Rumor Stitch's Great Escape Replacement— Don’t Hold Your Breath

No Name

Soarin over the World? Avatar? (It is an ip but it's not owned by Disney). Rivers of light?

Again, the new Soarin' film is paid for as part of SDL, and its not an entirely new attraction. Avatar is totally a studio IP and one of the biggest examples of lack of faith in original attractions. Rivers of Light is certainly original, which is great, no doubt. But its not a ride.

I'm not nitpicking. It's simply a fact that Disney hasn't built a non-IP-based ride in the US since Iger became CEO.

celluloid

Still not buying it. Chapek isn't going to OK an attraction that isn't currently dynamic enough (or expected to be soon through a live-action or updated new film) to move tie-in merchandise.

I hope I'm wrong though.
If you read my post's definition, I think that you will find that you are in agreeance with what I see. "More Disney" in this case was more what recent studio productions do we have.

WDWTank

Again, the new Soarin' film is paid for as part of SDL, and its not an entirely new attraction. Avatar is totally a studio IP and one of the biggest examples of lack of faith in original attractions. Rivers of Light is certainly original, which is great, no doubt. But its not a ride.

I'm not nitpicking. It's simply a fact that Disney hasn't built a non-IP-based ride in the US since Iger became CEO.
Expedition Everest :)

Magic Feather

Original Poster
I'm suprised Disney seriously hasn't considered giving the US parks a non-ip ride since Everest. Everest has clearly been successful and is pretty iconic. There's only so many Hot ip's Disney owns.
Oh, there have been quite a few seriously considered non-IP proposals, but competing proposals often come down to "what checks off the most boxes" and convenient IP tie-in is often a deciding "box" so to speak.

bclane

Oh, there have been quite a few seriously considered non-IP proposals, but competing proposals often come down to "what checks off the most boxes" and convenient IP tie-in is often a deciding "box" so to speak.
That makes perfect sense and I think attaching popular IPs to attractions is smart. Attach the right IP and you are guaranteed to have an instant emotional connection to whatever you're building with at least some of the public. I like having IP in the parks when it is done right. In fact, I'm really hoping some of my favorite films (like WALL-E eventually find their way into the parks. It's when IP is forced in for the sake of cramming an IP in even when it doesn't make sense that I think is where the problem lies. Hopefully they will figure out and implement a balance of IP and original ideas that exist solely in the parks, and most importantly, stop forcing square pegs into round holes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom