Theme Park Game Changers

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Curious to know if @marni1971 believes the new attractions in Pandora and Pandora itself are game changers.

I'm going to probably get a lot of flack but no, I don't believe the attractions are. The built environment however is a site to behold and some of the best themed immersion built yet. The land itself hasn't changed the game but certainly kept the bar raised.

Of course I'll withhold a proper review - should anyone be interested - until I've visited in person.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm going to probably get a lot of flack but no, I don't believe the attractions are. The built environment however is a site to behold and some of the best themed immersion built yet. The land itself hasn't changed the game but certainly kept the bar raised.

Of course I'll withhold a proper review - should anyone be interested - until I've visited in person.

I like the distinction between "raising the bar" and "changing the game". I think there are a lot of rides that raised the bar, but as we are seeing in this discussion very few that really changed the game.

Ben_since_1971

What about the random drop sequences at ToT?? You never get the same experience twice. This has carried over to Star Tours, although the combinations there are limited.

JIMINYCR

Disney also venturing into personalizing things guests encounter on their way into and as they ride attractions also considered as game changers. Right now theyve dabbled in minor name placement and recognition, with more to come. More things that are built in the future where guests are personally immersed within the ride itself ( possibly as a character ) with multiple outcomes will be thrilling.

Chef Mickey

I'm going June 8th, so I'm excited to see it. I'll be there 10 days or so, so I'm hoping to ride them several times.

PorterRedkey

Single attraction game changers?

Forbidden Journey
Spider-Man
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye
Star Tours
Universe of Energy
Spaceship Earth
Big Thundermountain Railroad
Pirates of the Caribbean

Hey @marni1971! I see BTMR on the list. I love it, but what was the game changing aspect? There had been runaway mine trains before? Could you educate me on how BTMR changed the game?:geek:

dhslxop

Disney also venturing into personalizing things guests encounter on their way into and as they ride attractions also considered as game changers. Right now theyve dabbled in minor name placement and recognition, with more to come. More things that are built in the future where guests are personally immersed within the ride itself ( possibly as a character ) with multiple outcomes will be thrilling.

E.T. at Universal has also been using a version of personalization for many years. I'm actually surprised that other rides didn't adopt this technology.

dhslxop

What are all of your thoughts on something like Monsters Inc Laugh Floor or Turtle Talk, with the a live actor voicing an animated character on the screen. This definitely made a change from a repeatability perspective, though maybe it's not significant enough to be a true "game changer."

Goofyernmost

E.T. at Universal has also been using a version of personalization for many years. I'm actually surprised that other rides didn't adopt this technology.
That is correct for years and years now. But, to be honest, the end result, to me at least, was not really worth the effort to achieve. Ask a name, type it in a computer, generate a card to give to the Team Member where they manually load it into the system at that end and it says goodbye to you. It would definitely be more impressive now if it were to just magically happen without the manual input. Which is what one of the things that the new Disney system was supposed to generate, however, everyone put on their tinfoil hats and decided that big brother was tracking them and didn't want that. We won't tell them that big bro is watching anyway even without that little perk.

FigmentForver96

Tower of Terror always felt like the first real ride to accomplish a build up starting before one even enters the ride. One could argue Haunted Mansion but for years the outside never had a foreboding look like Tower did. The whole point of the mansion was to find out what was wrong by going inside. The story of the Tower of Terror starts when you enter the park. The story goes through the queue and even into the ride. Could be wrong but it seemed like a game changer for story telling for sure. No more of the, the ride begins when the vehicle moves.

RSoxNo1

Forbidden Journey has to be on the list. I could hear arguments for the following:
Kilimanjaro Safaris
Soarin' and Flight of Passage (Game changer is an odd definition, it doesn't necessarily mean it's the best attraction in the world)
Spider-Man
Indy Adventure
Pooh's Hunny Hunt

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Hey @marni1971! I see BTMR on the list. I love it, but what was the game changing aspect? There had been runaway mine trains before? Could you educate me on how BTMR changed the game?:geek:
Fully themed rollercoaster from the queue start to the exit. Matterhorn gets an honourable mention due to the pressurised tubular steel tracks and block controls but the original hole in the middle knocked it down a peg :)

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
What about the random drop sequences at ToT?? You never get the same experience twice. This has carried over to Star Tours, although the combinations there are limited.

Indiana Jones Adventure opened with it's multiple ride combinations way before ToT got that ability.

p3f

Back to the Future. I believe it was the first massive size screen ride where the entire room (essentially) was the screen.

What outdoor night time show pioneered the use of "projection on buildings"? I can't think of a definitive first one... was it RoE? That concept is being used in a lot of places now at both Disney and Universal.

montyz81

I'd say some of the tech inside the one animatronic is game changing? It will impact all that will follow it. That said, I'm not sure of the added tech inside.

BlindChow

The autonomous travelling theatre was a revelation.
But was it a game changer?

Disney used the technology for The Great Movie Ride (I assume), but it doesn't seem like it inspired any significant rethinking of designs for other attractions, at Disney or elsewhere. Seems like kind of a one-off. Unless you consider it the precursor to simulator rides like Star Tours?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom