News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Creathir

If they do expand it I really don't seem them every trying to connect everything to everything else with gondolas. This will always be just one element of a larger transportation system.
Agreed. It feels like we are getting pieces of a major system, but the missing piece is what connects everything together.

You have this system for the Epcot/DHS area resorts, monorail for Bay Lake resorts, and a rumored light rail for AK area resorts...

Now they just need to be connected...

SLUSHIE

We wont know till its done probably, but I highly doubt this is one continuous loop. This is very likely at least 2 separate lines if not 3

NeXuS1000

Future planning.

Ah right, that makes sense. I'm guessing the top-line queued priority would be Coronado, which is almost a continued straight line from Riviera to the connector. And then I'm guessing more forward looking planning would connect it all the way down to Blizzard -> All-Star and AK -> AKL?

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Forgive me if this has already been asked: What is the guest capacity for these gondolas? Are we talking comfortable for a family of four or 25+ crammed in a cabin?

Texas84

Future planning.
hmmmm-hmmm.jpg.png

Alltid Oavsett

Interesting.. so its true they are getting cable cars. Several months ago there were somewhere (in this forum???) a notice that some executive at Doppelmayr (world's largest cable car manufacturer) spilled the beans at some conference or something like that.

This is not an attraction, it is a transportation. OF COURSE it will be enclosed. These things are really super reliable. These are the same people that build the cable cars in the Alps (think major snow storms) as well as in several Latin american cities (think torrential rain and winds).

Take a look at the video in this link, which is from Doppelmayrs cars in La Paz. https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2014/apr/09/largest-urban-cable-car-la-paz-bolivia

Last edited:

Daveeeeed

Interesting.. so its true they are getting cable cars. Several months ago there were somewhere (in this forum???) a notice that some executive at Doppelmayr (world's largest cable car manufacturer) spilled the beans at some conference or something like that.

This is not an attraction, it is a transportation. OF COURSE it will have AC and OF COURSE it will be enclosed. These things are really super reliable. These are the same people that build the cable cars in the Alps (think major snow storms) as well as in several Latin american cities (think torrential rain and winds).

Take a look at the video in this link, which is from Doppelmayrs cars in La Paz. https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2014/apr/09/largest-urban-cable-car-la-paz-bolivia
The first place where it leaked was when @danlb_2000 found out through the permits.

Kamikaze

Where did you get this info? This size is hardly a size used in a transportation system, not (cost) effective. REALLY doubt anything under 25 pax, probably much more.

Its 8-10. Probably 8. Been confirmed by insiders many times in this thread, and this is what most urban gondola systems use, as well as most ski resort gondolas. The efficiency is not a concern since the cars are constantly arriving.

thomas998

Ya know this looks like an interesting concept that has been used in sky resorts.... But when you really start to think about it, there are some real problems that I wonder about. 1) it works at a sky resort because the temps are generally darned cold and you are bundled up like an Eskimo... we are talking about having this thing going in Florida where frost bite isn't a problem... How are they going to keep these things cool? While they could leave them open air that would be an issue as people would be able to drop things which was one of the issues when they had a skyride in the park... are they really going to put air conditioners on each gondola? That would be very expensive requiring a unit on every car. 2) what happens when it breaks down? I'm sure anyone that has been on to sky resorts has probably experienced the breakdowns... Here you are going to have the cars spread out over miles of terrain where it is often going to be difficult to get to the cars if/when they breakdown. 3) How do they deal with choke points? In the one drawing they have two resorts feeding a station that then connect to EPCOT... how do they expect to have 2 cars dropping off people at a point that will only have 1 car going out... Assuming all the cars operate at the same speed which is likely you would have 2 car loads of people going in the morning to a point where only 1 car was leaving... This is going to create some big congested spots...

As much as I enjoy riding these types of things I don't see how this make much sense at Disneyworld.

fgmnt

Where did you get this info? This size is hardly a size used in a transportation system, not (cost) effective. REALLY doubt anything under 25 pax, probably much more.

Unless they go for a much smaller system of course.

Think about it this way. A WDW resort bus can hold what, 50 people? Let's say that for each of the two parks, a full bus is dispatched every 20 minutes. I have never seen 100 people line up for a bus for either of these two gates before, but considering 5 of 6 new E-tickets will be built in these two parks over the next 4 years, let's go ahead and say they need it at peak.

You'll see a nontrivial wait if you are in Epcot and want to get to AoA/Pop since you allegedly will need to disembark at each one. Even so, all stations are taking and receiving riders CONSTANTLY, stop-by-stop. Can a station unload a group of 100 and reload another group of 100 people every 20 minutes? Can 10-13 cars arrive every 20 minutes?

100%. Easily.

LukeS7

People seem to be forgetting a key fact here: Disney is a company worth billions of dollars, they are paying people smarter than any of us here to design this. No engineer for a corporation that big is going to finish designing the system, have it start construction, and then go "oh sh*t, I forgot that Florida is hot" :rolleyes:

Thebolt

Yes, but your 30 feet closer then normal. So that's good for about 900 degrees, no?

The peak of Mount Everest is a good bit nearer the sun, and its cool up there....
All they need to do is make the masts about 1km high, and the thing will be icy cool all day. Make them telescopic, to cope with seasonal changes in temperature.

If you are thinking it is impractical to move a cable car up a near vertical incline.... You are right. Thats why the stations will also be on telescopic legs so they start at the same height.

Alternatively, they could go for the boring approach of shading and ventilation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom