In regard to Beast, Mermaid, & Indiana

TDLFan

Original Poster
Does anyone know what was the original intended shelf life of these shows? I know they're still running, but I can't imagine they were intended for a 25+ year run. I imagine there were replacements planned over the years but the bean counters held them back. Will these three still be there when a shiny new Star Wars land opens? Hard to believe The Great Movie Ride got the axe before these three.

In my opinion I feel like they either need to update all 3 shows but if they do get rid of them for a new show maybe they can add like Tangled or Moana or now with the new theatre at MK they might get rid off the shows and just have a show at MK??

Karakasa

They don't seem like they were intended to stay as long as they did. They just didn't have anything to replace them in their particular venues so they stuck. It's not because of fan demand they stay- it's just, like with the Country Bears, they can't really plug anything into those spots. Frankly I think the only reason the American Idol Experience isn't still there in spite of AI ending is because they actually had Frozen to replace it with.

Herbie

The only options we've heard for replacements are Tangled for LM and an updated BatB, which don't particularly satisfy me. That was last year and talks have gone quiet. Would also like to hear if there were other ideas at any point.

Princess Leia

Of the three, BatB needs a serious refurb the most. It should be a full fledged 40+ minute show, instead of the 'best of' thing that's there now. It's gotten worse as the years have gone by.

Indy is mostly salvageable, IMO. The park is losing the studios theme, but it could be a decent stage show (without the director/movie set look) in its own right.

Mermaid needs to go. Now that the ride essentially tells the same story (but with Kiss the Girl included), it doesn't really have a purpose. I'd be pretty okay with a Moana show going in that space.

Christian Fronckowiak

In the Parks
Yes
You can look at the other shows that played in those venues for an idea of how long they were initially intended to run. It's not an exact science, but it gives you an idea.

From Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Disney's_Hollywood_Studios_attractions#Theater_of_the_Stars
Theater of the Stars
  • Hollywood! Hollywood! A Star-Studded Spectacular (May 1 – August 31, 1989)[1][2]
  • Dick Tracy starring in Diamond Double-Cross (May 21, 1990 – February 16, 1991)
  • Hollywood's Pretty Woman (September 24 – November 3, 1991)
  • Beauty and the Beast – Live on Stage (November 22, 1991 – present)
Animation Courtyard Theater

sunsetblvd26

Of the three, BatB needs a serious refurb the most. It should be a full fledged 40+ minute show, instead of the 'best of' thing that's there now. It's gotten worse as the years have gone by.

Indy is mostly salvageable, IMO. The park is losing the studios theme, but it could be a decent stage show (without the director/movie set look) in its own right.

Mermaid needs to go. Now that the ride essentially tells the same story (but with Kiss the Girl included), it doesn't really have a purpose. I'd be pretty okay with a Moana show going in that space.
The whole time they were talking about the new BatB show on the Disney cruise I kept thinking "why aren't they putting this show in DHS as an update too?"

UpAllNight

None of them are even very good shows...it's shocking that they're still running.

I hope for a full refresh, and updated Fantasmic whilst we're at it. There's a quality show over at WDS which they could easily import over if they wanted to be cheap.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom