How young is too young?

LJF

After 7 trips to Disney World, 2 to Disneyland, and 1 day in Disneyland Paris as adults without children, my wife an I our expecting our first child. We have gone back and forth on how old this kid should be before we take another Disney trip. One thought is when they are out of diapers, and then we start thinking of having a very Dapper baby for Dapper Day in 2018 is very tempting. What are current parents thoughts on this?
Congrats!

Just have the baby in MK. Try to prove the myth of passes for life true.

Incomudro

How one feels about this depends upon the parents of course.
I suppose where one is located could factor in as well.
If I lived near WDW and could have driven there, I might have taken my sons (twins) at stroller age.
We live in the northeast however, and a Disney trip required a flight and hotel stay.
As far as my wife and I were concerned, such a trip would not have happened before our sons were five years of age.
We took them at six years of age.
Much of this was based on our desire for our sons to be able to walk the parks with us (no strollers) ride most or all height restricted rides, and engage and converse with us fully.
As well as to have memories of the experience.

Last edited:

habuma

After 7 trips to Disney World, 2 to Disneyland, and 1 day in Disneyland Paris as adults without children, my wife an I our expecting our first child. We have gone back and forth on how old this kid should be before we take another Disney trip. One thought is when they are out of diapers, and then we start thinking of having a very Dapper baby for Dapper Day in 2018 is very tempting. What are current parents thoughts on this?

When we were in Disneyland a couple of weeks ago, I saw a woman carrying a tiny baby that couldn't possibly have been more than a few weeks old. I'm not sure that's a decision I'd make, but it wasn't my kid. Each Disney parent must make that decision for themselves and for their child.

We took our girls to WDW for the first time when they were 2 and 4...and I think it was a wonderful age for their first trip. Although the youngest doesn't remember anything about it now (possibly due to age and possibly due to any remnant memories being blended with the several other trips we've had since then), it was very clear that she enjoyed it. An experience doesn't have to be remembered to be enjoyed at that moment.

Just know that Disney with young kids is quite different than Disney with older kids, which is still different than Disney with no kids. When you go without kids, it's all for you. When you go with young children, it's mostly for them, but you get the benefit of experiencing it through their eyes and seeing the wonder in their eyes when they first meet their favorite character. You won't be riding Expedition Everest with them, but that'll come later when they're older--when it's fun (and not so mean) seeing the fright in their eyes on the first drop of Tower of Terror.

danyoung56

I used to feel pretty strongly that 6 was a great age for a first visit. It's how old I was when I went to DL for the first time. But a few years ago I did a DL visit with my brother, his wife and their 2 year old daughter. She had a blast, and still talks about it. She was in a stroller, and whenever she got tired we just pushed her into the shade and let her nap while we talked quietly for 30 minutes or so. It made for an entirely different park storming experience than I was used to, but it was a really fun day.

Now, those who visit with newborns? Sorry, but that's just wrong.

AndyS2992

Ideally 8 years old and up. They are tall enough for most rides, they will remember it, they won't need a stroller or a an extra diaper bag to lug around. Wait until they are older, as hard as that may seem.

PrincessRachelT

We took ours at 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months and will be going twice more before his 1st birthday. Yes, the trips are for us, as he won't remember anything, but I know he has fun. He's all giggles when he sees Mickey and he loves rides. Whenever you feel ready and want to take your baby, go! Have a great time! We don't run around the parks and we do have to think about him when we plan, but it's so much fun to take him.

Worldlover71

One thing that I don't think anyone has mentioned is that children are free until they turn 3. Your expenses will go up considerable after that so enjoy the less expensive trips while you can! I may be biased though since I was two weeks old on my first trip.

Launchpad McQuack

We took ours at 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months and will be going twice more before his 1st birthday. Yes, the trips are for us, as he won't remember anything, but I know he has fun. He's all giggles when he sees Mickey and he loves rides. Whenever you feel ready and want to take your baby, go! Have a great time! We don't run around the parks and we do have to think about him when we plan, but it's so much fun to take him.

While we didn't take our daughter when she was THAT young, I agree with your general statement here. She won't remember this in the long run, but she has so much fun there now and we have fun just being there and watching her (plus doing our favorite stuff, too). The first day of our most recent trip, just watching her as we went down Main Street, pointing out every Mickey/Minnie/Daisy she saw as we went and pointing to "Rella's castle!" excitedly, and RUNNING to Daisy and Minnie at their M&G made the whole trip worth it.

rob0519

What's wrong with taking them for yourself? Are we not supposed to have good memories with our children? I loved the pictures we had of our first trip (5 month old) together. They also remember more than you realize. What was seen at 1.5 was remembered for a year or so later and then trips after that, it just solidified the good feelings.

I remember my 2nd birthday, so kids remember more than you think.

I think if you are only going to go once or twice you wait, but if you are more of a regular goer, who cares what age you take them. I didn't stop going places just because I had a kid, and I am so grateful for the great memories we did have even as an infant. We did intentionally stay at the Epcot or MK areas to make naptime easier but the rest was fine.

There is nothing wrong with parents taking infants to Disney for the parents enjoyment. I have friends who have taken infants to the park and said it was no problem for them. If it works for you, great. It's something we did once and chose not to do again. It was an opinion question and you don't agree with my opinion. It doesn't make either of us right nor either of us wrong.

However, even the OP wrote "One thought is when they are out of diapers".

correcaminos

There is nothing wrong with parents taking infants to Disney for the parents enjoyment. I have friends who have taken infants to the park and said it was no problem for them. If it works for you, great. It's something we did once and chose not to do again. It was an opinion question and you don't agree with my opinion. It doesn't make either of us right nor either of us wrong.

However, even the OP wrote "One thought is when they are out of diapers".
Sorry it sounded like you thought it was a poor idea to take kids when they are young. I do bet your son remembers more than you think though.

We go every year (sometimes more and once in a blue moon having to take off a year) so the memories of the kids weren't a consideration for me. The only thing I ever did and said never again was my 1st pregnancy I went while in the 1st trimester still. That was the only family related thing that I was miserable doing. Babies were easy compared to that LOL

LeighM

Congrats for the new addition to your family!! I remember your past trip reports and I think a Dapper Day baby would be beyond adorable :) But you'll get so many different answers to this question and it really is determined by your family and child - and time of year! I don't have kids of my own but my friends who have taken theirs have either complained about their kids not wanting to be in the park and whining about wanting to stay at the pool all day or loved it and wish they had taken them sooner. My Mom made the mistake of taking me when I was about 2 years old and apparently everyone had a miserable time. It was too hot, I was cranky, I was scared of the characters, and I wanted to be carried everywhere. According to them, I made everyone so miserable they never wanted to go back LOL.

TiggerDad

Our oldest was almost 2 on her first visit, but the second was only 3 months old. Both of them enjoyed their first visit, probably in different ways. And having a small child (or a large child) does change the way you visit the parks dramatically. You need to watch their energy level and be prepared to take a break as needed. Another thing to consider is how far you have to travel to get there. We were advised by doctors that it was better to wait until they are three months old before flying, if possible. Long car rides are not a pleasant option for some children.

Disney.Mike

I've took my youngest at 3 months to DL, oldest was 3 1/2 potty trained, and very advanced for her age, think a typical 5-6 year old.

When I moved out of California we went to WDW when the youngest was 2 1/2. Later when I remarried, I took my stepdaughter the month before her 3rd birthday, with the older 2 being 5 and 8.

I would not hesitate to take a baby 6 months or older to WDW, in the COOLER months. If, like my younger child, she came out of the womb sleeping through the night, I would take them as soon as the Dr gave the all clear to their mother to do the walking.

I would not take a child under 2 to WDW during the hot summer months.

But I will hardly take myself to WDW in the hot summer months.

Disney.Mike

I've took my youngest at 3 months to DL, oldest was 3 1/2 potty trained, and very advanced for her age, think a typical 5-6 year old, and tall enough to ride everything 40" or less. At 5 1/2 she was tall enough to ride RnR at WDW

When I moved out of California we went to WDW when the youngest was 2 1/2. Later when I remarried, I took my stepdaughter the month before her 3rd birthday, with the older 2 being 5 and 8.

I would not hesitate to take a baby 6 months or older to WDW, in the COOLER months. If, like my younger child, she came out of the womb sleeping through the night, I would take them as soon as the Dr gave the all clear to their mother to do the walking.

I would not take a child under 2 to WDW during the hot summer months.

But I will hardly take myself to WDW in the hot summer months.

Kevin_W

While we didn't take our daughter when she was THAT young, I agree with your general statement here. She won't remember this in the long run, but she has so much fun there now and we have fun just being there and watching her (plus doing our favorite stuff, too).

I think far too much is made of "will they remember it" - live in the moment and enjoy today for today. My wife and I went to WDW for our honeymoon nearly 21 years ago and I remember almost nothing of the trip. (I recently learned that Wishes wan't the fireworks show at the time!) Does that mean we shouldn't have gone? Heck no.

yaksplat

2 worked out well for all three of my kids. They're all spaced out at 3 years, so last time wee had a 2 year old, the older ones were 5 and 8 and that didn't pose any problems. Naps occurred in the stroller.
Although i'm very excited that our next trip will be 100% stroller free :)

DisneyPrincess5

I'm all about taking kids at any age, but just keep certain factors in mind. Diapers vs toilet trained, talking vs nonverbal, remembering for themselves vs remembering/experiencing through photos, etc.
I'd strongly consider when you're going regarding temperatures and sun exposure, meaning is it safe and can you protect them appropriately from scalding heat and humidity, risk of dehydration, and sun burns.
Congratulations and have fun!

Launchpad McQuack

I think far too much is made of "will they remember it" - live in the moment and enjoy today for today. My wife and I went to WDW for our honeymoon nearly 21 years ago and I remember almost nothing of the trip. (I recently learned that Wishes wan't the fireworks show at the time!) Does that mean we shouldn't have gone? Heck no.

Agreed 100%. There is one trip in particular from when I was in second grade (1992). I have very few clear memories of the actual WDW part of the trip, but I have ridiculous memories (which have probably been distorted by retellings over the years) of the Griswold-esque adventure getting there. Even with the vague memories of the vacation itself (and all the bad stuff that happened on the way down), everyone who went still cherishes that trip.

Bacon

Congrats! I think newborn is a ripe age for rides like PPF, LM, WTP, SmW, LwtL, 3Cabs, NRJ but I'd say about 5 years for Barnstormer, 7DMT, BTM, SpaceM, Soarin' and about 7 for SPLASH and 9 Or 10 for stuff like TOT RRC, FOP, ETC

Disney.Mike

Congrats! I think newborn is a ripe age for rides like PPF, LM, WTP, SmW, LwtL, 3Cabs, NRJ but I'd say about 5 years for Barnstormer, 7DMT, BTM, SpaceM, Soarin' and about 7 for SPLASH and 9 Or 10 for stuff like TOT RRC, FOP, ETC

I went by the rule of: If your tall enough, you'll ride it once. If you dont want to ride it after that you dont have to.

TOT and EE are the only rides that are remotely scarey in WDW

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom