Flight of Passage, How Does it Rank at WDW in E-Tickets?

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
I know we all have our favorites, but how would you rank FOP among other consensus E-Tickets at WDW?

As I said in another thread I started on FOP, I think Flight of Passage should easily be the top E-ticket offered, but I think it's around 6th (give or take). The more I think about it, the more I feel it's too much like Soarin' with a better VR experience. I can't seem to shake the feeling that a physical experience is much better in the long term. Imagine how awesome FOP would be if they incorporated what they did into a full ride system with additional elements?

How many times have we ridden Splash Mountain, yet still can't wait to get back on?

My ranking:

1. Haunted Mansion
2. Tower of Terror
3. Expedition Everest (Even with broken Yeti), #1 with working Yeti
4. Splash Mountain
5. Kilimanjaro Safaris
6. Flight of Passage

To me, this is ultimately a slight letdown after a lot of hype and even enjoying the attraction immensely, particularly the first few times. There is really no reason it shouldn't be hands down the best ride in the parks, but I don't believe it is and am curious how many would put other E-Tickets ahead of it.

Thread I referenced:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/my-thoughts-on-flight-of-passage.928212/

Last edited:

freediverdude

Well, it's hard to compare really. The ride that is most similar to FoP technologically is really Mission Space green. That's hard to compare with regular coasters or dark rides, because it's almost all virtual. As an "experience" I would put it near the top I guess, but it really is hard to beat the real actual thrills of big thunder or splash, or the elaborate actual sets of haunted mansion. NRJ might have been the hidden jewel masterpiece if it had been longer and had a story. And there's nothing quite like rushing backward through Everest. Too bad about the Yeti there, or it would have been one of the top rides anywhere.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
Well, it's hard to compare really. The ride that is most similar to FoP technologically is really Mission Space green. That's hard to compare with regular coasters or dark rides, because it's almost all virtual. As an "experience" I would put it near the top I guess, but it really is hard to beat the real actual thrills of big thunder or splash, or the elaborate actual sets of haunted mansion. NRJ might have been the hidden jewel masterpiece if it had been longer and had a story. And there's nothing quite like rushing backward through Everest. Too bad about the Yeti there, or it would have been one of the top rides anywhere.
No doubt Everest was the best ride at Disney when Yeti worked and maybe one of the best in the world. It's still top 5 at Disney.

I think you hit the problem with FOP. It's almost all virtual. Not sure that works in the long term. Even Mission Space has gotten quite unpopular, even with the spinning (a true physical experience). Perhaps that one is just too intense.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
Really? It was less than half a second. I get that people are peeved that the yeti hasn't been fixed but I think you're overstating the impact it had on the overall ride.
Did you ever see it in working condition? I don't think I'm overstating at all. It was incredible...my favorite Disney ride of all time if it works and still top 5.

Of course, this is a matter of opinion, but the working Yeti topped off just an incredible ride. The mountain itself is just enormous, the queue is awesome, and the entire ride is spot on. It gets Nepal JUST right.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
I have ridden FOP numerous times and it is my favorite ride at any theme park. Love it. It is really a new level of immersive experience.

I have lived in Orlando for 20+ years and have been to parks all over the country. Been an ap for all of the major Florida parks over the years.
How do you compare it with Harry Potter?

freediverdude

Agreed! It is still an awesome ride. It annoys me that it has not been fixed, BUT I still love the ride.

I'm going by memory here, but if I remember right I think when the Yeti worked you stopped there for a moment while he reached out at you, that's what I remember. You didn't just whoosh by like what happens now.

correcaminos

Really? It was less than half a second. I get that people are peeved that the yeti hasn't been fixed but I think you're overstating the impact it had on the overall ride.
I so agree with this. The yeti not working doesn't impact this at all for me. I mean it was cool and all, but definitely not what I love about the ride. It's a quality roller coaster. One of my favorite all time and I live in the state that many consider the coaster capital of the world, so I compare it to some seriously amazing rides.

Where do I put FoP? Honestly hard to say because I don't always do well comparing apples to oranges, which comparing it to EE is doing so.

I think I still put EE above it though. Same level as Test Track for me. Definitely way above Soarin' and Star Tours. Same as RnR (which is below EE).

Comparing it to Harry Potter? Slightly above. I honestly didn't find that one to be *that* amazing. Don't get me wrong I thought it was a great ride, but it didn't completely wow me. Then again it had spiders and I hate spiders :p

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I'm going by memory here, but if I remember right I think when the Yeti worked you stopped there for a moment while he reached out at you, that's what I remember. You didn't just whoosh by like what happens now.

The section of track that goes past the yeti slops downwards before slopping back up into the final break run. They couldn't have stopped you completely there (in the same room as the yeti) as the train just wouldn't have the momentum to get up the incline into the final brake Furthermore, looking at other videos, looking at the track in the room with the yeti there is no brake hardware in that room that would have been able to accommodate this nor does there appear to be the mounting framework on the track in this section to support this. What could be possible is that the brakes BEFORE you enter the room with the yeti (as you approach the tunnel from outside) may have slowed you down much more which would have made the pass by the yeti much slower (though no actual pause in the room with the yeti). Looking at videos from opening weeks/year of EE would seem to also support this.

Not saying it NEVER did as you remember (there are certainly effects that Disney has used on some rides that have lasted exceptionally short times... like the dropping ice boulder on DL's Indiana Jones), just saying that it is highly unlikely.

Last edited:

mj2v

How do you compare it with Harry Potter?
It is a similar but in my opinion, enhanced experience. The "little" things like the breathing of the banshee does make a difference. The ride system and feeling of immersion are above what I have experienced on any other ride.

I really like the HP e-ticket rides even though I am not a HP fan.

Both go to show how having a dominant creator involved that can override some of the bean counters.

The great thing is that this looks really positive for Star Wars. Can't wait to see that.

Kevin_W

My ranking:

1. Haunted Mansion
2. Tower of Terror
3. Expedition Everest (Even with broken Yeti), #1 with working Yeti
4. Splash Mountain
5. Kilimanjaro Safaris
6. Flight of Passage

Of those 6, I'd go:
1. Kilimanjaro Safaris
2. Tower of Terror
3. Expedition Everest
4. Splash Mountain
5.Flight of Passage
6. Haunted Mansion

That's not a knock on it, I just like the physical rides better. I'd put it as a tie with Splash Mountain, but the preshows kinda annoy my, so I'll give Splash the tiebreaker.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
It is a similar but in my opinion, enhanced experience. The "little" things like the breathing of the banshee does make a difference. The ride system and feeling of immersion are above what I have experienced on any other ride.

I really like the HP e-ticket rides even though I am not a HP fan.

Both go to show how having a dominant creator involved that can override some of the bean counters.

The great thing is that this looks really positive for Star Wars. Can't wait to see that.
I agree, but I'm hoping Star Wars is NOT a simulator. I hope it's some kind of physical ride. Not sure if we have details. @marni1971 might know something.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom