then Moana would appear and talk him into giving it back to Tefiti/Teka before she gets really mad. Maui gives it back. All the birds/creatures/whatever they add sing happily that Tefiti is back. The end.

Boom.
giphy.gif

Sounds better than the original tho... I'd bet it would be scarily accurate!

tirian

Moana was a very pretty movie, but it...was missing something. I can't quite put my finger on it. But aside from its gorgeous visuals, it just didn't do it for me. FWIW.
I felt the same way. To me, Moana was an odd mashup of The Little Mermaid and The Emperor's New Groove. It was okay, but I didn't love it. Again, IMHO FWIW.

I love the current version of the Tiki Room, despite its edits.

solidyne

Unfortunately, I agree that this is probably a common reaction. I have strong positive nostalgic feelings for the Tiki Room since I saw it many times as a kid in the '80s and '90s and always loved it. However, when my kids, wife and in-laws all saw it for the first time with me a few months ago, it was a complete and total thud with *all* of them. That was three generations of first time watchers ranging from 7-years old to 63-years old that didn't care for the Tiki Room at all, so this couldn't even be blamed on the supposed short-attention spans of today's youth. It was literally the only attraction at the Magic Kingdom where my own personal nostalgia was completely at odds with the experience of everyone else with me (unlike other classic rides which were still hits with them, such as It's a Small World and Haunted Mansion). When an attraction is only surviving because of pure nostalgia of memories of people from over 25 years ago and nothing else on the merits, then it's understandable that it may not be long for this world. It pains me to say that the Tiki Room looks like it's in that category.
This nails it. I am in that nostalgic category, and it is hard to face the truth, but the truth is the truth. :(

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
This nails it. I am in that nostalgic category, and it is hard to face the truth, but the truth is the truth. :(
I was in the nostalgic bubble as well, until I constantly heard my newbie friends complain about how boring/old it is every time I take anyone on it.

Ironically, Country Bears is always a hit or miss! My friends/family either find it amusing and funny or, again, boring and outdated. But at least it's not 100% boring and outdated.

DisneyManOne

I just noticed that DSNY Newscast--the YouTube channel @Next Big Thing said was basically the Disney equivalent of TMZ--posted a video about this rumor...

Honestly, I think that if this were to happen, they would've announced it at D23. I really don't think this will happen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom