35mm or 50mm?

Chip Workman

Original Poster
Within the next 18 months I will be traveling out west to visit a few national parks as well as a trip to WDW. I`m currently using a Cannon 70D with a nice assortment of lenses. I have decided to buy a 6D in order to capture some of the beautiful lanscapes out west and to improve my dark-ride(low-light abilities) while at WDW. I was able capture some pretty good shots (dark rides) with the 70D and the Sigma 18-35 1.8 on my last trip but I`m hoping the 6D will do better. My question is: On a FF camera should I use a 50mm or a 35mm lens? ...or should I sell my 70D and lenses, forget the 6D and just buy the 5DmkIII? :banghead:

drizgirl

There is no "should". I prefer wider, especially if you are doing landscape shots.

On a full frame, the 50mm will be the equivalent of what you got at 35mm on your crop sensor. But that doesn't mean you need that lens. Unless that happens to be the length you are looking for.

What are you hoping the full frame will do for you that your 70D couldn't?

Just as an FYI, there is a 6Dmii coming out this summer. You might wait and see how the specs look on that. Or if you decide you are good with the original 6D, I imagine you'll find some deals on that.

fractal

I love the 35mm focal length. If I had to choose between the 2 I would go with that, but why not bring both? In the vast expanse of the national parks you may want a bit more reach. Ideally I would consider the 35mm + a 85mm lens.

Chip Workman

Original Poster
I should have phrased that a little better. I was referring to the 50mm or 35mm for dark rides. I`m hoping the 24-105mm will cover most of my needs out west.

drizgirl

I should have phrased that a little better. I was referring to the 50mm or 35mm for dark rides. I`m hoping the 24-105mm will cover most of my needs out west.
I've shot the dark rides with the 50mm on full frame. It wasn't bad, but my own personal preference is still for wider. I would not be a fan of the 50mm on dark rides with a crop sensor.

Chip Workman

Original Poster
Yeah, I`m thinking about the 35mm. I`d rather be a little wide than too tight. I`ve just never used a full frame before.

Last edited:

thomas998

You can get decent shots with either on a dark ride the main thing you will need to consider is how wide which ever lens you take is and then taking the shots based on that. For example if you want a wide shot of the pirates whistling for the dog with a key you would need to shoot when it first comes into few with the 50mm where the 35 might allow you to wait a bit more... Honestly I don't see that much difference between a 50 and 35 on FF... If you were talking 24mm vs 50mm I see more difference and would say go with the 24mm.... But with 35 vs 50 just use whichever you already have. Not familiar with the 6D so I have no idea how good the high ISO is but that will be key to you getting decent photos, more so than the speed of your lens. If your 24-105mm is fast enough it might do okay for what you are trying for... Real question is what dark rides are you talking here, Splash Mountain could easily be done with a kit lens while a ride like Pirates and Haunted Mansion are going to require the expensive lens, expensive camera and some luck.

drizgirl

You can get decent shots with either on a dark ride the main thing you will need to consider is how wide which ever lens you take is and then taking the shots based on that. For example if you want a wide shot of the pirates whistling for the dog with a key you would need to shoot when it first comes into few with the 50mm where the 35 might allow you to wait a bit more... Honestly I don't see that much difference between a 50 and 35 on FF... If you were talking 24mm vs 50mm I see more difference and would say go with the 24mm.... But with 35 vs 50 just use whichever you already have. Not familiar with the 6D so I have no idea how good the high ISO is but that will be key to you getting decent photos, more so than the speed of your lens. If your 24-105mm is fast enough it might do okay for what you are trying for... Real question is what dark rides are you talking here, Splash Mountain could easily be done with a kit lens while a ride like Pirates and Haunted Mansion are going to require the expensive lens, expensive camera and some luck.
The 6D is quite good at high ISO. The 24-105 at f/4 can even be used on dark rides in a pinch as long as you shoot in RAW and have a decent noise reduction program.

thomas998

The 6D is quite good at high ISO. The 24-105 at f/4 can even be used on dark rides in a pinch as long as you shoot in RAW and have a decent noise reduction program.
Then the OP might have their best luck using the 24-105 and processing it with Capture One, its probably the best post processing software I've found and will usually give me a 1.5 stop boost with absolutely no loss in quality and if you spend the time on a shot can get a 2 stop boost with virtually no loss in quality.

phil-user

6D is certainly capable, but only you know whether or not the 5DIII is worth an upgrade. Prices on used ones now are an absolute steal, IMO. I'd also vote for both the 35 and 50. You can't go wrong with either.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom