Fast Furious delayed till 2018

Tom Morrow

You can't wait for the "rightful" backlash to an attraction no one has either experienced yet or knows the general quality of? And you wonder why some of us think you have an agenda.
It's Kong. They're taking the (already completely terrible) segment from the Hollywood tour and doing the same thing - adding a few more screen scenes. If it's anything better than this then I will be very surprised. It's the ultimate in laziness and the most uninspired thing they could possibly do. Because you know when everyone hears of an attraction dedicated to Fast and Furious, they'll immediately envision themselves sitting on a big slow moving truck looking at screens. I don't like Fallon and also think that it is cheap, uninspired, and lazy, but at least they had to come up with an original concept for it. Following Kong and Fallon with this *will* get major backlash.

I both praise and criticize both resorts when applicable. From 2010 to 2015 I was praising Universal on here and in person because we saw such an increase in quality all across the board, meanwhile WDW was stagnating with the quality plummeting. Now, I'm beginning to see the quality, service, and upkeep at Universal slip again, along with their old "go only part of the way to greatness" ways.... while Disney is finally kicking everything into high gear, upkeep is vastly improved over 5 years ago, etc.

JoeCamel

It's Kong. They're taking the (already completely terrible) segment from the Hollywood tour and doing the same thing - adding a few more screen scenes. If it's anything better than this then I will be very surprised. It's the ultimate in laziness and the most uninspired thing they could possibly do. Because you know when everyone hears of an attraction dedicated to Fast and Furious, they'll immediately envision themselves sitting on a big slow moving truck looking at screens. I don't like Fallon and also think that it is cheap, uninspired, and lazy, but at least they had to come up with an original concept for it. Following Kong and Fallon with this *will* get major backlash.

I both praise and criticize both resorts when applicable. From 2010 to 2015 I was praising Universal on here and in person because we saw such an increase in quality all across the board, meanwhile WDW was stagnating with the quality plummeting. Now, I'm beginning to see the quality, service, and upkeep at Universal slip again, along with their old "go only part of the way to greatness" ways.... while Disney is finally kicking everything into high gear, upkeep is vastly improved over 5 years ago, etc.
Ummm.... when your corporate overlords say "build this" you do it. Give UC free reign and they will show you something special. The decision was made to put current IPs in USF and that is bad no matter who does it. Hope for better out of SNW

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

Ummm.... when your corporate overlords say "build this" you do it. Give UC free reign and they will show you something special. The decision was made to put current IPs in USF and that is bad no matter who does it. Hope for better out of SNL
Hence why I'm criticizing the "corporate overlords" and not Universal Creative.

It's frustrating to see them raise the bar for the entire industry and then revert back to their half-a--ed ways of before.

Last edited:

Mike S

Ummm.... when your corporate overlords say "build this" you do it. Give UC free reign and they will show you something special. The decision was made to put current IPs in USF and that is bad no matter who does it. Hope for better out of SNW.
There you go.

Bairstow

It just boggles my mind that they're doing a Fast and Furious ride that's not actually, you know, fast.
If it were me I'd just put in a really long, terrain-hugging launched coaster and have it zip around the perimeter of the park. The backs of show buildings and access roads would actually fit the world of the film just fine.

Think Cheetah Hunt with onboard audio.

JoeCamel

It just boggles my mind that they're doing a Fast and Furious ride that's not actually, you know, fast.
If it were me I'd just put in a really long, terrain-hugging launched coaster and have it zip around the perimeter of the park. The backs of show buildings and access roads would actually fit the world of the film just fine.

Think Cheetah Hunt with onboard audio.
Yeah, well, not in the cards here. They are only putting up the count not trying to break new ground here. Maybe when this one times out and they replace it.

Disneyhead'71

I still curious as to how Kong and Fallon are "lazy" or half-assed.

I "get" being tired of screen rides. I, personally, am tired of AA based attractions as presented in the "classic" Disney style. I find them incredibly boring. So, for a long time I've had to separate my feelings for a presentation style and just judge what is actually being presented. Fallon, whether you like it or not, is a well executed D Ticket attraction. The fit and finish of the materials used in the queue preshow rooms are top notch. The preshow is highly entertaining. The render on the ride film is exceptional. And unlike the trend these days it is actually theme appropriate for the "land" it is in.

With Fallon now rating the highest in the resort on guest surveys, I think Universal isn't all that concerned about the talking points list making the rounds in the fan community.

Tom Morrow

I "get" being tired of screen rides. I, personally, am tired of AA based attractions as presented in the "classic" Disney style. I find them incredibly boring. So, for a long time I've had to separate my feelings for a presentation style and just judge what is actually being presented. Fallon, whether you like it or not, is a well executed D Ticket attraction. The fit and finish of the materials used in the queue preshow rooms are top notch. The preshow is highly entertaining. The render on the ride film is exceptional. And unlike the trend these days it is actually theme appropriate for the "land" it is in.

With Fallon now rating the highest in the resort on guest surveys, I think Universal isn't all that concerned about the talking points list making the rounds in the fan community.
You must work for Universal PR, right? How else would you know that Fallon is the highest rated attraction? (A fact I really don't want to believe, but then again, The Big Bang Theory is the most popular sitcom, soo...)

It's already been discussed in depth why Kong (to some degree at least), Fallon, and FNF are lazy.

Disneyhead'71

You must work for Universal PR, right? How else would you know that Fallon is the highest rated attraction? (A fact I really don't want to believe, but then again, The Big Bang Theory is the most popular sitcom, soo...)

It's already been discussed in depth why Kong (to some degree at least), Fallon, and FNF are lazy.
I have spent the past 8 years in local media dealing on a regular basis with the PR departments from everyone from Disney to Mango's/Skyplex. I have friends that work in PR at all the parks including Gatorland. I have been told flat out by Universal that Fallon is blowing the up the surveys. And I have friends that have backed up what I was told. What people in the theme park community often overlook, and is something you won't find combing through permits and dissecting blueprints is the "fun quotient" of an attraction. Apparently, people think Fallon is "fun". Someone musta forgotten to tell them they are supposed to hate it because...reasons.

And I wouldn't call F&F lazy. I have a lot of other uncomplimentary adjectives for it though. It looks exactly like a project that was spawned by greed, rushed through the creative process (fast tracked), shoehorned in a "land" it doesn't belong in all because it did well in Hollywood. Using this ride system for this IP is nonsensical. And adding another 3D attraction to USF is just plain crazy. And on top of that I personally loathe the Fast and Furious franchise.

Last edited:

captainkidd

I actually really liked Kong this year since we weren't in the front of the truck.

If Fallon is the highest rated attraction, then people have low standards. It's boring and lazy, even by 3D simulator attractions. There was nobody (literally) in the gift shop after the ride.

Adding on to the IT issues, I agree. I don't mind lanyards, but it would sure help if they went the MB route. We had a problem with 1 MB all week at Disney. It was frustrating, but it was a glitch with 1 band. Every single day someone's annual pass didn't work with their fingerprint at Universal. That system sucks. By the end of the week I was ready to lose it on the next person who asked us "Is that the same finger you used before?" If there are 25 people in front of you at a Disney turnstile you'll be in the park in about 1-2 minutes. At Universal, about 10 minutes.

cheezbat

Of course it's CURRENTLY rated the highest at the resort. Every year that title always seems to go to the newest ride. I bet next year the flop that is Fast and the Furious will take that title.

Sadly the general public will eat up whatever is thrown at them...so screens or not, it'll be a success.
Us fans here on the boards often forget we're not the theme parks' target demographic...they care about what the general masses will think.

Personally, I'm like you guys. I hate the idea of F&F being a Kong clone. It's completely uninspiring. I loved Kong though....much in part to not only using screens, but also having set pieces and animatronics. Meeting the big guy in the flesh at the end really gave me a warm nostalgic feeling...reminding me of the good 'ol Kongfrontation.
Furious will have nothing like that. Screens, bus type vehicles, and MAYBE set pieces. Will it be fun? Possibly. Will it be a wild and furious ride? Doubt it. Will it be fast. No way.

Regardless of all our banter, there's nothing we can do to change it. We're getting this ride as is no matter how we want things. I'm moving past this one and looking forward to Super Nintendo World, and hoping for more different and exciting attractions following these past few screen based rides.

captainkidd

I got so annoyed with it I got a sticker saying I needed to show my ID but didn't have to scan my finger.

I'll get into this later, but one thing we noticed this trip, definite changes to Express. Some rides were fine, but others it was really bad on. Hulk, Kong, Mummy, Trolley Ride (actually was crowded a couple times), Transformers, they were letting in as many regular guests as Express.

Tom Morrow

I'll get into this later, but one thing we noticed this trip, definite changes to Express. Some rides were fine, but others it was really bad on. Hulk, Kong, Mummy, Trolley Ride (actually was crowded a couple times), Transformers, they were letting in as many regular guests as Express.
More and more people have Express these days, Premiere AP after 4 PM, the hotels, there are more purchasing options than ever, and Universal is very loose with regulating all of it to the point where it's frustrating and detrimental to everyone, both Express holders and non. I hope they make some adjustments because I don't want it to become like Disney's Fastpass, which drastically artificially inflates the standby wait times at nearly all times.
Of course it's CURRENTLY rated the highest at the resort. Every year that title always seems to go to the newest ride. I bet next year the flop that is Fast and the Furious will take that title.
Yeah, this is what I was thinking, combined with possibly skewing the data. "Oh, yeah, everyone loves it, wink wink"

UpAllNight

Kong wasn't a disaster but it did suffer from some lazy decisions. The story told throughout the attraction is weak and seemed like an afterthought to the brilliant exterior and queue. The fact it's completely screenbased and then we roll past an (impressive) Kong just seemed so random. It suffered because Shanghai's Pirates videos circulated a few weeks before softs and people became aware of the possibilities when blending sets, AA's & screens...and this basically didn't even attempt to blend these aspects together. It seemed unimaginative and made Disney look ahead of the game for the first time in a decade.

Fallon is good for what it is. The lazyness here is not the design or implementation of the attraction, it's that it actually happened. Universal Studios is a mess at the moment & it kills me to say that because I adore the place...but it is screen city and it stinks of bad decisions and laziness. Individually good-great rides...collectively torturous. Limited reridabilty.

I'm going to add the Hulk redo to my recent disappointment list. They improved the queue a little, the trains are sleek as hell..but I expected more. The story didn't get told through the queue until the end. I actually prefer the old launch tunnel...if they were going above and beyond, they could have enclosed the brake run and added an end/show scene.

And Volcano Bay..l'm heading back next year to give it the second chance it deserves but they hyped the hell out of this and dared to call it a theme park, a title weirdly only themeparkinsider choose to acknowledge (cough payroll). It's nice...it'd be awesome anywhere other than in Orlando with Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon up the road. The theme suffered lazy execution in places, around the back side of the Volcano and the lack of theme in the 2 lazy rivers.

Universal have definitely stalled after Diagon. Which is increadible when they're sitting on the rights for Marvel & Jurassic Park. I fear they've suffered what Disney do at times...believing their own hype.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom