First solo trip

MagicMegan

I'm thinking about doing a solo trip the last week of May. I know it's soon but it's kind of a 'get away to keep my sanity' trip lol. It would be for 4 nights and I would most likely stay at POP.

What are your pros and cons to solo trips so I can make the best decisions? :)

Deno

I yearned for some 'me time' a few years back and happened to be working a gig in New York so thought this was my big chance so after the show flew down to Orlando for 5 nights.

It was kinda weird, felt a little lonesome. I think it was the fact that there are so many families/couples etc. milling around all day that you start to miss the family a little.

Now obviously I don't your personal circumstances but that's what it was like for me. My big dream when planning that trip was to get onto the lazy river at Blizzard Beach and float around for hours without being pushed off the tube by my kids. Hahah, again, felt a little weird.

I DID love mooching around EPCOT at my leisure though, taking in the sights/sounds/foods/drinks and taking a bunch of photos but after a few hours i ended up heading to the Mall or hotel for pizza and a movie.

But hey, if you need to get away, you need to get away and there aren't many more relaxing places to do it than WDW I guess.

I doubt my post help you...i'm just rambling.

Have fun though. It wasn't a bad experience, just a little 'different' if you know what I mean.

Upvote 0

Worldlover71

I've taken two solo trips, one short (2 days) and one long (8 days) and had a great time both trips! I feel I should also say that I've gone with friends and family and also had a great time with them. I doubt very much that you will be bored and on the off chance that you are (maybe while waiting on a long line), you can call or Facetime a friend and gloat!

Some Pros: Single rider lines, eating when you're hungry, sleeping when you're tired, no waiting while someone is in the bathroom, changing plans on a whim. Some would say a con is not having anyone to talk to but I found lots of cast members and strangers to chat with. Some people also don't like eating alone. If that describes you, you can get food that is easy to walk with and enjoy it while you make your way to the next adventure. On my 2-day trip, I don't think I ever ate anything sitting down!

Have a great time and enjoy your sanity.

Upvote 0

DisneyDreamer08

About 7 years ago, before I had kids, I did a solo day in Disneyland (my parents joined me for two days after). I am definitely an introverted, keep to myself type person. I like being alone & not having to talk :) There were some things I really enjoyed. Walking and exploring at my leisure, shopping, taking pictures, watching shows & parades, riding the calmer rides. Some of the bigger rides were a little weird riding alone. Like I wish I had someone to turn to and say 'that was awesome!' I liked having a day to myself but was glad when my parents joined me. Now that I have kids, most Disney things would be weird to do alone, or even without my husband. But I could totally take some time alone to shop in Disney Springs, stroll down Main St, or snack around the World at Epcot. If you do go, find the things you love that will help you relax and enjoy :)

Upvote 0

BAChicagoGal

I never felt weird at all on any of solo trips to either WDW or Disneyland. However, I am one of those people who enjoy's her own company. I have vacationed with other people/family, and sure that is fun too. However, I just guess my personality type favors a solo trip.

Enjoy yours.

Upvote 0

MagicMegan

Original Poster
So this morning there was availability for the week I wanted, but now there isn't. :/ Oh well... I guess I can go in June heh.

I really want a more self paced trip, as opposed to the normal trip I'm used to where we're on the run the entire time.

Question though, when you guys went solo, did you get the dining plan? Or not bother?

Upvote 0

Worldlover71

I did not get the dining plan. With the way I like to eat, it does not work out in my favor economically. The only time I ever got the plan was when it was "free" and only because I was traveling with my nephew who is a bottomless pit. That time Disney lost money!

Upvote 0

Mickey1968

All my trips are solo trips and I almost wouldn't want to go with others now. I enjoy the freedom to come and go as you please. I am late riser and I love that I can schedule my FastPasses for late morning or afternoon and still get to sleep in. Also, I have done the dining plan a couple of times but it usually ends up being cheaper to pay out of pocket. The DP will allow you to splurge if you get the one with a TS each day, but that also ties you down to being in a specific place and time. Hope your trip works out!

Upvote 0

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I've done 3 solo trips, 2 to WDW and 1 to Disneyland. I had a blast each time. I don't have a problem eating by my self in restaurants, but if you do you might want to stick to quick service or at the bars at table service restaurants. I like being able to go at my own pace and do what I want. I haven't gotten the dining plan because it wouldn't have been cost efficient. I did miss my husband at times, and sometimes it would have been nice to share food with him. But there are times when I can go and he can't, and he has no problem with me going by myself. If you can swing it and you like doing stuff by yourself, go for it.

Upvote 0

JeffBostock

That's the days I was trying to get but when I looked again they were gone. :(

Are you looking only on Disney's website, or have you tried other travel agents? There is a travel agent who books blocks of rooms in advance through Disney's Group Reservations center. It's Magicalvacationstravel.com. Because they book blocks of rooms in advance, which they later sell to their clients, they have a different inventory pool with availability that another agent (including Disney's website) may not otherwise have.

I am actually going close to the same time frame you are wanting (May 25-31, to go for the Pandora opening). A few weeks ago they were able to book me a great deal at the Contemporary (Garden Wing) for around $300/night average. Looking on Disney's website today, the Garden Wing shows $498/night for the same dates. I found out about this company from @lentesta by reading one of his blogs on touringplans.com and scored an awesome deal. Thanks to Len for writing about them! So they may not only get you the dates you want, but get them for you at a greatly reduced rate.

So check out their site and submit a quote using offer code LMAY17 (for the time frame you are wanting). Not sure whether or not they'll have POP available but they may have another value or moderate in the ball park of what you are wanting to pay.

Another idea to get there for when you really prefer to go, is to perhaps look into changing resorts at some point during the trip. In case the resort you want is full the entire length of stay, that same resort you are looking at may have availability some of the days, and another resort may have availability the remainder of your stay.

As far as traveling solo is concerned, I'd definitely recommend it. Do it at least once in your life. I typically travel with my family when I go, however this past November I went solo for the first time and it was certainly the most peaceful and relaxing WDW trip I've ever made. Not saying it was the most enjoyable trip, but it was definitely awesome.

Obvious reasons for a solo trip are being able to decide on your own when and where you want to go without someone else not agreeing with you. I got to do what I wanted to do. I did the Keys to the Kingdom tour and Undiscovered Future World, which most folks in my family would probably not want to pay for the cost of, except for my dad. Definitely book some of these tours if it's within your budget.

Booking FP+ for D & E ticket attractions, making last minute changes, and booking your 4th, 5th, etc. additional FP+ at MK is easier because there is more FP+ availability for one person versus multiple people. If you want to eat good food but not sit at a table alone, of course you have a fair amount of restaurants with bars (except for MK) where you can sit at and order food off the menu.

There will always be people to talk to in lines, so you won't feel too alone. On the tours, the Cast Members do a great job of interacting with everyone on the tour as well.

Sorry for the long post, but I say go for it and good luck at getting something at the end of May. Pandora is opening! then!! Woo hoo!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

The best points about a solo trip are that you get to do things at your own pace, never waiting for someone else or having to consider their wants. You dine or snack or take breaks when ever you want to. Theres more freedom and choices you have. You can linger in areas or move on as you feel the desire to. The pressure of a family trip is gone. Single rider lines are available on some attractions which cuts down immensely on waiting in lines. You can really cover a lot of ground walking solo through the parks when you're not traveling with other people too. I also took more time conversing with CM's and other guests than I ever did before. When I went solo I didn't get the dining plan, I did reserve table service in a few of the places I really wanted to dine at, but most of the meals were counter service. That worked better for my style of attacking the parks solo.
The negatives are... missing riding with family members on your favorite rides, talking and sharing your days moments with your family, going back to an empty resort room at night. I did have a great time shopping for family members and was excited to bring back souvenirs I knew they would enjoy. The solo trip does give you time to accomplish more and was relaxing but you do have to be able to deal with being by yourself.

Upvote 0

GVentola

As a local passholder, I almost always go alone, usually just for a few hours on a Saturday. I have also taken solo trips out to Disneyland/California Adventure. It has spoiled me for going with others. Sometimes my parents have gone and their passes did not allow for free parking (at the time), so I had to tag along with them since my pass covered parking. Dad tends to walk really fast as though he is on some secret mission, and Mom and I struggled to keep up. It was hard to even tell him we had to stop to use the restroom. Then Mom and Dad squabble in my happy place. I've also gone with club members, and found it difficult doing what they wanted to do, instead of deciding for myself like I usually do. So I'm quite happy solo.

Upvote 0
Go for it!! I go a couple times a year by myself and I love it. You can go at your own pace if you get bored it's always fun to take a break have a seat and people watch. I love standing around and watching the character meet and greets and watching the kids get so excited. I did get the dining plan a couple of times but don't anymore I always had meals left over, one time on my last day had 3 meals left on plan I used one and there was young couple behind me in line and I got their lunch didn't want to waste them. Needless to say they were very happy!!

Upvote 0

Simba's Mom

I'm thinking about doing a solo trip the last week of May. I know it's soon but it's kind of a 'get away to keep my sanity' trip lol. It would be for 4 nights and I would most likely stay at POP.

What are your pros and cons to solo trips so I can make the best decisions? :)

All pros, no cons. I've taken about 10-12 solo trips and loved every one. One real nice thing is talking to CMs. I find the CMs to be especially forthcoming with solos. I've gotten some interesting little tidbits about working there. And one day (in a stage whisper), "There's a TV crew filming inside, but don't tell any other guests, we don't want them to notice!" Why she told me, I'll never know. And you can do whatever you want whenever-spend the whole morning just sitting at the French Pastry shop in Epcot, or riding the bus listening to excited first-timers (if you like)-point is, anything you want. One tip-if you dine table serve, when you check in, point out that you're solo and since you won't have a dining companion to talk with and pass the time, you'd really appreciate an interesting view. By asking politely, I've gotten some great views that way-tankside at Coral Reef, window side at California Grill and at Chefs de France, on the porch at Rose and Crown, etc.

Upvote 0

disneygeek90

I’m local (15 mins), and I love going by myself. But, doing things alone has never bothered me. I’m the type of person that will do things alone if no one else wants to go (dinner, movies etc).

My best advice would be to take everything in. People watch, chat up a bored cast member, go in a store or part of an exhibit or pathway you’ve never gone into. Disney is, for so many, a place of freedom and fun and excitement, but at the same time restrictions about who you’re with, what they want and do not want to do, dealing with tired group members and giving and taking. There’s always accommodations made when with others. This is the time to do things when you, and only you, want to do them.

Have a drink, walk around Epcot, sit at the bar at Rainforest, watch a spontaneous live street show, and enjoy not having to worry about what anyone else is doing.

Upvote 0

correcaminos

My solo trips were nice. Sometimes local friends would meet up and such too. If you went by yourself soon enough you could see Pandora at your own pace. I personally would not choose Pop for a laid back trip though. It's noisy for me. I'd likely pick a place with a nice quiet pool or two to enjoy.

I never did the dining plan and definitely not alone. I just cannot eat that much.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom