Is there any policy about fireworks cancellation?

rufio

Original Poster
I was at Magic Kingdom last night with two other people who haven't seen the fireworks in years (and I've never seen the new show). We scoped out our spot and waited and the "Due to inclement weather, Happily Ever After has been delayed" announcement started about 10 minutes before the show was scheduled to begin at 9:00. It was lightning almost constantly and we decided to wait 10 minutes after scheduled showtime, but ended up waiting 20 just to give it a fair chance. After the next "delayed" announcement at 9:20 with lightning still striking we decided to head home. It started POURING rain on our way out (think monsoon). As our monorail was pulling into the TTC at about 9:45 we saw the fireworks starting. In a torrential downpour.

(TTC was an absolute madhouse - there were people screaming at the CMs working near the trams because everyone looked like they'd just gotten out of a pool and the trams were running slow.)

Please note I'm not mad that they delayed the fireworks! I was just really surprised that they started them so late with lightning and rain that was absolutely pouring. It left me wondering if they have any actual policy. Like, if they don't start fireworks within 45 minutes they just cancel them, or something like that. When will fireworks actually be cancelled?

rufio

Original Poster
They will very very very rarely cancel. Once deemed safe enough they will begin. Be it at 910 or midnight.

Thanks! I wonder how distant lightning has to be to consider it safe. Last night there was still lightning amidst the downpour, but I wonder if it was just far enough away to make the show safe. Obviously rain isn't a deciding factor! My hat is off to those who stood in that to watch the show!

Jeremy P

(TTC was an absolute madhouse - there were people screaming at the CMs working near the trams because everyone looked like they'd just gotten out of a pool and the trams were running slow.)

You lost me at people yelling at CMs. I will NEVER understand guests who yell at CMs especially about things that are beyond their control. People are so incredibly short tempered and inconsiderate. I'd take WDW in a torrential downpour over a sunny day at work any day of the week.

rufio

Original Poster
You lost me at people yelling at CMs. I will NEVER understand guests who yell at CMs especially about things that are beyond their control. People are so incredibly short tempered and inconsiderate. I'd take WDW in a torrential downpour over a sunny day at work any day of the week.

I totally agree. It was insane and I felt awful for the CMs who were getting yelled at. We were already drenched at that point so there wasn't much use in complaining. The main issue was that there had been about 5 heroes trams and none for villains. Parents with small children were especially angry.

Last edited:

Sonconato

I totally agree. It was insane and I felt awful for the CMs who were getting yelled at. We were already drenched at that point so there wasn't much use in complaining. The main issue was that there had been about 5 heroes trams and none for villains. Parents with small children were especially ****ed.
Absolutely. Being there last night myself, I saw that there were definitely more Heroes trams than Villains trams. Not only that, but there were quite a few idle trams in the parking lot that could have been easily used. If that weren't enough, the tram waiting area has no cover, so the guests had to wait an extra amount of time due to the lack of trams while getting completely soaked. It is true that AK and HS do not have covers either, but the TTC provides access to two parks, and the MK is notoriously more crowded than the other parks. They should have either provided more trams or at least a temporary cover for the guests.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer

Where they've staged the new tram waiting area without cover at MK is absolutely not beyond the CMs control. Yelling doesn't help though, they should be down at guest services demanding it be fixed.

rufio

Original Poster
Absolutely. Being there last night myself, I saw that there were definitely more Heroes trams than Villains trams. Not only that, but there were quite a few idle trams in the parking lot that could have been easily used. If that weren't enough, the tram waiting area has no cover, so the guests had to wait an extra amount of time due to the lack of trams while getting completely soaked. It is true that AK and HS do not have covers either, but the TTC provides access to two parks, and the MK is notoriously more crowded than the other parks. They should have either provided more trams or at least a temporary cover for the guests.

Definitely. We stood in the pouring rain for a solid 10 minutes watching heroes teams come and go and there were a lot of extremely upset people.

Jeremy P

Where they've staged the new tram waiting area without cover at MK is absolutely not beyond the CMs control. Yelling doesn't help though, they should be down at guest services demanding it be fixed.

While I agree that it is within Disney's control as a company (specifically upper management), I assure you any of the CM's out there are probably making $10/hr and have no control in how the company operates and that was my original point. I totally agree that needs to be fixed quickly and agree with your guest services comment but my irritation comes with yelling or even griping to a 20 year old kid who makes a small wage and is honestly probably doing their best to make things happen smoothly and quickly.

I say this to myself also because I've caught myself several times getting upset about things that I feel like were poorly run or an operational nightmare and my (and probably everyone's) first instinct is to take it out on the cast member but I quickly remind myself that they are told how to do their job and most do it to the best of their ability and can't be blamed for poor operating procedures.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
While I agree that it is within Disney's control as a company (specifically upper management), I assure you any of the CM's out there are probably making $10/hr and have no control in how the company operates and that was my original point. I totally agree that needs to be fixed quickly and agree with your guest services comment but my irritation comes with yelling or even griping to a 20 year old kid who makes a small wage and is honestly probably doing their best to make things happen smoothly and quickly.

I say this to myself also because I've caught myself several times getting upset about things that I feel like were poorly run or an operational nightmare and my (and probably everyone's) first instinct is to take it out on the cast member but I quickly remind myself that they are told how to do their job and most do it to the best of their ability and can't be blamed for poor operating procedures.

I can assure you that if those CMs send constant feedback up the chain that guests are upset, things will change and change quickly. Yelling at the cast is absolutely not the answer though, unless of course they've lost their minds and are just doing something stupid which happens to all humans from time to time. Time and place sort of thing.

ninjaprincesst

@marni1971 Is there anything about WDW that you don't know? The details of the firework canceling policy. Really? Hat's off to you! The vastness of your Disney knowledge is incredible! :bookworm: :)
No my stupidity is increadible, learned that little tidbit after leaving illuminations in the rain and seeing it start about the time I got to the front gate, I found out that once they load the fireworks they have to shoot them off, that they might not do all the elements of the show but they will do the fireworks, also learned the only show they cancel due to rain is fantasmic due to performer safety and that most weather delays are due to wind not rain, very chatty cast member, but I felt like a dork for leaving , I would not have had I known this.

PorterRedkey

No my stupidity is increadible, learned that little tidbit after leaving illuminations in the rain and seeing it start about the time I got to the front gate, I found out that once they load the fireworks they have to shoot them off, that they might not do all the elements of the show but they will do the fireworks, also learned the only show they cancel due to rain is fantasmic due to performer safety and that most weather delays are due to wind not rain, very chatty cast member, but I felt like a dork for leaving , I would not have had I known this.
While I'll leave you to judge your "stupidity" (don't be so hard on yourself ;)), please don't underestimate the knowledge of @marni1971. I already knew he was a Disney historian, but I love that he knows little details like this too.

Most CM's are great!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom