Magic Kingdom to test earlier closing on Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party event nights

CaptainAmerica

We had made FP+ for a client whose trip started before the first MNSSHP party but then extended into party time, so they had us make FP+ between 4pm and 7pm as we have always done. A few days later the client received an email stating that they didn't have enough tickets for the number of days of FP+ selected. When we called to inquire, we were told that you can no longer make FP+ with only a party ticket.

That part isn't good news.
Sounds right to me. The party for which you're buying a ticket starts at 7:00. The 4:00 entry is a "bonus" early access type situation. The party ticket doesn't entitle you to anything in the 4 to 7 window.

21stamps

Sounds right to me. The party for which you're buying a ticket starts at 7:00. The 4:00 entry is a "bonus" early access type situation. The party ticket doesn't entitle you to anything in the 4 to 7 window.

I understand it.. I just liked being able to use one fast pass before the party started lol. The lines were all long during the party.. we played Sourcerer's of the Magic Kingdom the majority of the time. If this will cut down wait times at 7, then it's a fine compromise.

CaptainAmerica

Understood, but it has in the past. Now it doesn't.
I know you understand, I just think there's value in framing things carefully with the way some people who don't understand tend to jump off cliffs. I think this particular decision will be perceived by some people as some kind of "cut," but I think it would be more accurately described as closing a loophole.

Grimley1968

I hear what you are saying, but I don't see it as a loophole. Pre-FP+ days, it was possible to get the paper FP during those bonus hours, right? So, why would using FP+ be considered a loophole?

Only with a ticket used to enter a park that day.

CaptainAmerica

I hear what you are saying, but I don't see it as a loophole. Pre-FP+ days, it was possible to get the paper FP during those bonus hours, right? So, why would using FP+ be considered a loophole?
I honestly don't know the answer to that question. But if the answer is "yes," I'd consider that a loophole too. The fact that there was a similar loophole in the past doesn't make the new loophole any less of a loophole.

I suspect it was a non-issue in practice if not in policy. By the time party guests started arriving at 4:00, most of the paper Fastpasses for good rides would have been all "sold out" at that point anyways.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Soooooooo, you can't ride after six but they'll still take your money at restaurants and shops. Go Figure!

So those who are enjoying what they already paid for up to the expected 7 PM cutoff won't be welcome to continue doing so on MVMCP nights, but those who are willing to spend extra money in that last hour in the shops are welcome to stay until 7. Lovely. :mad:

Personally, I hope this "test" fails.

Being able to shop after the rides close is something that happens at every Disney park every day of the year.

Can you imagine someone leaving the park at 6:05 PM and wanting to pick up a souvenir on the way out and being told they can't because it's past 6 PM? They'd be screaming at a CM that Disney won't take their money!!!

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Are the eateries still taking ressies up to 7 or are they shutting early ?
We tried to get SC for our Oct mnsshp night but the latest available was for 5:40.

21stamps

I know you understand, I just think there's value in framing things carefully with the way some people who don't understand tend to jump off cliffs. I think this particular decision will be perceived by some people as some kind of "cut," but I think it would be more accurately described as closing a loophole.

I think it's just initially surprising to hear because last year was different. Speaking for myself anyway. We'll see how the 6 pm thing works this time around. I'm doing the same date this year as last, curious to find out if this is better, worse, or neutral.

Like I said, non party day we left at 5. Party day we arrived at 6...and used a FP first. The FP was a big advantage...but less guests could be a better one. Just have to see how this year shakes out.

Grimley1968

Are the eateries still taking ressies up to 7 or are they shutting early ?
We tried to get SC for our Oct mnsshp night but the latest available was for 5:40.

MNSSHP isn't included in this test. But dining and shops will be open until 7 for either type of party for day guests. Dining places might be booked up because they're pretty popular just before MNSSHP starts, especially SC, and/or they just don't want to try to get somebody seated late enough that they'd be rushed to be out by 7.

CaptainAmerica

Like I said, non party day we left at 5. Party day we arrived at 6...and used a FP first. Just have to see how this year shakes out.
But you'll still have actual park tickets on your profile, right? My understanding is that this won't affect people like you. The only people it applies to are people who only have party tickets or try to make six days worth of FP+ reservations when they only have five park tickets plus one party ticket.

21stamps

But you'll still have actual park tickets on your profile, right? My understanding is that this won't affect people like you. The only people it applies to are people who only have party tickets or try to make six days worth of FP+ reservations when they only have five park tickets plus one party ticket.

I have an AP, so I could make FP. Kiddo doesn't. So no, we wouldn't have enough days for FP. It's an interesting change.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
MNSSHP isn't included in this test. But dining and shops will be open until 7 for either type of party for day guests. Dining places might be booked up because they're pretty popular just before MNSSHP starts, especially SC, and/or they just don't want to try to get somebody seated late enough that they'd be rushed to be out by 7.
Thought it might be that. Not too worried as we snagged a table for there later in the holiday :D

Grimley1968

Thought it might be that. Not too worried as we snagged a table for there later in the holiday :D

BTW, if you ever want a primo restaurant for MNSSHP purposes, try Liberty Tree Tavern. It can be hard to get at the perfect time, but it's awesome to eat there, and then step just outside the restaurant after MNSSHP begins and see the headless horseman, the parade, etc. LTT just seems very well themed for MNSSHP, IMO.

DisneyJoe

It will even be less crowded if they remove the previous 4-7pm "free" period for party-goers, which it appears they are going to eliminate.
Only sign so far is that they are removing the ability to make FP+ during that time, allowing guests to enter at 4pm on a party ticket is still a logistical and operational good move for them since it allows party goers to trickle in earlier rather than all enter at once at 7pm.

In 2004, my first MNSSHP, they allowed us to enter at 4pm on the party ticket, and they cleared the park at 6pm. We had dinner at LTT, and when we exited dinner around 6:15pm we were ushered by CM's to Tomorrowland, where they kept all partygoers until 7pm.

21stamps

I don't hate the change. But it is certainly going to change things.

This is going to make the of the non-party nights in December (due to the frequency of parties) a complete nightmare. It will be New Years Eve type crowd levels- practically unbearable at night.

So, let's take the week of December 10th- say you go to Disney world from Sunday-Saturday.
Party nights will be on Dec 10, 12, 14, 15
So the only days you get a full day are the 11th and 13th.

The flip side is, the party days will be even less crowded for touring (party days were already good touring days for us vets), as there is less "value" there- particularly with those who don't have hoppers. It will even be less crowded if they remove the previous 4-7pm "free" period for party-goers, which it appears they are going to eliminate.
But the 11th and 13th and nights like those are going to be absolute insanity.

Prepare yourselves...

I don't really think that the one hour is actually going to deter the majority of guests from attending MK on a party day.

21stamps

@andysol has the number of nights per week that the MVMCP occurs changed between last year and this year?

It sounds like the same schedule as last year, but I could be wrong.

Clearly, its more the over proportionate amount of party nights that will make those 2 nights a week hellacious. But the extra hour only compounds that further.

It certainly isn't going to help- check out the wait times at 7pm this December 11th and let me know how it looks. ;)

The bottom line is- are you a family that chose to go to Disney on a slower week in December- say, the first or second week? Were you wanting to watch Happily Ever After? Cool- pick one of these 2 nights and prepare for it to feel like crowd levels that will rival the 4th of July fireworks. It sucks for them- you and I go enough that we can effectively tour around it :(

So last year we did MK daytime on a Sunday, left before party..then Tuesday MVMCP, MK Wednesday for pm EMH, then MK day time in departure day (another party night).
Our week was crowded, but it's not that hard to work around parties.. my opinion anyway.

But I totally agree with you that MK would be more crowded on a non party night. EMH started at 11pm, we didn't even arrive to the park until 9:30...and it was packed when we got there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom