Rumor Siemens is going to end their sponsorship with the parks - Spaceship Earth and IllumiNations

PizzaPlanet

This is very interesting. I was recently talking with someone who works at Siemens, and they were telling me how their work with Disney is more than just the sponsorships at Epcot. Apparently they also implemented Siemens technology to many of their ride systems, and were heavily involved with the 2009 Space Mountain refurbishment.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
I swear, they are idiots if they retheme Spaceship Earth. There ARE AT LEAST A DOZEN THINGS IN EPCOT THAT NEED CHANGING.

To be honest I'm guessing it is going to have an update.

Disney is bigger than Siemens, but your point is still valid.
But in overall impact on society... I've never had an x-ray from a Disney x-ray machine.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Chapek certainly seems to be a sort of second coming of Paul Pressler. An utter lack of understanding of the theme park business as everything is designed to move more licensed product and enhance the endless properties that the company has in its library.
He's a salesman/marketeer. Look at his past jobs -- nothing but sales and marketing. So where do you go when you're suddenly thrust into a position that you have no background for? You go back to something familiar -- turn the parks into one GIANT Disney Store.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
This is very interesting. I was recently talking with someone who works at Siemens, and they were telling me how their work with Disney is more than just the sponsorships at Epcot. Apparently they also implemented Siemens technology to many of their ride systems, and were heavily involved with the 2009 Space Mountain refurbishment.
LOL. Can't wait to see what the next OS update does to the parks.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
He's a salesman/marketeer. Look at his past jobs -- nothing but sales and marketing. So where do you go when you're suddenly thrust into a position that you have no background for? You go back to something familiar -- turn the parks into one GIANT Disney Store.

The great ones find a trusted advisor on how to actually run the business to it's best advantage and take the opportunity to BECOME an expert in their new role, Trouble is Disney does not seem to hire great managers. so they behave exactly as described.

alphac2005

Absolutely. It worked out so great last time..... The only surprising thing so far is that the parks actually looked improved (a far cry from the old standard as we all know) from how they had been looking over the past many years, as that was one of Pressler's first hatchet jobs to the parks ethos.

BoarderPhreak

From the sound of the rumors, IPCOT is ripe for plenty of, err, IP. Ratatouille, Guardians of the Galaxy/TRON, Coco, Mulan, Inside Out potentially coming... Frozen is already there (as is Star Wars, Avatar and Toy Story in HS).

As much as likely most of us have held out hope that the former glory of EPCOT Center will return - I think the writing's on the wall. IP sells [merchandise]. Innoventions and (former) Wonders of Life is not long for this world.

I won't jump on the doom buggy bandwagon, but a lot of this is easily believable. At least the bones of Epcot will remain, as will the majority of World Showcase. I can live with that, because let's face it - any movement in Future World at this point would be a good thing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom