2017 NASCAR

wdwfan4ver

I am not shocked he is retiring. I was lucky to watch him win at one my hometracks when he was a Busch Series driver in 1998.

The truth is Dale suffered at least 4 or 5 concussions in his race career and the ones he had in 2016 was a warning to him. Dale Jr. to me didn't quite live up to his potential as a cup driver due to injuries. Dale suffered more than concussions as a driver. He suffered a shoulder injury in 1999 and burns in 2004. Those burns in 2004 I thought hurt his career from a win standpoint. Dale has only 14 wins after those burns in the cup series and only 11 cup wins after the 2004 season.

I think his legacy is one of a very good cup driver, who was overrated or underrated depending on who you talk to.

I think this is going hurt NASCAR a lot, but its NASCAR's own fault. I said NASCAR's own fault due to management. Race Fans have left NASCAR because a driver retires due to them liking a driver more than NASCAR due to the decisions Management makes. This year with the segments haven't helped the tv ratings at all based on what I seen in tv ratings.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

I think the top 2 drivers to replace Dale Jr. are Alex Bowman and William Byron. If I am Rick Hendrick don't bring William Byron up in 2018.

The problem with William Byron is he needs another season in the Xfinity series, otherwise he'll be another Joey Logano. A Joey Logano is a driver with great potential, but needed to go to a 2nd cup organization to become a star driver.

Joey Logano is a star driver, but it took him leaving Joe Gibbs Racing to be a star cup driver. Joey was 18 in 2009 and wasn't ready for taking over for Stewart yet and having Tony's old crew chief didn't matters in that case.

Only 2 of Joey's current 17 cup wins happened at Joe Gibbs Racing. 15 of those wins happened from 2013 to now after being with Joe Gibbs Racing from 2009 to 2012.

patch553

absolutely gutted,but its right decision for Dale.Weve been lucky enough to come over and watch him race to win the Daytona 500 and 2 duel wins and they will always be treasured memories,another one was the day we went to magic kingdom only to see a hendrick lorry at the Richard petty driving school only to find junior himself testing.During a break he came over and spent a good time talking,taking photos and signing stuff, really really really made our whole trip. his shoes will be hard to fill but with the likes of Larson,Elliott,Blaney,Jones the next superstar wont be long in coming forward

MOXOMUMD

Original Poster
I am not shocked he is retiring. I was lucky to watch him win at one my hometracks when he was a Busch Series driver in 1998.

The truth is Dale suffered at least 4 or 5 concussions in his race career and the ones he had in 2016 was a warning to him. Dale Jr. to me didn't quite live up to his potential as a cup driver due to injuries. Dale suffered more than concussions as a driver. He suffered a shoulder injury in 1999 and burns in 2004. Those burns in 2004 I thought he career from a win standpoint. Dale has only 14 wins after those burns in the cup series and only 11 cup wins after the 2004 season.

I think his legacy is one of a very good cup driver, who was overrated or underrated depending on who you talk to.

I think this is going hurt NASCAR a lot, but its NASCAR's own fault. I said NASCAR's own fault due to management. Race Fans have left NASCAR because a driver retires due to them liking a driver more than NASCAR due to the decisions Management makes. This year with the segments haven't helped the tv ratings at all based on what I seen in tv ratings.
I hate the segments. It seems like the races are getting longer.

MOXOMUMD

Original Poster
Screenshot_2017-04-30-17-36-59.jpg

TOYOTA OWNERS 400, RICHMOND

1. Joey Logano
2. Brad Keselowski
3. Denny Hamlin

wdwfan4ver

I hate the segments. It seems like the races are getting longer.
That is not the only problem with them. Those segments caused a points system to be broken.

At Richmond, Joey Logano earned the 4th most points in the race before points taken away for failing a followup inspection on Tuesday. The problem with Joey having the 4th most points in the race before Tuesday is the fact Joey won the race. The other problem with Richmond with points was Ricky Stenhouse earned the same amount of points as Matt Kenseth despite Ricky finishing 4th and Matt finishing 23rd.

That points issue shows what problems are going to happen during the chase.

If I were a CEO of NASCAR, Segment racing would be going away and do changes with the points system that prevents stuff like the winner of the race not earning the most points in a race. Those would be 2 of the first 5 things I would change.

wdwfan4ver

What I am referring to points changes is go back to rewards points for leading a lap, and leading the most laps. Since drivers back in the old days were rewards for leading a lap halfway, I feel drivers should get points 5 points for that.

As far as the other 3 changes go in year one.
3.) Drivers are eligible for the chase only if they race all 26 races before the chase.
4.) Lucky dog rule gone. Since NASCAR has the wave around as a way to get a lap back, having a lucky dog rule is overkill.
5.) New Lugnut rule. Goes back to the old way of if lugnuts are missing during pit stop, the driver has to pit again. Teams wouldn't have crew chiefs suspended for missing lugnuts, losing points, and getting a fine.

wdwfan4ver

NASCAR is delaying their announcement of the 2018 schedule. What is happening is there is talks about IMS track date next about moving it up and IMS is considering making it a road course race.

I know why IMS is considering road racing. The fact is the Brickyard 400 attendance is has declined very rapidly in the last 9 years and the decline started before the infamous 2008 tire problems. I think the crowd for last year's Brickyard 400 was around 50,000 despite the same track over 300,000 fans for the Indy 500.

The attendance issue for IMS for NASCAR races is 2 things. The first thing is the novelty of stock cars racing at IMS ended years ago with bad racing. The 2nd thing is the 2008 Brickyard 400 Tire problems caused the attendance to go down fast. The 2008 Brickyard 400 tire problems had tires that couldn't even last 12 laps.

The decline started in 2007 with a decrease of 10,000 fans from the 2006 Brickyard 400 to the 2007 Brickyard 400. The track than lost another 30,000 fans for 2007 Brickyard 400 to the 2008 Brickyard 400, but still had 240,000 fans in 2008. 60,000 fans stopped go into the Brickyard 400 in 2009 due to the tire problems in 2008 and the event went down every year since.

wdwfan4ver

Aric Almirola has suffered a compression fracture to the T5 vertebrae in his back from last nights crash. More information should be coming in this week I'm guessing.

wdwfan4ver

Regan Smith is going to be the driver in the 43 car for the open race.

It is unknown who the driver will be in the 43 car after All star weekend for Aric while he's recovering.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

Supposedly there is plans of announcing NASCAR's 2018 schedule. There is rumored changes by Jayski's site.

IMS is going to be move where Richmond's 2nd cup date is with it being the final regular season cup race. Richmond is rumored to be a chase race. Chicagoland is rumored to be have its race date to be moved into the regular season with Las Vegas starting the chase. I'm guessing that Chicagoland would be taking IMS July date if the rumor of IMS is true. I'm guessing that means Richmond would be taking the 2nd date of the chase.

I'm guessing the move of IMS is due to a request by the speedway with the hope of improving attendance at the track since it could play a key role in what team could make the chase. While the average high temperature is 5 degrees cooler in that part of September compare to July, I don't know if that is going to draw more fans either.

My thought is IMS not a great place to try provide excitement for who will make the chase based and the racing at IMS usually isn't that great for passing in NASCAR from an oval standpoint.

Moving Richmond down is going to be interesting if happens. Average temperatures at Richmond are 5 degrees cooler 2 weeks after the current 2nd Richmond race date.

Chicagoland isn't a bad idea if does move to July. The track has lights and that beats having 6 1.5 mile tracks in the 2018 chase.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom