News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Kamikaze

I'd like to see the gondolas stay open past Epcot's closing as well. I love staying at the BoardWalk, but some nights that place is just dead. It should help that Resort Guests from 4 other Resorts can have easier access to the night time entertainment around Crescent Lake.

I know if I were on the Skyliner line, I'd take it over for some entertainment at BWI Y/B and S/D. I'd just like it to be running till at least midnight so it would be easy to get back to Caribbean, art, pop, riviera.

I would guess it will follow the same policy as the buses - running 2 hours after park close. Although the monorail is only 1 hour after close, so it could be that, I guess.

montyz81

I wonder how much a PeopleMover type system would cost. It honestly looks like the cable length is about as far as that of the original PeopleMover in DL. I know there is far more infrastructure required resulting in additional cost, but wouldn't it be cool for the area to come one very tiny step closer to the original EPCOT? I bet with sponsor or ad space on all the cars, they could more then cover the cost for years to come.

SLUSHIE

I wonder how much a PeopleMover type system would cost. It honestly looks like the cable length is about as far as that of the original PeopleMover in DL. I know there is far more infrastructure required resulting in additional cost, but wouldn't it be cool for the area to come one very tiny step closer to the original EPCOT? I bet with sponsor or ad space on all the cars, they could more then cover the cost for years to come.
This basically is a people mover, its just suspended.

A real people mover would probably cost multiple times more and also wouldn't be finished by the time they need this to be done.

Kamikaze

It would be difficult to get a PeopleMover type system to the IG (and back out) without disturbing a lot of things. Then you're dealing with road clearances, etc.

Again, one of the big advantages of this system is that its tried and true and is extremely reliable. While the TTA/PeopleMover is pretty reliable, its nowhere on the level of gondola systems.

Creathir

I would MUCH rather have seen the People Mover than an off the shelf gondola system.
Imagine if they took the People Mover concept, modernized it with the microprocessors and technology of today, and built something truly incredible.

Point to point transportation system without stopping at stations...

Would have been amazing.

SLUSHIE

I would MUCH rather have seen the People Mover than an off the shelf gondola system.
Imagine if they took the People Mover concept, modernized it with the microprocessors and technology of today, and built something truly incredible.

Would have been amazing.

Something like that exists already, and they have it in places like airports in London and the middle east.

Not cheap though. Also requires construction of suspended roadways etc and does not have anywhere near the capacity that the gondola will have.

26bf6a3d9650ea797331026f555b4b60.jpg

SLUSHIE

Another benefit of a gondola is that they require incredibly little daily maintenance. Various safety and maintenance checks are done daily, but the only thing that ever really needed to be done on a daily basis is add more air to the inflatable drive tires in the stations (which is checked every morning by smacking the tires with a crescent wrench) or lubricate the rails on the doors. Every once in a while you can get a sticky door, because it froze overnight etc, and then when the door gets the open/close mechanism and the door sticks it can cause the cable in the door mechanism to snap.

Every winter (at a ski resort) they get a full inspection where major components may need to be replaced.

peter11435

I know this is a couple days old, and a bit off topic, but that's not correct. The bus does run to MK from both Fort Wilderness and the WL.
From wilderness Lodge yes. But they no longer run buses from the fort to Magic Kingdom except occasionally during peak holidays.

ABQ

From wilderness Lodge yes. But they no longer run buses from the fort to Magic Kingdom except occasionally during peak holidays.
Then I guess it was peak holiday time, as last December they ran down the service road, the same road that you can take a surrey along between the WL and the Tri Circle D Ranch. In other words, the bus from WL was sharing service with FW and taking guests to and from the MK.

peter11435

Then I guess it was peak holiday time, as last December they ran down the service road, the same road that you can take a surrey along between the WL and the Tri Circle D Ranch. In other words, the bus from WL was sharing service with FW and taking guests to and from the MK.
Possible watercraft was down or they were running due to peak demand.

GCTales

I know this is a couple days old, and a bit off topic, but that's not correct. The bus does run to MK from both Fort Wilderness and the WL.

For wilderness you need to take the internal bus to the landing and the ferry to MK. No bus from FW direct to MK.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Just looked it up and the bus loops at FW can take you to the boat or to WL's bus stop for a transfer to the MK's bus.

ABQ

Just looked it up and the bus loops at FW can take you to the boat or to WL's bus stop for a transfer to the MK's bus.
Ahh, now I bet what was happening was the bus, as it picked up at FW probably read Wilderness Lodge, and then as it arrived at the WL, the same bus then became the bus to the MK. So two routes on one physical bus.

mm121

Would have been amazing.

They wouldnt have to create it from scratch, systems like that already exist. Heathrow airport has one, along with other places.

mm121

Something like that exists already, and they have it in places like airports in London and the middle east.

Not cheap though. Also requires construction of suspended roadways etc and does not have anywhere near the capacity that the gondola will have.

26bf6a3d9650ea797331026f555b4b60.jpg

while this system is good, there are some newer ones that use a steel guideway instead of concrete so that is cheaper and easier to build and work around obstacles

systems like these could be great to connect groups of hotels together, one big advantage would be they could be built and opened in sections rather than having to unvehile a whole system at once

however if self driving car technology keeps moving forward like it is, those would be able to use existing infrastructure, which i think is the plan they are currently hoping to move towards

create the system as the 'minnie vans' now then down the road slowly switch the cars to automated driverless vehicles as those become available

Daveeeeed

Does anyone know about The Skyliner Merchandise? It is pretty standard for Disney to have playsets, t-shirts, etc. for their unique transportation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom