News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

HMF

I have made my peace on what the future direction of the park entails. I'm sick of the feet dragging, I want to see the attractions under the microscope closed, re-imagined, and re-opened asap!
I won't be able to find peace if what they have planned is as bad s I fear.

seabreezept813

That last part I can agree on: I teach at a private school, and the amount of input from parents that occurs today is unprecedented, according to the older teachers I work with. Parents being involved is typically a good thing, but parents sending emails asking for better grades for their child? Not so great. It's not everybody, certainly, but among the set of people with enough disposable income to be guests at Disney resorts there does seem to be a slight trend that way. I can't 100% blame them given how high tuitions are at private schools and at public and private universities, but it often does more harm than good for the kid.

The trophy thing never much bothered me in isolation, though; kids should have a way to play that doesn't involve a message of "you are constantly in competition with everyone around you!". It's when it bleeds into a mentality of not letting your kids fail and learn from mistakes, or not letting your kids fight their own battles sometimes, or not letting your kid have a measure of freedom to explore boundaries (within reason) that things turn sour.
I most definitely feel this as a teacher. Not just asking for better grades, but demanding them. The scariest part is this non-reality where a parent doesn't quite see that their kid might have flaws. And it makes for kids who don't have spines and expect the parents to fix their problems.
To connect with Disney, I just find it sad that some of the original awe is being replaced with this more instant-gratification entertainment. Epcot had the potential to entertain and make you think, but the more I see in the classroom and day-to-day is that kids/adults see thinking as a chore, rather than a form of exploration. And it's a daunting task to try to change that mentality.

mimitchi33

Good morning, everyone. Now, this could be nothing, but I spotted this on Instagram this morning from a Cast Member's private account:

(The caption says "When you find out your eviction notice is coming... lol")

Not to fear monger, but could the results of that "Figment Survey" be taking effect?

It's finally closing? It'll be around as long as the old attraction if it does close...
It has arrived!
I will leave this here:

I loved that, it looked like a great ride! Why did I have to be born in the late 90s?

Marc Davis Fan

Two quick points (I have limited time at the moment) about the above "IPCOT" video:

1. The theme of human achievement and the future of humankind is more significant, meaningful, and profound than random IPs. That's part of why EPCOT Center was special, and that's why random IPs would be a thematic downgrade for Future World. (If the IPs are used to a unified and meaningful thematic end, though, it won't be as bad as it will be if they're unrelated to each other and randomly placed.)

2. Pavilion/attraction sponsorships were never universal throughout the parks. In fact, most Disney attractions do not have sponsors. So, not having sponsors for Future World pavilions doesn't mean the automatic alternative must be Disney IPs, just like it hasn't meant that for the many other Disney attractions without corporate sponsors.

P_Radden

Let the hate flow through you...

He does make good points, but to me he's missing the biggest point of all. It's not that I don't like Disney IPs in Epcot, it's that Epcot doesn't need them to be successful. Epcot Center's original themes could be executed even better now days with modern tech and innovations. They can bring Epcot Center back to reality without various Disney IPs layered all over it.

P_Radden

Two quick points (I have limited time at the moment) about the above "IPCOT" video:

1. The theme of human achievement and the future of humankind is more significant, meaningful, and profound than random IPs. That's part of why EPCOT Center was special, and that's why random IPs would be a thematic downgrade for Future World. (If the IPs are used to a unified and meaningful thematic end, though, it won't be as bad as it will be if they're unrelated to each other and randomly placed.)

2. Pavilion/attraction sponsorships were never universal throughout the parks. In fact, most Disney attractions do not have sponsors. So, not having sponsors for Future World pavilions doesn't mean the automatic alternative must be Disney IPs, just like it hasn't meant that for the many other Disney attractions without corporate sponsors.
Well put

bclane

He does make good points, but to me he's missing the biggest point of all. It's not that I don't like Disney IPs in Epcot, it's that Epcot doesn't need them to be successful. Epcot Center's original themes could be executed even better now days with modern tech and innovations. They can bring Epcot Center back to reality without various Disney IPs layered all over it.
I agree, however since we know they are going the IP route (I'm not a prophet but it does seem inevitable) how about a pavilion dedicated to conservation featuring WALL-E cleaning up after not just the fictional Buy n Large company but real world pollution/waste? Honestly though, I just want a ride where I can feel like I'm flying through space with WALL-E and EVE..and listen to that glorious soundtrack on constant loop.

Jones14

I agree, however since we know they are going the IP route (I'm not a prophet but it does seem inevitable) how about a pavilion dedicated to conservation featuring WALL-E cleaning up after not just the fictional Buy n Large company but real world pollution/waste? Honestly though, I just want a ride where I can feel like I'm flying through space with WALL-E and EVE..and listen to that glorious soundtrack on constant loop.
Just a thought: WALL-E would be an excellent replacement for the Circle of Life film in The Land.

RoysCabin

Yeah, the second part gets me a bit - Big Thunder Mountain has no attached IP, doesn't have a gift shop attached to it, and cost plenty of time and money to construct...should we close it or insert an IP because there's no private company fronting the money for it? Space Mountain lost its sponsors over the years, same question.

Of course we shouldn't do that. I get that many of the Future World pavilions might come with an even greater price tag, but consider how much larger Disney is today compared to the late 70s/early 80s and the point just comes off worse.

HMF

I have that covered.
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/the-adventures-of-wall-e.926813/

PorterRedkey

Let the hate flow through you...

I saw this also. I thought, in the end, his argument was that there were not enough IP's to go into Future World when EPCOT Center was designed. To me, this misses the point. Epcot was not designed to push animated movies. It was designed to entertain guest while also informing and inspiring those guests.

EPCOT Center was a permanent World Fair. This was the theme. Many younger poster may not have been to a World Fair, and I was only at one of the last popular ones in 1982.
It was a non-Disney Epcot, with TN State Carnival attached. The World's Fair had both technical pavilions and other pavilions showcasing different countries of the world. Just like EPCOT Center, except almost all pavilions were walkthroughs.

EC was designed to be different from the Magic Kingdom. Now, animated characters are being pushed into spaces that were never intended for characters. This is hardly the "they didn't have enough characters" defense he suggests. I will agree with his point that sponsors are dead, and Disney wants to promote their IP's to create more of an ROI, but at what cost?

The second point that stood out to me was his feeling that rides separated the parks. I don't think this is true, I believe it is Theme (AK -animals, DHS - movies, etc) that separate the parks. If every ride has an animated movie attached, how is that different from Fantasyland at MK?

I believe Disney is creative enough to build ground-breaking attractions, without an IP, that people will flock to, which also fit a preconceived theme. Whether that ride is a Rhine River Cruise or a new Energy Pavilion attraction (that is actually about energy). Disney has the power to make each park unique or make them all full of animated character rides. While I wish it was the former, all signs point to the latter.

trainplane3

Random thought, but will they use the Future World symbols on a large scale again? It'd be nice to see each pavilion represented by a logo (82 version or not) again. Especially since bold, flat lettering and logos are a big thing nowadays (see the Google Play Store, Android, parts of iOS, and especially Windows 10). I think it could look nice with a new look, especially the "Tron" version.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom