Pop Century Room Rehab

I am Timmy

Can't they put some art back on the walls? That would help tremendously, I think, without taking away from the modern clean lines they seem to be going for. It looks like an unfinished room. I'm just going to bring some art of my own.....

I agree with the necessity to refurb the rooms of Pop Century, the room was not totally comfortable (for example the carpet). But doesn't mean that the new room have removed de closet. The new closet its only 25% of the old closet...for 4 persons its impossible. Nobody has thought to designa a closet more bigger. :banghead:

sgtbtlbailey

Has anyone stayed in any of the refurbished rooms yet? I just completed an online chat via the Disney World website with a cast member and he completely denied any internal refurbishment at Pop. He told me the only renovation they are undergoing is some external work. We are looking to go next April and we're wondering which buildings have been renovated .

peter11435

Has anyone stayed in any of the refurbished rooms yet? I just completed an online chat via the Disney World website with a cast member and he completely denied any internal refurbishment at Pop. He told me the only renovation they are undergoing is some external work. We are looking to go next April and we're wondering which buildings have been renovated .
Just building 8 is done. 7 and 9 are in progress. All should be complete by next April.

allgiggles

Phone/chat CM's are famous for giving inaccurate and down-right incorrect information. There is most definitely a room refurbishment project going on at Pop Century. I haven't personally stayed in a refurbished room but there are several people who have posted pictures on a Pop Century Room Renovation thread over on the Disboards as well as other places. There are also several videos on Youtube. At this point, only Building 8 has been refurbished and put back in to inventory. It appears as though building 9 is close to being ready to go back into inventory and building 7 is being worked on. It's believed that they will work "down" through the decades....so the 70's would be next, followed by the 60's and then the 50's. The permits for the project go through April 2018, so by the time you're there all or nearly all of the buildings will be finished.

sgtbtlbailey

Phone/chat CM's are famous for giving inaccurate and down-right incorrect information. There is most definitely a room refurbishment project going on at Pop Century. I haven't personally stayed in a refurbished room but there are several people who have posted pictures on a Pop Century Room Renovation thread over on the Disboards as well as other places. There are also several videos on Youtube. At this point, only Building 8 has been refurbished and put back in to inventory. It appears as though building 9 is close to being ready to go back into inventory and building 7 is being worked on. It's believed that they will work "down" through the decades....so the 70's would be next, followed by the 60's and then the 50's. The permits for the project go through April 2018, so by the time you're there all or nearly all of the buildings will be finished.
Thank you! We are looking at the preferred rooms around the Hippy Dippy pool so hopefully they'll be done in time. Still trying to figure out if the beds are doubles or queens if anyone can verify. We've stayed there before and they were doubles. It would be awesome if they've upgraded to queens.

Disney Dad 3000

Thank you! We are looking at the preferred rooms around the Hippy Dippy pool so hopefully they'll be done in time. Still trying to figure out if the beds are doubles or queens if anyone can verify. We've stayed there before and they were doubles. It would be awesome if they've upgraded to queens.

We just got back from a few nights there (first time at POP) and definitely didn't have a refurbished room. While small, the room was adequate enough since we weren't in there much. I did have ti be careful opening the door as one night I did walk right into one of the doubles that was in front of the door. We did have a preferred room by the pool/dining. May have missed it, but only work I spotted was them painting the exterior of the buildings.

dreamscometrue

It is strange that I've seen/read 4 reviews of the new rooms and, while all people state the 'main' bed is a queen, 2 said the Murphy is a queen and 2 said it was a double. Someof these people even stated that they measured to compare, but they reached different conclusions. :confused:

allgiggles

It is strange that I've seen/read 4 reviews of the new rooms and, while all people state the 'main' bed is a queen, 2 said the Murphy is a queen and 2 said it was a double. Someof these people even stated that they measured to compare, but they reached different conclusions. :confused:

The posts/messages I've seen where people said they measured the beds both said that they measured exactly the same (queen). I think we need someone to take pictures of the tape measure laying on the mattress. :D

brent2124

It's not that they themselves give inaccurate information necessarily, a lot of the times people ask questions or request information that the CM is not allowed to speak about. Do some accidentally give misinformation, absolutely, but far more of the time it's that there are things the CM can't discuss.

sgtbtlbailey

It's not that they themselves give inaccurate information necessarily, a lot of the times people ask questions or request information that the CM is not allowed to speak about. Do some accidentally give misinformation, absolutely, but far more of the time it's that there are things the CM can't discuss.
I totally get that, but in the case of a refurb, why would they be hiding that information? Its a positive thing if they're updating the rooms and I would absolutely understand if they said you can request a refurbished room, but we can't guarantee it. But I don't get why they would deny that its even going on. I worked at a major hotel chain call center several years ago and if a hotel was undergoing any type of renovation or construction work, we had to tell the customer when they called to make a reservation. Yes, it might cause them not to choose that particular hotel, but it sounds like they're working on each building separately in this case and its not major demo, so not likely to cause a disturbance to other guests.

allgiggles

I totally understand that there are times that a phone/chat CM might have information that is confidential and can't be discussed. However, in this case, the renovations are public knowledge. There are pictures everywhere. I don't see any reason they need to flat out deny that there are room renovations going on. If anything, you'd think Disney would *want* them to say it and use it as a tool to upsell. "I need to make you aware that there are room renovations going on at the resort at this time and there may be loud construction noise during the day. Would you like to book a room at Port Orleans Riverside instead? You'd have a larger room, table service restaurant, blah, blah, blah...and you wouldn't need to worry about being inconvenienced by the construction currently going on at Pop Century." Hypothetical situation here, but as a guest, if I specifically asked about construction and was told that it was only exterior work and then I got there and was in a room near the construction that interfered with my plans to nap all afternoon (or have my infant/toddler nap), I'd be livid and I'd be having a conversation with Guest Services...which would probably end up with GS moving my room location (possibly moving me to a different resort depending on how "angry" I was) and throwing in some compensation for my trouble. Seems like it would be less trouble to be honest from the beginning. Which is why I'm sticking to my theory that the chat CM mentioned in the previous post was clueless. :)

brent2124

The point is the CM didn't necessarily flat out lie. If the CM isn't searching on Internet forums during their free time they may not know about these renovations. Pictures on fan websites don't translate to common knowledge of all CM, if there hasn't been an announcement made on the Hub, the CM legitimately may have believed what they said to be accurate. It's also possible a post was made on the Hub when the CM was on vacation and they missed it. There are FAR more plausible possibilities than a CM lying, especially on a chat that can be screen captured by a guest and sent as part of a complaint against them.

I totally understand that there are times that a phone/chat CM might have information that is confidential and can't be discussed. However, in this case, the renovations are public knowledge. There are pictures everywhere. I don't see any reason they need to flat out deny that there are room renovations going on. If anything, you'd think Disney would *want* them to say it and use it as a tool to upsell. "I need to make you aware that there are room renovations going on at the resort at this time and there may be loud construction noise during the day. Would you like to book a room at Port Orleans Riverside instead? You'd have a larger room, table service restaurant, blah, blah, blah...and you wouldn't need to worry about being inconvenienced by the construction currently going on at Pop Century." Hypothetical situation here, but as a guest, if I specifically asked about construction and was told that it was only exterior work and then I got there and was in a room near the construction that interfered with my plans to nap all afternoon (or have my infant/toddler nap), I'd be livid and I'd be having a conversation with Guest Services...which would probably end up with GS moving my room location (possibly moving me to a different resort depending on how "angry" I was) and throwing in some compensation for my trouble. Seems like it would be less trouble to be honest from the beginning. Which is why I'm sticking to my theory that the chat CM mentioned in the previous post was clueless. :)

allgiggles

The point is the CM didn't necessarily flat out lie. If the CM isn't searching on Internet forums during their free time they may not know about these renovations. Pictures on fan websites don't translate to common knowledge of all CM, if there hasn't been an announcement made on the Hub, the CM legitimately may have believed what they said to be accurate. It's also possible a post was made on the Hub when the CM was on vacation and they missed it. There are FAR more plausible possibilities than a CM lying, especially on a chat that can be screen captured by a guest and sent as part of a complaint against them.

I never said this CM lied (though I made a general sweeping comment about CMs having inaccurate information). I just said he was clueless...meaning he didn't have the information. Not sure why Disney is so stingy with their information to CMs who are constantly talking with guests. It's obvious that *some* CMs have the information (hence the constant advice on message boards to keep calling back and talking to a different CM when a guests knows they're getting incorrect/wrong information from the CM they're talking to). I can only imagine/guess that some CMs are much better at keeping on top of announcements than others (just like at any other non-Disney call center). I'm not sure why this discussion is happening...it's just an opinion. Other than the part that many phone/chat CMs give out incorrect or inaccurate information....there's plenty of evidence that happens on a regular basis -- I never said it was intentional.

EPICOT

I have a preferred room booked for early September at Pop Century. From what I've read the refurbishments have only started/been completed on the 80s and 90s buildings, correct? This means there are currently no preferred rooms that have been refurbished yet? Just want to know if I should add a request on my reservation.

mhaftman7

In general, the booking agents have been spot on. When we were deciding between ASMo and POP, they recommended POP for that time frame because the ASMu Food Court would be under construction and guests would be advised to go to ASMo or ASSp (Had to edit as I proofread ;) or it would have been an oops). So we stayed in a non-preferred view room at POP and low and behold we could see a good majority of Illuminations from our room. How 'bout dem apples.

This was also the trip that was a test trip for MagicBands. I had read about them here and inquired when we called. They could not guarantee that MBs would be in use at the time, but again we got the email that said hey, would we like to be one of the first guest to try this new feature?

We just booked for next August (why no bounce back offers? I mean at least 10 trips in 15 years!) at POP and asked if there were specific rooms that would be done the refurb by then. She specifically stated that they are hoping all rooms would be done by that time.

I think most CMs give the "I'll note your request but cannot guarantee it" line knowing that it won't be a problem. Under promising and exceeding expectations make businesses successful and customers happy. If I told you we probably would need to keep your car for repairs until tomorrow, but finished before the end of the day, you'd be ecstatic to get your car back well before the estimated time of completion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom