Possible Attraction in France pavilion (Epcot) Update - new Attraction Greenlit

Castle Cake Apologist

He was lead Imagineer on the project in Paris and is the current lead Imagineer in Epcot. Even @jt04 could connect those dots.

That felt needlessly snarky? I'm sorry that I don't know the names of every Imagineer who leads every project, especially relatively minor dark rides in Paris. I'm obviously aware of who he is, I just didn't know that he had been in charge of Rat.

Unless this is the internet and I just read your tone wrong, in which case, disregard lol.

RSoxNo1

That felt needlessly snarky? I'm sorry that I don't know the names of every Imagineer who leads every project, especially minor dark rides in Paris. I'm obviously aware of who he is, I just didn't know that he had been in charge of Rat.

Unless this is the internet and I just read your tone wrong, in which case, disregard lol.
That wasn't meant to be snarky to you, just to JT. I didn't mean to imply that you knew the connection just that those that did know the connection felt it was an obvious fit.

Castle Cake Apologist

The problem with adding set pieces to hide the screen edges on this attraction is that the screens contain the motion simulation for the ride...it would look silly to have fixed set pieces around the screen that is attempting to make you feel like you are moving forward...

That's a decently valid point, but I feel like some of the screens in Shanghai Pirates are meant to simulate motion and they managed to hide those edges pretty well. If it's something that can't be done effectively in the attraction that is being designed, then the design of the attraction should probably be reconsidered.

The borders around the screen could always be made to move in conjunction with the action where possible. I would think there has to be a way to make the screen integration better. Even reducing the reflective quality of the floor would have done wonders for me personally.

ToTBellHop

That's a decently valid point, but I feel like some of the screens in Shanghai Pirates are meant to simulate motion and they managed to hide those edges pretty well. If it's something that can't be done effectively in the attraction that is being designed, then the design of the attraction should probably be reconsidered.

The borders around the screen could always be made to move in conjunction with the action where possible. I would think there has to be a way to make the screen integration better. Even reducing the reflective quality of the floor would have done wonders for me personally.
If I had to guess, the issue with your last point is that the ride is clearly set at night. A lighter colored floor would lessen this issue.

Bare minimum, they could find a way to "frame" the screens to make the edges less distracting. Perhaps make it look like everything is viewed through windows?

Castle Cake Apologist

If I had to guess, the issue with your last point is that the ride is clearly set at night. A lighter colored floor would lessen this issue.

Bare minimum, they could find a way to "frame" the screens to make the edges less distracting. Perhaps make it look like everything is viewed through windows?

Yeah, that's true too. Maybe there just truly wasn't a way to make it work, in which case I question the decision to build an attraction of that nature.

Cesar R M

Pushed 'back' as in further away from the dock? That's what I did in the image below.

The question now is where the intervening towers are and how tall and how close to the IG station to create a decline of height that can clear trees down to a ground-based station. And unfortunately, Google Earth Pro can't do inclined polygons.

View attachment 212242
Doesnt matter, your example images are a very good representation.

Cesar R M

Most recent report is that it was not a failure of the ride but was caused by "human error" on the part of the girl who fell. This was a ski-lift style ride, not an enclosed gondola.
Gotcha!, It was repeated as "gondola" in a few sites.. I was scratching my head when I finally seen the photo and the video.

raven

That would just look like you are watching a movie then. The screens are an important part to make it look like you are actually there. Watch the Paris video again and take a look. The screen needs to go all the way to the floor to make it believable. I think that if they try a matte finish on the floor it would work better. But I also know just how difficult that would be to maintain.

Communicora

Premium Member
The integration of the screens was pretty poor to me. They just kinda... end at the floor. Plus- the floor itself seemed super weirdly reflective to me, so it was painfully obvious that it was just a giant screen. Moving props would be nice, too. Maybe a better motion base on the vehicle. It should be "reacting" to the action on the screen.

It's honestly an attraction with a lot of potential, and one that I'm not terribly upset over being in Epcot, but it could definitely use some tweaking.

EDIT: I should rephrase - I'm only not terribly upset over this coming to Epcot if Impressions is staying. I apologize, as I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseam, but is the film sticking around? If the educational elements are being removed from the pavilion completely, ala FEA, then I am less okay with this.

Yes, I felt the same way with the screens and the floor. It's a cute attraction and it will do well, but would be even better and more immersive with some minor tweaks.

Bocabear

That would just look like you are watching a movie then. The screens are an important part to make it look like you are actually there. Watch the Paris video again and take a look. The screen needs to go all the way to the floor to make it believable. I think that if they try a matte finish on the floor it would work better. But I also know just how difficult that would be to maintain.
you mean a gloss finish on the floor? to reflect the screen... a matte finish would give the screen a dead flat end... the gloss floor would reflect and make it feel a little more extended..

rd805

LORD am I ecstatic that Epcot is getting this ride. I've been begging for it, and it has been huge on my "wishlist" for sometime.

OFF TOPIC: Now please -- can we do something with the WoL pavilion? I'm 100% on board with destroying it, with something new planned / construction to follow.

I remember going to Disney every year with my family when I was younger... This was before internet was big... before everyone knew exactly how construction was going, etc. The coolest surprise was showing up to Florida and checking the park maps for what was NEW. It honestly felt like every year there was a new attraction every calendar year (maybe youthful bliss).

There is a lot to be excited about in the next few years, I just hope they can fast track somethings.

Flynnwriter

Great ride for France! Let's hope they lose the unnecessary 3D and keep their hands off of the French restaurant and impressions of France (I know it's going... but I can try)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
It’s water runoff information because it is a water management permit.

True, but in the past it was common to see building outlines on the plans. This one is particularly is strange since the entire area where the building will be built is labeled as parking and even includes the number of parking spaces.

lazyboy97o

True, but in the past it was common to see building outlines on the plans. This one is particularly is strange since the entire area where the building will be built is labeled as parking and even includes the number of parking spaces.
You need to have a building designed before it can be shown. As I’ve mentioned previously, even as a clone there is still a lot of work be done but since it is a clone you can more confidently utilize a fast-track process.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom