A Spirited Valentine ...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I wish I could provide a simplistic, pat answer but the reality is that no one knows for certain. If someone did, then that person should be running the company!

As @seascape writes, the best way to do this is to "invest in things that will make more money" but it's unclear to Wall Street what these things might be. Since Wall Street does not like uncertainty, they prefer Disney leadership that spends billions every year on stock buybacks.

Corporate Disney is in a bit of a pickle. They already have made the acquisitions that make the most financial sense while Iger & Co. lack the creative genius of Walt Disney or even Michel Eisner to identify organic growth opportunities. Frankly, corporate Disney has gone overboard with film sequels and theme park tie-ins and is out of creative ideas.

A new CEO is needed yet Wall Street would rather play it safe with the unimaginative Bob Iger instead of finding a dynamic leader capable of producing dynamic growth. Steady, 5.2% annual revenue increases (Iger's average over his first 11 years) are preferred to the 15.3% increases seen during the previous 30 years. After all, Iger's austerity (i.e. cost cutting) measures have produced net income growth that nearly matches the previous 30 years (12.7% vs. 13.2%). Why bother with creative investment when you can employ financial gurus to budget-cut your way to success? :(

As a result, I see no end to the multi-billion dollar buybacks for the foreseeable future. :(

The problem is the cutting to create margin is not sustainable long term so the perverse incentives will inevitably damage the core business severely.

If slash and burn cost cutting is whats required during peak demand just imagine what a downturn in tourism will bring.

asianway

Thanks Len. Well, I stand corrected and I was obviously wrong. It appears there is little chance of any objective look at anything new at Disney coming out of the media preview events.
Duncan Wardle basically said as much in a YouTube video that's been linked here several times.

This isn't to say that Pandora or Gotg tower have no redeeming aspects, but the narrative is carefully crafted.

And I have doubts that the crowds yesterday were not massaged to appear larger than they were, artificial hold points etc.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Happy Summer 2017, y'all.

Just a quick drive-by, although I have some DLP thoughts to come after a recent visit and will try to make time to get them here and out.

What an exciting time it must be to be ... to be ... um ...ah ... yeah ... Joe Rohde. You thought I was going to say a theme park fan (not in an age where theme parks are becoming BRAND/IP parks)? Nope. JR is literally flying coast to coast so many times a week now that one wonders if Zenia is making him donate his UAL miles to TWDC.

It really looks like Disney got Pandora right. Well, right if you excuse the fact that Flight of Passage was supposed to be 'the other' big ride and the Nav'i River ride was going to be small scale, peaceful experience that everyone could do. Don't worry, they're making a similar mistake with the Star Wars Experience.

I do feel bad for Joe in only one small way and that is that everything that is right about Pandora appears to be what's wrong with Guardians Tower in Anaheim. And he has to come out and give a convoluted explanation as to why it fits because he can't tell the truth ''Bob Iger spent $4 billion of buying Marvel and he wants their stuff all over, wherever we can use it!'' So, he spins and then the huge blogging whores pick up on what he says and go back to the "DCA's Tower sucked, dude. If they touched Orlando's, different story. But what a terrible ride and now we have a great one because someone stuck one of the 120 Figment AAs removed from Orlando out of a warehouse and into a queue."

Then, we have UNI's online whores (some of the bigger names are also Disney whores as well) who are trying to spin Volcano Bay's disaster of an opening (something UNI has had down pat in FL since 1990!) into something that it isn't. The last time I heard so much spinning, Spicey was at the podium.

But let's not spoil Disney's moment in the sun (did anyone get Tom Staggs' reaction at the Grand Opening, you know being that Pandora was his baby and all? ... God, sometimes, I can't even take my sarcasm!) For the first time in the entire almost dozen-year tenure, Bob Iger has finally added significant new product to his flagship in the swamps. And now a long hot summer descends on the swamps. Can't wait to see how this plays out attendance wise and operationally at DAK. Me? I'll visit when the weather cools down and I can scout out the area of Dinoland that is very likely going away.

Yes, I admit it. I saw Pirates 5 and I liked it. Didn't fall asleep on the broad shoulders of the EPCOT Explorer like I did for Pirates 4 (think my snoring annoyed some fanbois on that one).

Anyone here notice that Disney-owned ABC is bringing American Idol back ... you know, the same Idol they built a pricey Studios attraction behind, only to dump it?

And SDL's Toy Story Land went vertical in my absence here. You know, Phase 1B of the park. It will have the three attractions that I told you about back in 2013. And the QSR and restrooms that are in. There will also be retail. BTW, have we talked about how the Chinese really don't care about Star Wars? Oh, yeah, my bad.

Someone told me that Soup and Salad Sandra is going away. She was weak even in a position where that is part of the job description. Maybe one of the bloggers who thinks they know what journalism is should apply for the job. It will make reading the Tweeter even more entertaining.

Back on Pandora, I've heard fanbois whine that the food, which looks amazing, locations use generic WDW cups. Well, of course they do. Just like by the winter 85% of that Pandora specialty merchandise will likely be at outlets stores and you'll be able to buy Jack Skellington tees, BB-8 toys and Ariel plush instead. That is what Disney does.

Nice to see Disney add the Pixar concerts and the pre-pyro projection show at The Construction Wall MAGIC Park. I still predict a very ugly rest of the year at Guest Relations.

Anyway, did visit DLP, did enjoy the place (nope, not replaced by a Super Walmart and condos, after all ... who knew?), but I seem to have a lot more issues with the place than the blogging brigade that has decided it will try and 'cover' that resort with 1-2 trips a year. Way too much sparkle and 'Look here, don't look there' going on. ... But an old European favourite is returning in the future and the trajectory of the resort is solid. Will post more on Paris, soon.

Now, time to book FP's for Pandora!

Kman101

Duncan Wardle basically said as much in a YouTube video that's been linked here several times.

This isn't to say that Pandora or Gotg tower have no redeeming aspects, but the narrative is carefully crafted.

And I have doubts that the crowds yesterday were not massaged to appear larger than they were, artificial hold points etc.

I doubt they massaged the crowds to appear larger. Let's not. We don't have proof of that. Are you another one who's not a fan of Pandora and wants to downplay it? It was opening day, it's no gauge of the overall success of the land but crowds weren't manipulated. So many conspiracy theories about WDW and how they do things. I don't love a lot of their management and how they run things but you really think they sat there and said let's manipulate the crowds to make it appear more popular than it is? LOL, sorry but I really disagree with that.

Last edited:

Kman101

Just a quick drive-by, although I have some DLP thoughts to come after a recent visit and will try to make time to get them here and out.

What an exciting time it must be to be ... to be ... um ...ah ... yeah ... Joe Rohde. You thought I was going to say a theme park fan (not in an age where theme parks are becoming BRAND/IP parks)? Nope. JR is literally flying coast to coast so many times a week now that one wonders if Zenia is making him donate his UAL miles to TWDC.

It really looks like Disney got Pandora right. Well, right if you excuse the fact that Flight of Passage was supposed to be 'the other' big ride and the Nav'i River ride was going to be small scale, peaceful experience that everyone could do. Don't worry, they're making a similar mistake with the Star Wars Experience.

I do feel bad for Joe in only one small way and that is that everything that is right about Pandora appears to be what's wrong with Guardians Tower in Anaheim. And he has to come out and give a convoluted explanation as to why it fits because he can't tell the truth ''Bob Iger spent $4 billion of buying Marvel and he wants their stuff all over, wherever we can use it!'' So, he spins and then the huge blogging whores pick up on what he says and go back to the "DCA's Tower sucked, dude. If they touched Orlando's, different story. But what a terrible ride and now we have a great one because someone stuck one of the 120 Figment AAs removed from Orlando out of a warehouse and into a queue."

Then, we have UNI's online whores (some of the bigger names are also Disney whores as well) who are trying to spin Volcano Bay's disaster of an opening (something UNI has had down pat in FL since 1990!) into something that it isn't. The last time I heard so much spinning, Spicey was at the podium.

But let's not spoil Disney's moment in the sun (did anyone get Tom Staggs' reaction at the Grand Opening, you know being that Pandora was his baby and all? ... God, sometimes, I can't even take my sarcasm!) For the first time in the entire almost dozen-year tenure, Bob Iger has finally added significant new product to his flagship in the swamps. And now a long hot summer descends on the swamps. Can't wait to see how this plays out attendance wise and operationally at DAK. Me? I'll visit when the weather cools down and I can scout out the area of Dinoland that is very likely going away.

Yes, I admit it. I saw Pirates 5 and I liked it. Didn't fall asleep on the broad shoulders of the EPCOT Explorer like I did for Pirates 4 (think my snoring annoyed some fanbois on that one).

Anyone here notice that Disney-owned ABC is bringing American Idol back ... you know, the same Idol they built a pricey Studios attraction behind, only to dump it?

And SDL's Toy Story Land went vertical in my absence here. You know, Phase 1B of the park. It will have the three attractions that I told you about back in 2013. And the QSR and restrooms that are in. There will also be retail. BTW, have we talked about how the Chinese really don't care about Star Wars? Oh, yeah, my bad.

Someone told me that Soup and Salad Sandra is going away. She was weak even in a position where that is part of the job description. Maybe one of the bloggers who thinks they know what journalism is should apply for the job. It will make reading the Tweeter even more entertaining.

Back on Pandora, I've heard fanbois whine that the food, which looks amazing, locations use generic WDW cups. Well, of course they do. Just like by the winter 85% of that Pandora specialty merchandise will likely be at outlets stores and you'll be able to buy Jack Skellington tees, BB-8 toys and Ariel plush instead. That is what Disney does.

Nice to see Disney add the Pixar concerts and the pre-pyro projection show at The Construction Wall MAGIC Park. I still predict a very ugly rest of the year at Guest Relations.

Anyway, did visit DLP, did enjoy the place (nope, not replaced by a Super Walmart and condos, after all ... who knew?), but I seem to have a lot more issues with the place than the blogging brigade that has decided it will try and 'cover' that resort with 1-2 trips a year. Way too much sparkle and 'Look here, don't look there' going on. ... But an old European favourite is returning in the future and the trajectory of the resort is solid. Will post more on Paris, soon.

Happy to have you pop in!

It's pretty amusing to see the spin on Volcano Bay. A few nice photos plastered on Twitter. Universal's twitter account tweeting about it non-stop. It looks like a very pretty park .... but they clearly rushed their opening.

They did get Pandora right, which is nice for a change. They needed a third ride though. The boat ride is beautiful but feels like it's missing something. But I really enjoyed the land. It's well done.

I'm going to assume Dinorama is going away. Can't wait for that. A blight on a very beautiful park in AK.

Still don't understand how they can replace GMR with Mickey when the park needs ADDED attractions. Do they truly believe SWL and TSL will be enough for that park? And what about their 30 year old stage shows? They can keep adding nice projection shows, and the new one is very nice, but they're trying to mask the problems their park has and will still have in a few years.

We also have a lot of "maybe this is coming" to both MK and Epcot. If they want anything open for 2021 they better get moving because they move at a glacial pace.

Kman101

they are probably looking at their very sterile and stripped down Tomorrowland thinking...they have to do something...

I like a few aspects of their Tomorrowland. Obviously I haven't seen it in person but it seems lacking in a lot of areas. I'm also not a fan of the Tron building at all. It looks better at night but meh ...

UpAllNight

Saw plenty of people with those expensive Banshee toys. I hope it continues beyond the opening buzz...if Pandora revenue justifies its massive cost we may, just may, see further resort wide development.

I'm kind of used to Dinorama now. I'd rather real expansion than replacement, although replacement can often be an expansion. I wish they'd do something with Kali. I bypass it and it'll probably be the third best in Orlando by the time Seaworld opens theirs next year.

It's easier for Disney to address issues with Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagooon (add some better slides) than it is for Uni to sort Volcano Bay (cheap theme, large sections under themed and lazy). Compare the lazy rivers of BB and TL to VB and it really highlights how Disney of 30 years ago was getting it more right than the over praised Uni of today.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
So many conspiracy theories about WDW and how they do things. I don't love a lot of their management and how they run things but you really think they sat there and said let's manipulate the crowds to make it appear more popular than it is?
It is not a conspiracy if its true. It does not take much of an effort to hold up a line to allow it to get longer. Do I believe they would do this in an effort to have photos of HUGE opening day crowds a la HP opening? Absolutely. Would I do the same thing if I were an exec? Absolutely. Am I saying this because I want to downplay Pandora? Absolutely not.

Kman101

It is not a conspiracy if its true. It does not take much of an effort to hold up a line to allow it to get longer. Do I believe they would do this in an effort to have photos of HUGE opening day crowds a la HP opening? Absolutely. Would I do the same thing if I were an exec? Absolutely. Am I saying this because I want to downplay Pandora? Absolutely not.

Fair points but I don't agree. Do you know it's true for a fact?

That's all I was saying. I didn't say they couldn't do it. I just don't think they did. You guys give them a bit too much credit for actually thinking.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Fair points but I don't agree. Do you know it's true for a fact?

That's all I was saying. I didn't say they couldn't do it. I just don't think they did. You guys give them a bit too much credit for actually thinking.
I do not think they would miss the opportunity. It is extremely simple to hold up a line and get a few photos for the sake of posterity. People still post photos of the line at HP's opening day. Same for the most recent presidential inauguration. The amount of press and social media efforts Disney has put into the opening of Pandora, it would almost seem asinine not to.

Disney Analyst

By similar mistake in Star Wars Land do you mean only two attractions, or one great big one and one kinda lame one?

JediMasterMatt

Nah, the similarity is the math 3-1=2; but, in SW's case it's not the "other big ride" that got the axe - it was the small scale peaceful experience that didn't survive (thanks TDO). They are getting both big attractions and since the height requirements are going to be so low on both in SW, it's not going to have the same impact that Pandora's cut did.

While I'm still a bit over a week out from hitting up Pandora for the first time, Nav'i River Enchanted Voyage's biggest problem is playing second fiddle to the headliner instead of being just another attraction. It's no Millennium Falcon... but, then again - Flight of Passage is no Alcatraz. The scope on SW's attractions is so much higher than the two in Smurf Village.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I do not think they would miss the opportunity. It is extremely simple to hold up a line and get a few photos for the sake of posterity. People still post photos of the line at HP's opening day.

The crowds for Pandora were no where near that for Potter, so it wouldn't even be possible for Disney to try to make that comparison even by tricky crowd manipulation.

Also, Disney would be crazy if they thought having people wait 8 hours to get into a land was worth the publicity at the same time ticking off all those who were waiting. I've seen no Disney PR comparing their new land to Pottersville... that's the work of the online community.

Several people videoed the line from gate to ride. The only gaps in the line were to let people cut through. The other 'holding pens' were to segregate people with FP from those who don't and people from the Disney resorts utilizing EMH from those who weren't. It was smart crowd control, not PR optics.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom