News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Princess Leia

@EricsBiscuit or anyone else who has been on Tron in Shanghai- how is the story set up? When you walk into the queue are you suddenly in the grid? Or is there some sort of door that you walk through that has an effect that puts you in the grid? I really hope it's not the first thing :(

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Also, for those of you who enjoy the (relative) quiet of that Toontown/Circus-Tomorrowland path, best get a few extra walks along it now. Once TRON opens it won't be so hidden or quiet anymore.

Another piece of my childhood destroyed!!!! And yet another entry for YesterPath...

If it makes you feel any better, you can go to the YesterPath web site where they document all the old pathways that are no longer there. You'll see pictures and videos of the path. The users there are arranging a petition for Disney to build a park that re-creates all the old pathways. They're assuring Disney it would be a rousing success and very profitable.

djdan888

I guess since that is still concept art, I see no ADA accessibility to Tron. Just stairs. Hopefully just because of the crudeness of the drawing.

rle4lunch

It'd be awesome if they would add 'digital world' type vegetation to the outside transition areas into the ride. Or perhaps a tunnel that represents the MCP engaging the transfer beam transporting guests from the real world onto the grid...

So many 'tomorrowland ideas' floating through my brain now.

Maeryk

It'd be awesome if they would add 'digital world' type vegetation to the outside transition areas into the ride. Or perhaps a tunnel that represents the MCP engaging the transfer beam transporting guests from the real world onto the grid...

So many 'tomorrowland ideas' floating through my brain now.

Yep. They have a choice. they either shoehorn in a cookie cutter ride, or they can adapt it and fiddle with it and make it unique to Florida. I rather suspect they'll go with the latter, much as they did with Space Mountain(s) to make them unique to their various parks. I don't care if Disney builds the same ride system a dozen times, as long as they distinguish them in some meaningful way from each other. Though I will say, there's a LOT more chance I'm going to jet across to DL to ride something, than pop into Shanghai just to check out Pirates and Tron..

WEDWAY100

I'm wondering if they remember that back in the mid-late 70's, you could see a lot of black soot from the train on the outside of the wedway track where the train passes under. Their solution was to paint that section of the track black. I believe that paint scheme is still there. So what would that do to glass and coaster supports? The train goes through Splash, so they obviously have some ventilation there.

rle4lunch

Yep. They have a choice. they either shoehorn in a cookie cutter ride, or they can adapt it and fiddle with it and make it unique to Florida. I rather suspect they'll go with the latter, much as they did with Space Mountain(s) to make them unique to their various parks. I don't care if Disney builds the same ride system a dozen times, as long as they distinguish them in some meaningful way from each other. Though I will say, there's a LOT more chance I'm going to jet across to DL to ride something, than pop into Shanghai just to check out Pirates and Tron..

If they take the time and approach Tron (and the TL upgrades) like they did with NFL (in regards to theming and detail), they'll have a winner.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I'm wondering if they remember that back in the mid-late 70's, you could see a lot of black soot from the train on the outside of the wedway track where the train passes under. Their solution was to paint that section of the track black. I believe that paint scheme is still there. So what would that do to glass and coaster supports? The train goes through Splash, so they obviously have some ventilation there.
Nah, everything was perfect back then, dontcha know? CMs would be cleaning that area every single night back then. ;)

Nickels5

I'm honestly looking forward to this more and more. I hope though for the average visitor to WDW they add more trains where people can "sit".. There is a large percentage of the population that won't be able to ride comfortably.
Honestly I am not too concerned about that at all. I would Imagine part of what makes this ride unique is the seating and to eliminate that due to other circumstances would be unfair to guests. I am fine with one row per train having actual seats, so everyone can ride it, but anything more then that would be unfair to the rest of the guests.

rle4lunch

Hopefully it's stairs only. Cut down the rider pool, cut down the wait times.

Amiright?

Does anyone think that Disney of all companies (with the litany of lawsuits for this, some warranted, some just dumb) would not incorporate a ramp or elevator. I think some people just want to see what type of stupid replies they'll get with their dumba$$ statements.

Casper Gutman

Does anyone think that Disney of all companies (with the litany of law suits for this, some warranted, some just dumb) would not incorporate a ramp or elevator. I think some people just want to see what type of stupid replies they'll get with their dumba$$ statements.

There will be an elevator, of course, but it's pretty clear that accommodating all body types and, particularly, handicapped guests is no longer a priority at WDW.

Maeryk

Honestly I am not too concerned about that at all. I would Imagine part of what makes this ride unique is the seating and to eliminate that due to other circumstances would be unfair to guests. I am fine with one row per train having actual seats, so everyone can ride it, but anything more then that would be unfair to the rest of the guests.

I doubt there will ever be "actual seats' on those trains.. it's not how the ride vehicle is designed. What people are talking about is a rather sensitive subject on the disney boards. To put it as politely as I can: Tron was designed for China. Where the average height and girth are far less than our gaijin country. People of extreme height.. or diameter.. have a hard time fitting in them. (See, also, the howling when FOP opened and people discovered they were too big for the banshees). I would imagine some re-tooling of the bikes will be necessary before it is going to open here. Even 7DMT can be a bear for some of us who are taller.. the lap bars are thigh crushing beasts for me, and I'm 6'3 and not at all wide.

But I think what they really need to open is a Wall*E ride where you just lay back on a hover chair and putter around while they beam ads into your face. That is what would make some people happy.

Casper Gutman

pishposh. no one can please all 6 billion of us, not even Disney.

And yet, since 1971 WDW has made a valiant attempt - better then any other theme park in America to accommodate everyone. That philosophy changed in Pandora, and it seems to be a permanent change.

And honestly, deciding not to make the effort to accommodate handicapped guests is particularly crummy and shouldn't be defended.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom