D23 Star Wars Info - A Galaxy of Stories: Photos, Video, Deep Thoughts

Curious Constance

Might be hard to turn this into a sexy costume.
Disney_Collectible_Certificate.jpg

But at least I'd have to be "branded" with his "signature".

BrianLo

4x2, you mean? While the others are 3x2? Anyway whatever, I get the point.

I too like the individual seats. I imagine each seat will have its own restraints because this is more thrilling than those other trackless rides.

Ha yes... I was post call. Surprised I managed to string together sentences.

sedati

According to the Clone Wars cartoon series, the A-wing came shortly after the v-wing. It's was considered an old out of date ship by the Battle of Endor. It shows how the rebels were throwing everything they had at the second Death Star from the ancient A-wing to the modern B-wing and X-wing. Even the Y-wing was seen in the Clone Wars. Hera in Star Wars Rebels flew an A-wing before the B-wing was designed. Her A-wing was a left over from the Clone Wars just like Chopper. I guess it is possible to see an A-wing sitting around considering the Falcon is even older.

A-Wings are actually going to be in Episode 8. You can even see them in the trailer. Look to the left of Poe and BB-8 as his X-Wing explodes. It's red just like in the model. You can also see them in the space battle footage, but you may have to slow it down to really catch it.

nevol

A-Wings are actually going to be in Episode 8. You can even see them in the trailer. Look to the left of Poe and BB-8 as his X-Wing explodes. It's red just like in the model. You can also see them in the space battle footage, but you may have to slow it down to really catch it.

At that star wars convention in, say, March? Trowbridge and his team revealed more details than we have ever gotten anywhere else about the land.
I think they have their time periods a little messed up here. They show a Resistance X-wing but the Falcon has the original trilogy radar dish. I think I also saw a First Order ship but also an Imperial Shuttle. Also A-Wing would be too old to exist during the First Order since it is a late Clone Wars ship. I'm sure we will see astromechs that don't make sense in the earlier or later period. Just Star Wars nerd nikpicks.

At that star wars convention in, say, March? Trowbridge and his team revealed more details than we have ever gotten anywhere else about the land. Not going to rewatch it right now but the story is set in later episodes and the presence of older artifacts and designs is entirely justifiable through historicity. For example, when you go to Los Angeles in 2017, it still looks like Los Angeles from 1965 and LA from 1940 with art deco strip malls and suburban tract housing. It isn't like the built environment flips every year. People still drive old cars on the road etc. So this is set later, and since its kind of the "route 66" of the galaxy, it is a run-down planet full of bounty hunters and tons of artifacts from every episode of star wars. it is masterfully clever, if you ask me. This way they don't need to disappoint anybody by setting the experience in any one particular star wars episode. It is later/current episodes, but not lacking in the classic fighter planes and stuff life that that people are nostalgic for.

Check out the video before tomorrow. I'm eager to see how much of what was revealed here is presented as "new" and how much ACTUALLY new tidbits we get.

D

Deleted member 107043

A Reddit user found an image in the the Parks blog source code titled "Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge Announced as Name for Star Wars Lands at Disney Parks."

https://www.reddit.com/r/Disneyland/comments/6nccmp/spoiler_name_of_star_wars_land_revealed/

*rolls eyes*

The name is way too much. It sounds more like a movie title than a themed land in Disney theme park, but maybe that's the point. I guess it hardly matters since everyone will call it SW Land no matter what the official name is.

TP2000

Original Poster
Well, gang, I did it. I just got back from D23 Expo. I went this afternoon, strolled up and bought a day ticket and walked right in. Lines and crowds everywhere inside. And the usual collection of very, um, unique interpretations of Disney characters wandering around, plus a lot of very passionate fans.

I went right over to the WDI Pavilion thing and found a line that wasn't that bad, only 20 minutes, and 5 minutes into the wait a "Parade" came by. The Parade consisted of some very, very enthusiastic Disney employees in D23 t-shirts carrying balloons; they looked like very happy cubicle dwellers, the "Fun Girls from Payroll" and that sort of crowd. They were cute because they were so obviously thrilled to be out of the cubicle and at D23 marching around. Then came a gaggle of beloved Disney characters, then some semi-professional dancers, plus Mickey Mouse and the Disneyland Band. A marching band inside a convention center is louder than you'd think. Then came the "Grand Marshalls"; Mark Hamill in one of those cool old electric cars that Walt used to drive around Disneyland in. Then came the other grand marshall, Stan Lee who had propped his feet up on the seatback of his old-timey electric car while a Main Street CM chaufferred him. Hysterical. Then some more balloons and waving, and then rope girls and it was over. Random, but fun.

And with that I was whisked in with another big group of people into the WDI Pavilion. Everyone runs over to "the model". It's bigger and bolder and more detailed in person than it looks in photos or video. There's a pack of people three deep up against the model, so I take a step back and notice a raised viewing platform at the back of the room. I go up there and have the thing to myself and was just taking it all in. A nice young, bearded Imagineer in a WDI shirt and nametag steps up and says "Pretty neat, huh?" and I agree. We get to chatting, he points out some cool features I hadn't noticed, and tells me what to look for in the model when I get up closer (there are indeed multiple waterfalls on the southwest side of the land, and the Fantasmic! boat storage is represented in this model with a broader berm than the DHS version will have).

I ask him what he does at WDI and he says "Oh, this and that on a few things that haven't been announced yet, but I'm also the show producer for this pavilion this year". Ha! Not quite as funny as '09 when a nice lady Imagineer I later learned was Kathy Mangum walked me all around the Cars Land model, but pretty darn funny. I told him he does great work and I look forward to the real thing in '19, and he says "I'll see you there sir, and race you to the Millennium Falcon!". Nice young guy. So obviously proud of his work and his company, which is great in a young person.

A few minutes later I had worked my way up through the crowd to the model and was shuffling along as perky young Imagineers on microphones pointed stuff out to the crowd. This thing is incredible! Worth the price of admission alone just to see it and inspect it. What you don't quite get in photos and video is how deep and developed and vast the "town" portion of the land is on the right side of the model. It's like New Orleans Square times ten. They have the space and square footage to offer all sorts of retail/dining/entertainment offerings here it appears. Then the two big E Tickets in hulking buildings camo'd by all that incredible rockwork and cliffs. Just super, super impressive to see in person.

I've been to Tokyo DisneySea multiple times and am headed back to Japan soon, but if this land ends up like the model Disneyland just out-did Tokyo DisneySea. Which I never would have thought possible, but it just might happen with this Star Wars thing.

The rest of the afternoon was spent strolling the show floor, passing up on the long queues to get into the Archives exhibit, the Disney Dream Store, and Mickey's of Glendale store. I did walk right into an interesting Imagineering panel on landscape architecture in the parks, with some really neat photos and info from WDI landscape architects. Very interesting! Then I left. I really just wanted to see "the model", which everyone was calling it as they milled around the convention center. The odd parade and the landscape architecture panel was icing on the cake.

A very succesful D23 Expo already, and we haven't even had the "Big Announcements!" coming on Saturday afternoon at the Parks Presentation.

Last edited:

britain

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge? Sure, whatever. It will be in small font under STAR WARS, so no matter to me. Better than Star Wars Experience. And as Dr. Hans said, everyone is just going to call it Star Wars Land.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom