Fast Furious delayed till 2018

Mike S

giphy.gif

No Name

Disaster was a great attraction. Shame, shame shame it's being replaced. Unfortunately, while they save a buck in reducing the number of employees they need, they lose a great experience. I think, in the long run, it will cost them moreso than save them money.

Poor decision-making at its finest.

JT3000

Disaster was a great attraction. Shame, shame shame it's being replaced. Unfortunately, while they save a buck in reducing the number of employees they need, they lose a great experience. I think, in the long run, it will cost them moreso than save them money.

Poor decision-making at its finest.

I'm not sure who they're supposed to be saving a buck on, other than the spieler, but that is certainly not why Disaster was closed. If anything, they will save a ton of money by not having to deal with the ever increasing maintenance required to keep it running. Oh, and I hear Fast & Furious is kinda popular in the small art-house film scene.

danpam1024

Recently saw a pic of the near finished exterior. Never saw the movies, just not a fan. But, like Fallon, I will ride when it opens and probably enjoy it :)

No Name

I'm not sure who they're supposed to be saving a buck on, other than the spieler, but that is certainly not why Disaster was closed. If anything, they will save a ton of money by not having to deal with the ever increasing maintenance required to keep it running. Oh, and I hear Fast & Furious is kinda popular in the small art-house film scene.

There are many employees in the filming room directing the "actors," shooting the footage, putting it together, etc. I don't know an exact number but it's certainly more than Fast and Furious will have.

This is the same part of the reason why The Backlot Tour closed, The Great Movie Ride's closure will be announced today, and the live CMs were replaced by recordings on Living with the Land. It's not just a Universal thing. They don't want to pay more than they need to to operate a successful attraction, but sometimes, these cuts really take away from the experience.

Fast and Furious is definitely popular, which is why it should be getting a better ride than this. Granted we haven't seen it yet, but when an entire ride in one park is a glorified version of a fraction of a ride from another park... that's not very exciting. I hope it's better than I painted it to be.

misterID

It was a total waste of property, no matter the cost effectiveness of maintenance or popularity of a franchise. They're cloning rides in the same park. F&F could have been an incredible attraction, an actual ride that was fast and furious. They decided not to do that. That's a shame. I'd rather have that SLOP attraction on this plot. What can you do? Hopefully it's fun and eventually temporary.

Disneyhead'71

There are many employees in the filming room directing the "actors," shooting the footage, putting it together, etc. I don't know an exact number but it's certainly more than Fast and Furious will have.

This is the same part of the reason why The Backlot Tour closed, The Great Movie Ride's closure will be announced today, and the live CMs were replaced by recordings on Living with the Land. It's not just a Universal thing. They don't want to pay more than they need to to operate a successful attraction, but sometimes, these cuts really take away from the experience.

Fast and Furious is definitely popular, which is why it should be getting a better ride than this. Granted we haven't seen it yet, but when an entire ride in one park is a glorified version of a fraction of a ride from another park... that's not very exciting. I hope it's better than I painted it to be.
The last 2 attractions Universal opened have live actors in the queues and preshows. Universal is doing it more, not less.

misterID

I have to say FF set it's self up for a thrill ride. You could literally run a coaster around through the parking lot and it would be accurate to the movie. FF is all back alley scenes, industrial, parking lots, parking garages etc. You could literally run a ride through back stage and it would be in character. Why not? It wouldn't have to be exactly a coaster but you could go right over the Potter train and it would be in character for the movies. Maybe something more like test track but inside scenes set up for a high speed outdoor run?

From the sounds of it FF isn't going to be very good and it's not like the movie is a classic, It's an action movie about cars. Think this will be a missed op to do something really good and memorable.
They are getting Mario Kart, and that was the best way to go as far as a F&F ride, an actual race through a city. Hell, even the DK mine train jump effect would gave been cool. It just seems like they're thinking small on it. The possibilities for a ride with that IP, even though I hate the franchise, is really incredible, like what you described.

JT3000

It was a total waste of property, no matter the cost effectiveness of maintenance or popularity of a franchise. They're cloning rides in the same park. F&F could have been an incredible attraction, an actual ride that was fast and furious. They decided not to do that. That's a shame. I'd rather have that SLOP attraction on this plot. What can you do? Hopefully it's fun and eventually temporary.

Don't you think we should actually wait and see what the ride looks like first, before labeling it a waste? It would be easy to assume it's just a clone of what Hollywood got, but that wouldn't require this much space. Something has to give.

What do you mean "cloning rides in the same park?"

Disneyhead'71

Don't you think we should actually wait and see what the ride looks like first, before labeling it a waste? It would be easy to assume it's just a clone of what Hollywood got, but that wouldn't require this much space. Something has to give.

This is basically a retheme Kong. Same ride system. Same type of 3D 360 Screen. Just with a F&F theme.

JT3000

This is basically a retheme Kong. Same ride system. Same type of 3D 360 Screen. Just with a F&F theme.

Yes, that's what people have been saying. However, knowing the ride system only tells you so much about the experience itself, so we really don't know how it will compare to Hollywood yet. It's a little early to be shoehorning it into the clone category

andysol

They aren't replacing Disaster because of staffing costs. The system was breaking down daily and parts for certain aspects weren't able to be repaired without significant costs. Ones that didn't justify the small popularity for the ride.
As for staffing- even if Disaster had 100 more employees than F&F (it won't)- @ $15/hr - in 40 years it's less than $22 million. 40 years. Do you think F&F costs more than 22 mil? ;) It wasn't a labor issue.

I'm not excited for this ride at all- and I really enjoy Kong. F&F, the acting, the all but cloned (from Kong) ride just falls on deaf ears for me. Compound that with the fact it's going to be a virtual queue- and now it won't even eat the crowds for the other rides- so it doesn't even add capacity to the park outside of who will be riding or experiencing the preshow.
So a resounding meh from me. That said, I expect to see so many F&F shirts being sold it'll make my head spin. It's a missed opportunity from a diversity/ride perspective- and I'm hoping this is the end of UCs lackluster screen heavy track record here recently. VB was a great step. Nintendo, allegedly will be also- but UC needs to step it up after all those wdw announcements.

misterID

Not original. Another tram tour special. Same screen based ride system. Same simulated speed. I said it could be cool. Cloning as in creating too many similar rides without variety.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom