Formal Night

Phonedave

Except it's your house so you have a right to have a clean room. You don't own the cruise line. I am actually really curious as to how it "spoils" it for you? Is it so disturbing that you can not eat? Or do you still eat but grumble about it the whole time? Are you not able to enjoy your family's company because someone has shorts on? You keep talking about the atmosphere, it's a Disney cruise full of kids, not someplace I would look to go for a "formal atmosphere". I am sure you are a wonderful intelligent man, but you are being a bit silly about this.

It bothers me. Some things bother some people. Does it ruin my evening, not by a long shot. In fact maybe bother is the wrong word. Maybe it is "I enjoy an atmosphere where everyone is dressed up". That works much better. DCL is promoting an event I would enjoy, but then they are not delivering that event. If you went to animators pallet and the show did not work, would your evening be runied - of course not. But it would not be as enjoyable (assuming you enjoy that show). same thing goes for a dressy atmosphere. I enjoy it. No need to explain why, that is not germaine to the issue. The issue is DCL advertises something, and then does not deliver. Either call it for what it is, or start enforcing it.

We just got off a week on the Celebrity Summit, and it was refreshing to watch them enforce the dress code in the main dining room. they have a "smart casual" dress code most nights. We coined a new term "Stupid casual" as in "Yo!, this is STUPID casual" after watching a guy in a tank top and flip flops get turned away.

-dave

Phonedave

But what Disney cruise line has is not a dress code, it is an optional theme night. Their actual dress code that they enforce is no swimsuits.

I get that, and that is my problem with it. A formal night, at least for me, is just a waste if it is optional. My vote is either eliminate it all together, or make it a "formal;" formal night.

DfromATX

I never understood the arguments against dressing up:

1) I don't have any clothes like that : well maybe you should. OK, if you are really poor, then I understand. But if you are really really poor, then what are you doing on a cruise, let alone a DCL cruise. Everybody who has a reasonable amount of income (enought to let them cruise) should at least have a sport coat and some slacks or for women a nice dress. What happens when you have to go to a funeral, or a wedding, or your boss asks you to cover a meeting, or your child graduates from school? You can easily pick up something that looks nice for $100 new, or even less if you buy second hand. You don't have to go out and order a $3,000 bespoke suit and a pair of Bruno Magli's. Nobody is going to be able to tell you bought it at Target.

2) It takes too long to get dressed: I work from home - in shorts, a t-shirt, and bare feet most of the time. My wife has come home and said we need to go out somewhere for dinner because of a last minute function. I'm in a suit and tie in under 10 minutes and ready to go. If you are so grungy and sweaty that you need a shower before you change into your nicer clothes, then you should be taking a shower anyway before going to dinner no matter what you plan on wearing.

3) I don't want to drag on a garment bag. I get this, especially if you are flying to your cruise, and you don't want to drag an other peice of checked luggage with you. However, DCL has an excellent pressing and dry cleaning service on board, and it's not expensive. When I was going on DCL cruises (I have to fly into Port Canaveral) I would jam a sport coat and slacks into my regular bag. Once in my stateroom, I would give the coat to the attendent to have pressed for around $8. The next morning it was in my stateroom and ready to go.When I cruise out of Bayonne, which I drive to, I do pack a seperate garment bag - to hold both my clothes, and my wife;s clothes.

4) I don't like they way the clothes feel: Unless you have a real condition, where clothes against your skin causes you extreme discomfort, wear the jacket and tie. Get a shirt that fits correctly and a tie does not strangle you anyway. Or, go to an other venue on formal night.

-dave

I totally agree with this. I've never cruised Disney, but even Carnival has what they call an "elegant" night. I admit the men in my family could probably do without it, but my step daughters and I enjoy dressing up so that's what we do. My sons and husband will wear slacks, dress shirts, and ties - no jacket. I don't know how Disney works, but Carnival has a rule of no shorts or flip flops in the MDR on elegant night so that's already pretty relaxed. The least a person could do is wear Dockers and a collared-shirt. I bet you could even get away with khaki shorts and a nice shirt. There's other options for dining so if a person really hated dressing up, then they don't have to dine in the MDR. And you are right, no matter how poor you are you can always go to Ross or Walmart, but if you're on a cruise, especially a Disney cruise, you're not that poor.

DfromATX

Ok, I understand your other comment better now, and I agree.

We will be on NCL soon.. I've heard it's such a variety of dress..I purchased a dining package, and am still planning on wearing cocktail attire to dinner, kiddo will wear slacks and a button up, or a vneck and a jacket.. but am very curious to see what this "freestyle" thing is in action, and if we will be in the minority.

I am researching them as well. I'd love to hear what you think of your NCL cruise. What ship will you be on? I'm looking at the Escape.

jaklgreen

I totally agree with this. I've never cruised Disney, but even Carnival has what they call an "elegant" night. I admit the men in my family could probably do without it, but my step daughters and I enjoy dressing up so that's what we do. My sons and husband will wear slacks, dress shirts, and ties - no jacket. I don't know how Disney works, but Carnival has a rule of no shorts or flip flops in the MDR on elegant night so that's already pretty relaxed. The least a person could do is wear Dockers and a collared-shirt. I bet you could even get away with khaki shorts and a nice shirt. There's other options for dining so if a person really hated dressing up, then they don't have to dine in the MDR. And you are right, no matter how poor you are you can always go to Ross or Walmart, but if you're on a cruise, especially a Disney cruise, you're not that poor.

I think that it's more of a personal choice. If someone does not want to dress up for something that is clearly an option, then who is anyone to say that they need to go somewhere else to eat? Especially if the cruise line has no issues with it. Disney is not like Carnival where they have a bunch of different restaurants. You get the 1 choice for the main dining and they have a small section of the buffet that they turn into a service restaurant for a couple of hours. The big draw for many is the food on the Disney ship. A person should not have to forgo one of the main meals because they are either unable,unwilling, or uncomfortable wearing "dress up" clothes. If they are wearing normal clothes that are not offensive, then it's really no one else's business whether or not they are wearing a dress or some capris and a blouse.

DfromATX

I think that it's more of a personal choice. If someone does not want to dress up for something that is clearly an option, then who is anyone to say that they need to go somewhere else to eat? Especially if the cruise line has no issues with it. Disney is not like Carnival where they have a bunch of different restaurants. You get the 1 choice for the main dining and they have a small section of the buffet that they turn into a service restaurant for a couple of hours. The big draw for many is the food on the Disney ship. A person should not have to forgo one of the main meals because they are either unable,unwilling, or uncomfortable wearing "dress up" clothes. If they are wearing normal clothes that are not offensive, then it's really no one else's business whether or not they are wearing a dress or some capris and a blouse.

That's interesting. I didn't know they didn't have multiple restaurants. Most of the other cruise lines do (CCL, NCL, RCCL). Well, if it's not a designated "elegant" or "formal" night, then I agree with you. I can only speak for a Carnival cruise (and soon a Norweigian). Norwegian has a free-style concept, but Carnival still does the elegant nights, but it applies to the main dining room only.

jaklgreen

That's interesting. I didn't know they didn't have multiple restaurants. Most of the other cruise lines do (CCL, NCL, RCCL). Well, if it's not a designated "elegant" or "formal" night, then I agree with you. I can only speak for a Carnival cruise (and soon a Norweigian). Norwegian has a free-style concept, but Carnival still does the elegant nights, but it applies to the main dining room only.

Disney has 3 main dining rooms but you rotate them on the schedule that they assign you. So you can't just go to which ever one you want that evening. The only other dinner options is sometimes they section of the buffet area for a couple of hours and have a few items there, the very limited room service, or the crappy pizza and chicken fingers. There are also 2 extra charge, adults only restaurants, but those you absolutely need to dress up for. For the cost of a Disney cruise a person should be able to have a decent meal. And I believe that Disney agrees with this since they have made their "formal" night completely optional. It really is just a way for them to sell more photos. They set up a bunch of photo ops that evening, which I think is great for those who want to do that. But it should not be, and isn't, a mandatory thing that you have to dress up in formal clothes if you do not want to. I have been on 6 Disney cruises and there have been a good mix of people who do not dress up/somewhat dress up/ and those who go all out with tux and ballroom gowns. And I have not seen anyone have an issue with the other. Why can't people be accepting of everyone regardless of whether or not they are wearing a tux or some capris? Why is it such a big deal that some of you feel like you need to segregate out those who do not dress up like they are offending you or something? I don't get it.

DfromATX

Disney has 3 main dining rooms but you rotate them on the schedule that they assign you. So you can't just go to which ever one you want that evening. The only other dinner options is sometimes they section of the buffet area for a couple of hours and have a few items there, the very limited room service, or the crappy pizza and chicken fingers. There are also 2 extra charge, adults only restaurants, but those you absolutely need to dress up for. For the cost of a Disney cruise a person should be able to have a decent meal. And I believe that Disney agrees with this since they have made their "formal" night completely optional. It really is just a way for them to sell more photos. They set up a bunch of photo ops that evening, which I think is great for those who want to do that. But it should not be, and isn't, a mandatory thing that you have to dress up in formal clothes if you do not want to. I have been on 6 Disney cruises and there have been a good mix of people who do not dress up/somewhat dress up/ and those who go all out with tux and ballroom gowns. And I have not seen anyone have an issue with the other. Why can't people be accepting of everyone regardless of whether or not they are wearing a tux or some capris? Why is it such a big deal that some of you feel like you need to segregate out those who do not dress up like they are offending you or something? I don't get it.

If it's not a formal/dress up event, then it's a non issue, simple as that. It wouldn't matter what others wore. But, if it were a designated formal dress up event, then I agree that it would take away from the elegant atmosphere if a person chose to dress down during an dress up event.

jaklgreen

If it's not a formal/dress up event, then it's a non issue, simple as that. It wouldn't matter what others wore. But, if it were a designated formal dress up event, then I agree that it would take away from the elegant atmosphere if a person chose to dress down during an dress up event.

That's the issue, it is a clearly stated "optional" formal night. So Disney clearly states that if a person wants to then they can and they even mention all of their photo ops. No one has been denied entrance to the restaurants, for not wearing formal wear. But some on here still think that everyone one should dress up or "go eat somewhere else" or it will ruin dinner for others. I say, if someone wants to dine where everyone else is dressed up then go to those specific restaurants, Palo and Remy.

ChuckElias

I'd love to hear what you think of your NCL cruise. What ship will you be on? I'm looking at the Escape.
Here's my trip report from my Breakaway cruise last summer. I apologize in advance because the pictures are no longer available, thanks to Photobucket.

DfromATX

Here's my trip report from my Breakaway cruise last summer. I apologize in advance because the pictures are no longer available, thanks to Photobucket.

Thanks, I will check it out. Overall, were you happy with your NCL cruise? So far I have only cruised with Carnival. I know they are the "Walmart" of cruises, but we've enjoyed them, plus living in Texas, it's easy to go to Galveston. However, we've been wanting to upgrade and I've been looking at NCL Escape and Royal's Oasis of the Seas, both leaving out of Florida. Even though we love Disney parks, the Disney cruise line is just way too expensive, I think double the price of all other cruise lines.

jaklgreen

The cruise line that sets the dress code.

Yes they do and they clearly state that formal and semi-formal nights are optional. So if people choose to not dress up, as per the cruise line's guide lines, they are doing nothing wrong and should not be told by others to go "eat somewhere else".

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Yes they do and they clearly state that formal and semi-formal nights are optional. So if people choose to not dress up, as per the cruise line's guide lines, they are doing nothing wrong and should not be told by others to go "eat somewhere else".

Having just done an Alaskan with DCL a couple of weeks ago I took a closer note of how many were dressed for the optional formal night. It appeared that it was easily less than half were dressed for it. My wife commented how the number of those dressing up seems to be consistently decreasing (HALLELUJAH). So long as it says optional, there will be no way I will dress up for one.

Even the more affluent country clubs in my area have loosened their dress codes to attract younger membership.

DfromATX

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but the way I interpret "optional" means no, you do not have to participate in the formal event, but if you want to dine in the dining room that's it's being held in, you should dress up. To me, it's a special occasion. I wouldn't expect to see a lot of tuxes or long gowns, but at the very least a nice pair of slacks and dress shirt. But, this is a common argument. Carnival had a forum like this and it was one of the hot topics that came up all the time. :)

jaklgreen

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but the way I interpret "optional" means no, you do not have to participate in the formal event, but if you want to dine in the dining room that's it's being held in, you should dress up. To me, it's a special occasion. I wouldn't expect to see a lot of tuxes or long gowns, but at the very least a nice pair of slacks and dress shirt. But, this is a common argument. Carnival had a forum like this and it was one of the hot topics that came up all the time. :)

Well as ScoutN just verified, it is maybe 1/2 of the people that really dress up. I will go by what the cruise line says, that you do not have to dress up and that you are welcome to dine in the dining room as long as you follow the standard dress code(no bathing suits,etc). So in the case of Disney cruise, you interpretation is wrong. Maybe because of the way their dining is set up that there are no other options that would be able to feed that many people. I can say that I do not wear dresses, I do wear some nice capri pants and a blouse on those nights. But I can hardly think that someone dressed like me would ruin someone else's dinner just because I am not wearing a ball gown.

21stamps

Having just done an Alaskan with DCL a couple of weeks ago I took a closer note of how many were dressed for the optional formal night. It appeared that it was easily less than half were dressed for it. My wife commented how the number of those dressing up seems to be consistently decreasing (HALLELUJAH). So long as it says optional, there will be no way I will dress up for one.

Even the more affluent country clubs in my area have loosened their dress codes to attract younger membership.

I've always heard that Alaskan cruises are a little less formal. Attributing most of that to weather and luggage space. Lol

ChuckElias

Yes they do and they clearly state that formal and semi-formal nights are optional.
In this case (most cases, actually), that's true. I was just responding to your comment "who is anyone to say. . .?" My only point was that if the cruise line itself says it, that's a valid reason to tell the guest to eat somewhere else.

I totally get where you're coming from on DCL. The "who's to say" just rubbed me the wrong way for some reason.

jaklgreen

In this case (most cases, actually), that's true. I was just responding to your comment "who is anyone to say. . .?" My only point was that if the cruise line itself says it, that's a valid reason to tell the guest to eat somewhere else.

I totally get where you're coming from on DCL. The "who's to say" just rubbed me the wrong way for some reason.

I get you. I am just a bit perturbed that some people here say to "go eat somewhere else because your lack of formal wear is ruining my dinner". The people that do not dress up are well within their rights to not do so as per Disney's rules. So to that I say "who is anyone to say where I can and cannot eat". If someone is bothered by others that are not doing anything wrong then that is on them, not on the people just trying to enjoy their meal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom