First solo trip

MagicMegan

I'm thinking about doing a solo trip the last week of May. I know it's soon but it's kind of a 'get away to keep my sanity' trip lol. It would be for 4 nights and I would most likely stay at POP.

What are your pros and cons to solo trips so I can make the best decisions? :)

mightylibrarian

I'm a passholder and go by myself about 3 times a year. If I'm staying on property I frequently get the dining plan, do meals I normally wouldn't splurge on and a dinner show. I love the freedom and like traveling by myself. I also love Disney World and enjoy wandering around. I can nap when I want, ride what I want, and eat what I want. Selfish, yes but I have fun.

Upvote 0

DoleWhipperSnapper

I have never done a solo trip, but I think it is a wonderful idea and feel a lot of people actually do it and a lot for the reason you explained you are doing it for. As you explained in your post you are doing this for your sanity and I think that is great. That leads me to believe a lot of rest and relaxation should be in order as well as maybe some pampering. You may even want to schedule a massage during your stay to go along with your Park visits. Also set time for pool time at the resort with some drinks if that is your thing. I don't know about scheduling every evening for Dining Reservations because you are a party of 1 and it shouldn't be too difficult to get into a restaurant with one person. As well Lounges and sitting at the bar may be a good idea as well. The main thing is enjoy yourself and relax.

Upvote 0

NeedMoreMickey

On Wednesday I booked my first solo trip and I’m very excited. My husband thinks I’m crazy. I usually go with my sister and lately her daughter & friend every March on one of those have to be doing something every minute of the day trips. The last two years my husband and I have taken a trip in October and since he has medical issues these trips are just the opposite, sometimes too laid-back for me. It’s not unusual for me to walk over to Epcot in the afternoon by myself or wonder down to HS for the night time show alone. A couple of years ago I was going to take a solo trip and my husband talked me into taking my sister. She tried, said whatever you want to do is fine but it wasn’t she was bored so I caved. We had a nice time but it wasn’t the time I wanted. So I want my solo trip to be somewhere in the middle, a nice leisurely but still see and do thing trip.

Upvote 0

Jamie77

All my trips are solo trips and I almost wouldn't want to go with others now. I enjoy the freedom to come and go as you please. I am late riser and I love that I can schedule my FastPasses for late morning or afternoon and still get to sleep in. Also, I have done the dining plan a couple of times but it usually ends up being cheaper to pay out of pocket. The DP will allow you to splurge if you get the one with a TS each day, but that also ties you down to being in a specific place and time. Hope your trip works out!

Everything you said except I'm an early riser.

Upvote 0

Jamie77

My solo trips were nice. Sometimes local friends would meet up and such too. If you went by yourself soon enough you could see Pandora at your own pace. I personally would not choose Pop for a laid back trip though. It's noisy for me. I'd likely pick a place with a nice quiet pool or two to enjoy.

I never did the dining plan and definitely not alone. I just cannot eat that much.

I did Pop solo for the first time in 2004 and stayed for 8 nights. I was excited about being able to do everything I wanted to do since my previous trips were with others and I couldn't do much. The excitement masked the noise all around me at this resort since I was riding high on so much adrenaline. I mean, I could do anything I wanted, when I wanted! I didn't have bickering or sarcastic family members and I could get up at the crack of dawn to get ready for the next Disney day. I could reserve dining at restaurants that no one else wanted to try (or pay for). Since then, I prefer deluxe resorts because the thing that irks me the most are the long lines at the values at the bus stops in the evenings. I'm doing 8 days solo in July and staying at the WDW Dolphin.

I did the quick service dining plan only once. I prefer to stockpile Disney gift cards and use those on my trips.

Upvote 0

correcaminos

I did Pop solo for the first time in 2004 and stayed for 8 nights. I was excited about being able to do everything I wanted to do since my previous trips were with others and I couldn't do much. The excitement masked the noise all around me at this resort since I was riding high on so much adrenaline. I mean, I could do anything I wanted, when I wanted! I didn't have bickering or sarcastic family members and I could get up at the crack of dawn to get ready for the next Disney day. I could reserve dining at restaurants that no one else wanted to try (or pay for). Since then, I prefer deluxe resorts because the thing that irks me the most are the long lines at the values at the bus stops in the evenings. I'm doing 8 days solo in July and staying at the WDW Dolphin.

I did the quick service dining plan only once. I prefer to stockpile Disney gift cards and use those on my trips.
I did a few trips by myself at the Swan - that's a perfect location IMO for a solo trip!

Upvote 0

Jamie77

I did a few trips by myself at the Swan - that's a perfect location IMO for a solo trip!

That's great to hear! This is my first time staying there. It will eliminate the need to ride buses for at least two parks. I've made it a tradition to walk to/from Epcot or the Studios whenever I get the chance. And I absolutely LOVE the boats.

Upvote 0

correcaminos

That's great to hear! This is my first time staying there. It will eliminate the need to ride buses for at least two parks. I've made it a tradition to walk to/from Epcot or the Studios whenever I get the chance. And I absolutely LOVE the boats.
I love it there for that reason. Though DHS is kind of low on my list, now but the walk to each park is nice or the boats. I'd often take the boat to DHS but walk to Epcot. Not sure why but that's how I did it most often. While I stayed the Swan more (not sure why) I liked Tubbi's and The Fountain oh and Fresh too. So many good options in one place. The beds are to die for as well!

Upvote 0

Jamie77

I love it there for that reason. Though DHS is kind of low on my list, now but the walk to each park is nice or the boats. I'd often take the boat to DHS but walk to Epcot. Not sure why but that's how I did it most often. While I stayed the Swan more (not sure why) I liked Tubbi's and The Fountain oh and Fresh too. So many good options in one place. The beds are to die for as well!

I can't wait to see what those beds are like. I've been hearing so much about them over the years.

Upvote 0

Jamie77

I did a solo trip in 2013 over Thanksgiving and LOVED it! I met a few different people here and went out to Thanksgiving breakfast with one woman and her family and had lunch another day with another woman. I'm not usually one to branch out and meet new people but I'm really glad I did it! Cast Members definitely go above and beyond to make your trip special if they know you're flying solo, by the way!

On one of my solo trips, the Jungle Cruise skipper let me "drive" the boat. They may do that for other people but I've never seen it done before. But to be fair, I hardly ride this one much so I can't say how often it's done. I have the best intentions to do this ride when I'm in the park but end up getting side-tracked.

Upvote 0

Jamie77

Also if you share your solo Disney plans with friends/family/coworkers, be prepared. I got the remark that I was being so brave to travel by myself all the time. Disney is really safe so I didn't feel like I was being brave lol.

I'm scared to tell people I'm going solo because then they'll ask to tag along.:banghead:

Upvote 0

MagicMegan

Original Poster
This is the best part of planning. Making and changing ADRs/FPs are a daily routine for me this month.
I made some ADRs, then canceled them all. I'm torn on whether I want to be tied down to being somewhere at a certain time, or just winging it. I'm also not sure how much I will eat. I hate the humid hot, and don't eat much when I'm uncomfortable. So... lol

Upvote 0

MagicMegan

Original Poster
I'm scared to tell people I'm going solo because then they'll ask to tag along.:banghead:
A lot of people at work asked why I didn't invite them. At first I said sorry and asked if they wanted to go, but now my replies are more of a "If you have the money right now I can add you on, but honestly, I don't want anyone to go with me..."

Upvote 0

Jamie77

I got guilt tripped by everyone at work, asking why I didn't ask them to go. I basically had to tell them I was making my reservations with or without them, and as soon as they have the money I can add them on.

My family... well, my 12 year old niece is mad I'm not taking her. lol

I ended up getting guilt-tripped into taking a friend to WDW. Needless to say, we aren't friends anymore. That woman was the epitome of selfishness and pettiness. She totally ruined my supposed-to-be-solo trip.

Upvote 0

MagicMegan

Original Poster
On one of my solo trips, the Jungle Cruise skipper let me "drive" the boat. They may do that for other people but I've never seen it done before. But to be fair, I hardly ride this one much so I can't say how often it's done. I have the best intentions to do this ride when I'm in the park but end up getting side-tracked.
I'm not sure why but this is one of my favorite rides... I always seem to laugh and the DUMBEST parts though, when no one is gets the little quip remarks the skipper makes, so everyone is staring at me and the CM is trying not to crack up at how hard I'm laughing...

Upvote 0

Jamie77

A lot of people at work asked why I didn't invite them. At first I said sorry and asked if they wanted to go, but now my replies are more of a "If you have the money right now I can add you on, but honestly, I don't want anyone to go with me..."

I need to learn to be more assertive...

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom