Parks and Transportation with double stroller

Tk0021

We went last June with our two girls (5 and 3). We rented a city mini double and it was awesome. It was so easy to steer and maneuver even though it was a double wide. We rented because we didn't feel like dealing with the stroller at the airport. We only took one bus to AK and it was easy told fold. We are going again this September and my parents are coming with us. We might take two umbrella strolls for the girls since we are staying AKL and will be on the buses more.

mdubm

Original Poster
We went last June with our two girls (5 and 3). We rented a city mini double and it was awesome. It was so easy to steer and maneuver even though it was a double wide. We rented because we didn't feel like dealing with the stroller at the airport. We only took one bus to AK and it was easy told fold. We are going again this September and my parents are coming with us. We might take two umbrella strolls for the girls since we are staying AKL and will be on the buses more.
Good to know. We are getting the city mini GT.

jaklgreen

Many years ago, we brought our double jogger to the world with us a few times. I like the joggers because they are so much easier to steer. My hubby would fold it up and stand on the bus with the stroller tucked in between the gap in the seats if it was available. We tried to travel at more off times so the bus was not so busy.

keirin

I've been many, many times with a double stroller (jogger side by side and the longer front to back double) with my twins and more recently since we added baby #3 to the family we've purchased and brought a QUAD stroller to Disney World. Is it a pain to get around with at times? Yes. Is it necessary? Yes. Even at 5 years old my twins have a hard time walking all day at the parks. We've done it once or twice at Hollywood Studios but I wouldn't consider it at any of the other parks. They need the break of sitting down to get around at least part of the day.

I always found it such a pain to fold our stroller, even when it was just a double stroller, that we would always just walk it into the parks from the parking lot rather than use the tram. We can fit on the monorail or the boat into the Magic Kingdom - we don't take the bus since that would require folding the stroller. In the parks, if we want to take the train or something along those lines we just park the stroller and come back for it after we are done. I've never tried taking a stroller on the boat between the resorts and the parks, so I can't answer that one.

Kristamouse

We also just walk to and from the parking lot as to not have to deal with the trams.
The Citi MininGT is a nice stroller but the T bar in the bottom basket restricts storage space. The only reason I went with the Peg Perego Book for Two for our 5th and 6the babies at Disney.
If you do take the buses having a carriers is nice to transition a sleeping kid. We like Ergo's for the littles and Kinderpack Mesh for the toddlers.
We have 6 kids and my best advice for mid day napping is to LEAVE before they fall alseep. By the time you get back to your room with a sleeping kid they will likely wake up:( if nap time is at 1:00 we leave at 12:00 to so they sleep in the room and we can too;)

DiSnEyF@n

We also plan on renting a stroller - City Mini Double from Kingdom Stroller for our upcoming trip. We will have our single for in the airport but will probably just fold it up and put it in the closet when we check in to our hotel. The double that I have is a sit and stand I have a (at the time of our travel) 9 month old and 3.5 year old and it won't work for if they are both tired at the same time - plus it's huge and my hubby already hates carting around the single on the busses lol. I'm hoping that after a couple mornings of my 3.5 year not sitting in the rental we'll probably just take the single one in the parks in the am and use the double at night... I hope that makes sense. Lol

DiSnEyF@n

Going in June and renting a double stroller from Kingdom Strollers. we are staying at YC so we at least get to walk/boat for two days. I'm trying to decide to bus or drive (we'll have our car), but I'm not sure what's the lesser of two evils: folding up stroller on bus or to get on tram. Also, are the boats pretty friendly for double strollers?
Any tips on navigating parks and transportation with a big double stroller?

The Friendship boats that take you to Epcot and HS will allow you to keep your stroller unfolded and make you park it in the rear of the boat inside only. Unless it's like super crowded, which has never happened to me, you should be fine on the boats! Personally, that's the perfect location for traveling with kids bc you can walk or boat to 2 parks! YC is beautiful - Enjoy!

buseegal

Thanks for all the great info! We're gonna do the City Mini GT I think. My 4 yo is pretty big and will need the extra room.
We may just bus the one day to MK. I hate relying on other transportation, but we have had to fold a smaller stroller on the tram and it was NOT fun. I can only imagine a double.

I will add that we were able to get to TTC early enough one or two mornings that we parked close enough not to need the tram, but I think we had early ADRs at CP and that was why.
not all boats are able to take strollers unfolded the smaller ones that can not take wheelchairs you will have to fold stroller. the boat from TTC to MK is fine no folding but if I remember correctly the one from Poly to MK you have to fold. if you take monorail from TTC there is only the ramp up to platform which can be hard to push loaded double stroller up, also true at MK leaving

Weather_Lady

My advice: if you must use a double stroller (or any stroller at all -- we went happily strollerless when our kids reached age 4), go slowly and watch out for other patrons. This means allowing extra time to cover large distances (e.g., crossing a park), arriving early at shows and parades, needing more time to board/disembark from transportation, and leaving extra time in your plan for parking/finding the stroller between attractions. Also, if you're renting, consider bringing a colorful item (e.g., a bandana) to affix to the handle of your stroller, so it's easy to find when you're searching a sea of strollers that might have many identical ones from the same company.

daisyduckie

I'm thinking we'll only have to drive to MK zone day, so we may still consider bus. We have breakfast at Chef Mickey's, so will walk from Contemporary that day. And then we're splitting our stay at staying at Poly the last night, so we'll take the boat then.

You can't leave your car there if you decide to drive to Chef Mickey's. You will have to move it to the TTC. You are not allowed to leave a car at a resort if you are going to the parks, unless you are an overnight guest of that resort.

md0u80a2

We visited in last few years with a 3 and 4 year old and then 5,6 and 1 year old last summer.

We had city mini double and were on site in boardwalk area so my thoughts are as follos:

Buses are a nightmare with double and given where you are, you can walk to epcot, boat to DHS which is ver frield allowing wheel on and off without collapse of stroller.

So for animal kingdom, I would drive.

BUT, magic kingdom - unless we had meals in local hotels and left the car and walked or monorailed, the couple of times we went direct to MK, I would use the bus as the convenience of avoiding TTC beats the disadvantage of stroller collapse

The parks are no problem whatsover

Hope this helps

DiSnEyF@n

We visited in last few years with a 3 and 4 year old and then 5,6 and 1 year old last summer.

We had city mini double and were on site in boardwalk area so my thoughts are as follos:

Buses are a nightmare with double and given where you are, you can walk to epcot, boat to DHS which is ver frield allowing wheel on and off without collapse of stroller.

So for animal kingdom, I would drive.

BUT, magic kingdom - unless we had meals in local hotels and left the car and walked or monorailed, the couple of times we went direct to MK, I would use the bus as the convenience of avoiding TTC beats the disadvantage of stroller collapse

The parks are no problem whatsover

Hope this helps

Agreed.

rob0519

You can't leave your car there if you decide to drive to Chef Mickey's. You will have to move it to the TTC. You are not allowed to leave a car at a resort if you are going to the parks, unless you are an overnight guest of that resort.

I was under the impression you could leave your car at the CR all day if you paid for valet parking. In the scope of a WDW vacation the parking fee is a drop in the bucket for the convenience.

daisyduckie

I was under the impression you could leave your car at the CR all day if you paid for valet parking. In the scope of a WDW vacation the parking fee is a drop in the bucket for the convenience.

Yes, you are right. If you valet you can leave your car all day.

mdubm

Original Poster
I didn't pay for valet and I was able to leave my car until we left about noon or 1 from the park.

md0u80a2

Valet is the correct way if following rules

I must confess if going for a 7pm dinner to popping over for an hour to MK from self park before home - not sure if that upsets residents, but no one has ever challenged it

Very different than turning up at 9am to park for a meal 8 hours later!

mdubm

Original Poster
Valet is the correct way if following rules

I must confess if going for a 7pm dinner to popping over for an hour to MK from self park before home - not sure if that upsets residents, but no one has ever challenged it

Very different than turning up at 9am to park for a meal 8 hours later!
Sorry, wasn't aware that wasn't following the rules. I had posted in several places and people had told me that it was okay to park there. We didn't spend the entire day. Our reservation was for breakfast.
Not sure if this is new, but we were directed to a guest parking lot. We actually stayed at Contemporary the following night and we're able to use hotel guest parking, which was separate.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom