News New Theater to be built at the Magic Kingdom - now cancelled?

Cesar R M

I think it's more likely to lose the end of Center St East and make that the direct access to the theatre, with gates across the bypass until it's in use.
What if they built it intersecting and not parallel to the road?
Aka build right on top of the bypass, and make "the lobby" of the theatre as a walkway for the bypass. That way they can build on top a way to carry the materials for the emporium and other stores outside the visitor's prying eyes.

mm121

What if they built it intersecting and not parallel to the road?
Aka build right on top of the bypass, and make "the lobby" of the theatre as a walkway for the bypass. That way they can build on top a way to carry the materials for the emporium and other stores outside the visitor's prying eyes.

they don't have to go above for access, they could go below as technically main street is on the 2nd floor already due to the utilidoors

Jedi Stitch

Google maps already shows construction going on back stage, I believe that this will be part of a new bypass. I thought I had read about the concept of bringing back the old pavilion lands like the Edison and such. Adding a bypass has been a request/complaint by most guests not participating in the parade or shows that block Main Street USA. My final though is why would they give up a restaurant, meet and greet, and a mercantile for a live show?

mm121

Google maps already shows construction going on back stage, I believe that this will be part of a new bypass. I thought I had read about the concept of bringing back the old pavilion lands like the Edison and such. Adding a bypass has been a request/complaint by most guests not participating in the parade or shows that block Main Street USA. My final though is why would they give up a restaurant, meet and greet, and a mercantile for a live show?

google maps always runs a few years behind

but this project does explain why they didnt go "over the top" when building the bypass

they arent giving up anything, this isnt going in the current theatre space this is a new build

trainplane3

google maps always runs a few years behind

but this project does explain why they didnt go "over the top" when building the bypass

they arent giving up anything, this isnt going in the current theatre space this is a new build
I found downloading Google Earth and clicking the clock button at the top will give the most recent imagery. It shows the bypass as being paved and trees planted. Oh and the hub is the current design and not the previous version. Maps and Earth in browser show old imagery.
mVWxZxI.jpg

Last edited:

pektas

I found downloading Google Earth and clicking the clock button at the top will give the most recent imagery. It shows the bypass as being paved and trees planted. Oh and the hub is the current design and now the previous version. Maps and Earth in browser show old imagery.
mVWxZxI.jpg
You can do the same thing thru the browser google maps by clicking on the burger at the top left and turning 3D off, this gives you the latest satellite imagery

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It shows the bypass as being paved and trees planted.

Yeah, they made that bypass guest-ready because they use that as a special entrance for the ticketed events. You can get your first bag of Halloween candy or Christmas cookies there.

Which gets me thinking... this bypass is so that guests coming in for the ticketed party aren't crashing into the guests leaving. But if this bypass gets closed down in order to construct the new theater and add better facades all around, then what is WDW to do?

Push out the day-guests an hour earlier. Which is what they'll do starting with the Christmas parties.

TrojanUSC

Yeah, they made that bypass guest-ready because they use that as a special entrance for the ticketed events. You can get your first bag of Halloween candy or Christmas cookies there.

Which gets me thinking... this bypass is so that guests coming in for the ticketed party aren't crashing into the guests leaving. But if this bypass gets closed down in order to construct the new theater and add better facades all around, then what is WDW to do?

Push out the day-guests an hour earlier. Which is what they'll do starting with the Christmas parties.

This is largely incorrect. That bypass is occasionally used for what you describe but more often than not it is used as a way to do what's called a "blow out," by allowing guests to leave the park in a more expedited fashion, especially during parades, fireworks or at other peak times when Main Street may be clogged with people or blocked due to an event.

It has been paved, painted and landscaped for quite some time (at least since New Years eve).

Previous to this bypass, they would do the same thing, just with temporary planters. This required far more cast members to staff though, as they had to ensure guests followed the correct path. It was also bad show. The bypass allowed for a smoother, easier exit experience for guests - while not completely breaking the show.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This is largely incorrect. That bypass is occasionally used for what you describe but more often than not it is used as a way to do what's called a "blow out," by allowing guests to leave the park in a more expedited fashion, especially during parades, fireworks or at other peak times when Main Street may be clogged with people or blocked due to an event.

It has been paved, painted and landscaped for quite some time (at least since New Years eve).

Previous to this bypass, they would do the same thing, just with temporary planters. This required far more cast members to staff though, as they had to ensure guests followed the correct path. It was also bad show. The bypass allowed for a smoother, easier exit experience for guests - while not completely breaking the show.

Chyahh... it was used as I described for the 2016 Halloween and Christmas parties. I was there for both. So... largely correct.

ToTBellHop

I have not found this to be accurate as recently as February. During the afternoon parade or around fireworks time, Main Street would be jam packed but the bypass closed off. I'm unsure of why that is. If you got it, use it.

It is certainly used as the entrance for party guests.

rael ramone

I've only read 'bits and pieces' of this thread (so what I say may have been said by others), so...

1. There is NO QUESTION (IMHO) that this is meant to attract people to visit. This isn't just to give people something to do. In their minds there is already something for you to do.... buy food, beverages, and plush. They wouldn't spend $$$ on a long show in a nice looking theatre that uses precious executive parking unless it was meant to attract visits.

2. This seems like the best thing to have been announced at D23 (and this is coming from someone who doesn't find these kind of shows interesting). A quality offering that provides a genuine need that doesn't displace another attraction. If they follow through with this*, it makes you feel good even if you don't personally enjoy it. It's very presence adds class & quality.

3. My guess is that the bypass from Center St to Tony's will become permanently open, where the theatre will end up. I'm guessing the north part will remain a bypass.

4. I'm guessing as well that 'New Street' won't simply house the theatre. If they can fit retail back there (even if it's kiosks) it will be there.

* - Wall Street (unlike in the past) wants stuff added in the parks, so it makes the D23 stuff much more likely to happen then stuff that ended up in coffee table books. Worst case scenario would be if *new research* tells them that it won't drive additional attendance and in fact gives people less store time (which might cause them to 'Hyperian Wharf' the project).

mm121

it probably just depends on the buildings placement, if its set back a bit from the bypass most likely the bypass would be able to continue to be used throughout most of the construction

its most likely going where the cars are parked now, so even with the bypass open they would have access to the site on 3 sides

its like building in a big city, they build buildings all the time without disrupting the buildings right next door. its a bit of a challenge and a different mindset but definitely doable

they also have the crappy un themed bypass that they sometimes use on the west side of mainstreet through the backstage and parking lot, just means rolling out the planters again

so theres definitely options

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom