News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Monorail_Orange

Will the toy gondola have AC? ;)
2472680larry-the-cable-guy-funny.jpg

mm121

Do we know if these will be heated yet? The ones on the ski slopes have heaters...
dont need heaters in florida, but ac would be nice but doubtful
That was my thought when I was posting that. That system is basically 5 years old, and in another 5 years, will become completely irrelevant.
still cool tech though, its too bad no property developers other than the city in dubai used it as the foundation of a city transportation network as those vehicles at heathrow are a bit more 'people scale' than the big roadways cars require
I'll be really interested to see how the backstage areas are kept/handled once the gondolas are up and running. I don't expect them to theme them are anything like that, but I'd bet they won't leave things lying around as they currently do in certain areas.
doubt they'll think too much about it other than maybe not leaving floats out or actual show elements

Maeryk

They used to have sidewheeler steamboats powered by a triple expansion steam engine. I think they were called the Osceola Class. There was the Ports O Call and I forget the other name. They were actually listed as an attraction, outside the park! Then they used them for dinner cruises and then for transportation to DI. They were an absolute PITA to steer and when one went down for maintenance they took machinery out of the hull, left for lunch, came back and found the boat had sank!!! Talk about competence. The other steamer was decommissioned later and then they had a side wheeler that wasn't a steamer but was larger.

Seven Seas was the other boat. (There were actually two of them.. the first, like Ports of Call was a steam fired walking beam, the second and diesel electric that had a faked walking beam display).

Rodan75

While I agree that they could, if needed, supplement the gondolas with a bus service requiring a transfer I doubt they would use Disney Springs. The last time I remember being able to take a bus from Downtown Disney to a park was 2001. I'm not sure when they stopped operating, but clearly there were too many people parking there for free to then hop on a bus to a park.

good point...then it may be DAK...but they will make you transfer somewhere. You can take a bus from those resorts but it will be a PITA. Like the TL and BB change, they will announce it as a simple change in the bus route, not the cancellation of service from POP, CBR, etc to Epcot/DHS.

NobodyElse

good point...then it may be DAK...but they will make you transfer somewhere. You can take a bus from those resorts but it will be a PITA. Like the TL and BB change, they will announce it as a simple change in the bus route, not the cancellation of service from POP, CBR, etc to Epcot/DHS.

It seems like they will set things up so that the gondolas will be the desirable option. Any bus service left would probably entail waits and ultimate ride duration that would only look good to those staunchly opposed to riding the gondolas.

Kamikaze

It seems like they will set things up so that the gondolas will be the desirable option. Any bus service left would probably entail waits and ultimate ride duration that would only look good to those staunchly opposed to riding the gondolas.

There is no way for them not to be. Unless you arrive to the bus stop literally as the bus arrives, the Gondolas will be faster than the bus. Even then it would be at most about even for most of the routes.

Edgmiller

We just went to Six Flags Over Georgia this past week and rode the Sky Buckets at that park. I sure hope Disney will be using larger cars and use a greater number of cars on the cable system. The line was relatively short, but we sure did wait a long time! It doesn't seem like this type of system has a high capacity that everyone is use to with the monorail and ferry systems.

Last edited:

peter11435

We just went to Six Flags Over Georgia this past week and rode the Sky Buckets at that park. I sure hope Disney will be using larger cars and use a greater number of cars on the cable system. The line was relatively short, but we sure did wait a long time! It doesn't seem like this type of system has a high capacity that everyone is use to with the monorail and ferry systems.
Not comparable

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Imagine a line with a hundred people in front of you waiting to get on a Gondola. The line is in constant motion. In less than three minutes, you're on the gondola (2,200 people per hour). Depending where you're going, you arrive in 5-15 minutes.

Now, imagine a line with a hundred people in front of you waiting for a bus. Luckily a bus is there, but it takes only 50 people. You move up and then stop. You're standing there 10-15 minutes waiting for the next bus. It takes 5 minutes to load. It takes 10-20 minutes to get to the park.

Which would you prefer?

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No
I've been to WDW at Christmas; you may not need them very often, but every now and then, it gets cold down there.

This is true... I've even seen it snow. For some reason though, the snow was isolated only on Main Street in the Magic Kingdom. Also, snow in Florida is different then in the north. It's sudsier (is that a word??). ;)

ABQ

Imagine a line with a hundred people in front of you waiting to get on a Gondola. The line is in constant motion. In less than three minutes, you're on the gondola (2,200 people per hour). Depending where you're going, you arrive in 5-15 minutes.

Now, imagine a line with a hundred people in front of you waiting for a bus. Luckily a bus is there, but it takes only 50 people. You move up and then stop. You're standing there 10-15 minutes waiting for the next bus. It takes 5 minutes to load. It takes 10-20 minutes to get to the park.

Which would you prefer?
Going against the Disney grain and not going to say you're using a Jedi Mind Trick, instead, you're using simple hypnosis to make us prefer the gondola.

latest

WDWbuff2001

Which would you prefer?
Don't forget the views from each perspective

jbolen2

Ahh, now I bet what was happening was the bus, as it picked up at FW probably read Wilderness Lodge, and then as it arrived at the WL, the same bus then became the bus to the MK. So two routes on one physical bus.

When we make our annual trip to the fort in dec, this is how they do it on the busy days. The boats are slow but by time the bus goes back to wilderness lodge it balances out travel time to mk.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom