• Yes

Votes: 645 81.5%
  • No

Votes: 81 10.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 65 8.2%

• Total voters

Kman101

And that was 2003 .... Wishes is gone. We have a great new show now. With 18 (17?) minutes of fireworks. If people just want fireworks, watch from the back of the castle, watch from the hotel, watch from the beach. Put in headphones and play the music from Wishes. It'll be over before the new fireworks are done.

Disone

Did you experience the atmosphere in the hub during late 2003?
Actually yes. I did. I was there for Wished debut as well. IMO wished was to FitS as HEA now is to Wishes.

The difference for me is that I found Believe to be better so while I knew Wishes was tons better then FiTS, I was disappoint it was not in par with Believe: There's Magic in the Stars.

Crowd reaction was on par but crowds seem to sing along more with HEA. Then again with Wishes you can only do that at the beginning and the end. I like you can do that through out with HEA. I also like the song was written by Disney for Disney (originally HKDL) where as wishes theme is pretty much public domain poem put to song.

Last edited:

rushtest4echo

Ive been present at rehearsals, previews and premieres of:

Believe
Believe in Holiday Magic
Remember
Magical
Disneyland Forever
Hallowishes
Holiday Wishes
Once Upon a Time (Tokyo and WDW)
TDS Fantasmic

In addition to the opening night of a few other nighttime shows-

And people seem to be in more of a frenzy for this than any of those.

UpAllNight

The new show is so good, but MK during fireworks brings out the worst in people. Pure ignorance, we'd like to see it again before we go but it's such a stressful overall experience. You can find a good spot if you're early enough, it won't stop some ignorant (insert word here) standing directly in front of you 2 mins before it starts with their kid on their shoulders.

All 5 of us preffered it to Wishes, for what it's worth.

peter11435

Finally made it over to see the show for the first time tonight!! But, when did sitting for fireworks become en vogue here? It's madness in the hub. Tons of wasted capacity because almost everyone is sitting down :confused:Disney needs to nip this dumb practice now because, man, what a safety nightmare
When I saw it a few nights ago they made everyone stand about 30 minutes before show time.

DonaldDoleWhip

Have only experienced the show through YouTube (at least 15 times by now), but can say with certainty that I absolutely love it. The projections play a starring role, but the pyro package, soundtrack, and lasers are all compelling in their own right. Additionally, there's so much content packed into 18 minutes, but the show doesn't drag (unlike some of the other 'long' spectaculars). Highlights for me:

Introduction
  • I love how it builds, keeping our attention initially on the narration (as it should be), the contemporary, upbeat song, and the projections.
  • Gradually, the song becomes 'bigger' and more orchestral, with a powerful crescendo culminating in a big reveal of pyro + lasers.
    • Wishes also had 'dead' moments of weak (or zero) pyro, and Reflections of Earth has several minutes of it. HEA's intro is more of a fake-out, because there's plenty of pyro throughout the show.
Determination/Longing
  • The subtle use of "When You Wish Upon a Star" as a transition between bigger moments. The song gets a clear nod and segues perfectly into "Part of Your World" and "Out There."
  • "Out There." Very focused and powerful, with the projections, pyro, and soundtrack all highlighting Quasimodo's ambition.
  • Merida shooting a firework off the castle (simple but effective interaction between projection and pyro).
  • "How Far I'll Go." Another great, cohesive segment - that manta ray moment is especially breathtaking.
Friendship
  • "Friend Like Me" bookending the whole segment. Of course Genie had a role in Wishes, but here his signature song is even more prominent.
  • "Trashin' the Camp." So unexpected during my first watch, but a fun moment every time.
  • The rocket effect. Yes, it's been used in previous projection shows, but it's so much cooler with a pyro and laser backdrop.
  • Admittedly, this is my least favorite part of the show. The songs and projections are a bit sillier ("That's What Friends Are For") and we're cycling through characters quickly so people can spot their favorite (Wreck-It Ralph, Big Hero 6, Monsters Inc, etc).
Love
  • "Love is an Open Door." I really enjoy this song in its original arrangement (upbeat, cheeky, ironic), but the acoustic take is refreshing and unexpected.
  • The spotlight on family ("You'll Be in My Heart"). Romance is great, but it's really nice that love extends beyond that in this show.
  • "A Whole New World" + "I See the Light". Gorgeous combination of melodies, and a fantastic use of the lantern scene.
Adversity
  • The firecracker coming off the castle during the Mulan intro. Like the Merida moment but more exciting.
  • Ursula. You see those waves engulf the castle and you know what's next, but it's still a fantastic visual.
  • This segment basically belongs to Hans Zimmer (Lion King + Pirates score with fantastic use of pyro). That's not a bad thing.
Heroism
  • "Go the Distance" reprise. What a powerful moment with that choir, the gilded castle, and more and more characters appearing in stained glass form. Great pyro and lasers.
Finale
  • The way it bookends the show perfectly. Our narrator is back, and so is that contempo-pop song, but then...
  • Tinker Bell's reveal. It's a clear climactic moment, and all of a sudden the main song feels very, very different. I love this full version of the song, featuring the choir.
  • For the last 30 seconds, our attention is back on the castle, lasers, music, and (of course) fireworks. The message is clear: "reach out and find your happily ever after." Amazing pyro.
Yes, that's basically the whole show. As I said, I loved it. Love the use of songs and the fact that so many Renaissance/modern classics have a starring role. The new song is a winner in my book as well, especially when it layers on the greater orchestra and choir. The projections are fantastic but this show could be enjoyed without them (such as from the TTC/resorts), because the pyro is top notch - certainly more engaging than Wishes. This show is an excellent development for MK, and I'm wishing (yep) I'll have the opportunity to experience it in person.

Last edited:

Disone

We headed over to MK tonight to catch it. It was wall to wall and we bailed.
Tip: follow the cast members directions. About 20 minutes before the show they will start asking people who are sitting in the hub to stand. This will create a large amount of room. They will then start asking people who are standing on Main Street to move forward. Most will attempt to ignore these directions but If you actually follow their directions they will lead you to a spot that is in the hub with a clear view of the castle. And all this with 10 to 15 minutes before Showtime.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom