Pandora Spoiler Thread

dolphinforces

I think it will be a great enjoyable ride. However, we can anticipate the waits will be crazy. And i continue to argue anyone who would wait more than 20 minutes for it is crazy.

Including those guests who are making a trip for Pandora? It's an ok ride for a wait of an hour or less. It's immersive and beautiful. I'm surprised with all of the hate it's getting for a C-ticket

Bairstow

I haven't seen it in person, and I am certain that it is far more impressive in the flesh.
It certainly looks beautiful, and I have no problems enjoying a beautiful night themed boat ride.
I do a agree with you that is appears they went light on this.
With all of the plants that move in the movie, and all of the bizarre animals, I expected Disney would use this opportunity to do more.

But screens are cheaper than animatronics.
Why spend money they don't have to?

flyerjab

From what I have seen thus far regarding the River Ride, the Imagineers - and this goes with the land itself - really treat the flora and bioluminescence on equal footing with the native Na'vi and the animals. So much so that it appears to be the major physical aspect of this ride itself, apart from the Shaman at the end.

I think it is going to depend what people expect out of it going in. If people want a darkened, cool, but relaxing journey through a "natural" environment, that is what this reminds me of; almost like the first part of Living with the Land but without any accompanying narration. Let's face it, the Shaman at the end might be the most-advance AA (and it is clearly what team-Pandora is emphasizing about this ride), but it is still only one AA. Some will have an issue with that as they will expect more physical effects (i.e., more AA creatures) aside from the plethora of bioluminescent flora that they are throwing at you. Considering budget limitations and the rumor that they went way over budget, tells me that they really focused on the plants and rock work, the parts that they could reliably reproduce that will stand the test of time as they require no moving parts that will need to be constantly updated and fixed.

And I don't throw this out there as a slanderous comment about the NRJ at all. I will appreciate it for what it is and what it has always been sold as (at least to me): a relaxing, musical journey through a Pandoran rainforest. What I believe that I will appreciate most is the degree of depth that is created via the use of screens. I don't mind them being integrated into physical sets at all, and this appears to have been done with a slight degree of subtlety. The screens are engulfed and utterly drowned out by the physical sets. There is one in particular of the viper wolves I believe where there are some in the front of the screen but then way off in the distance is another that runs along the top of a fallen tree. To me, the use of screens to create an appearance of endless depth within this rainforest looks incredible and one that I can't wait to see first hand. But I could see some being disappointed with the lack of physical AAs. That might be my one knock on it as well. But everything else about it looks great.

flyerjab

If you get a chance to ride it, you will be awed by one particular screen that will make you question if there it an animatronic or not

I have heard that also, that the second Na'vi is actually a screen created effect as opposed to a physical AA and that it is stunning in how real it looks in a physical sense.

Again, to me this is a very different experience as it really focuses on the forest and plant life as opposed to the animals. All moving creatures - with the exception of the Shaman - are handled with screens. As long as it is done well I have no issues with it as it allows a greater degree of freedom with the animals than they could otherwise not achieve (i.e., viper wolves running along a tree branch, with the small cubs rolling around and play-fighting with each other). Also, if done with the proper technique, the screens should be integrated such that it appears seamless. I believe that with the one Na'vi figure they have definitely pulled that off as people on Twitter and various blogs have been disagreeing on whether it was a actual physical AA or not.

dolphinforces

Also, if done with the proper technique, the screens should be integrated such that it appears seamless. I believe that with the one Na'vi figure they have definitely pulled that off as people on Twitter and various blogs have been disagreeing on whether it was a actual physical AA or not.

Definitely well done screen effects

djdan888

The problem is everyone saw what Disney did with Pirates in Shanghai and were expecting something at least along these lines. I like dark rides too but this one, first of all, seems way way too short. Why couldn't it be longer? 4 or 5 minutes tops? That alone would get it better reviews I think.
It lacks some basic thrills like drops. Not saying drops are necessary, but with a ride this tranquil, throw us a bone here and there to keep it fresh and keep people awake. Also,from what I have heard, the screens are not consistent. Some screens are very good and some are painfully obvious. Once you ride once, why would you ever need to go on it again? At least in the Land, the vegetables change and there are people occasionally working "the fields' that is sometimes fun to watch.

VulcanCafe

The problem is everyone saw what Disney did with Pirates in Shanghai and were expecting something at least along these lines. I like dark rides too but this one, first of all, seems way way too short. Why couldn't it be longer? 4 or 5 minutes tops? That alone would get it better reviews I think.
It lacks some basic thrills like drops. Not saying drops are necessary, but with a ride this tranquil, throw us a bone here and there to keep it fresh and keep people awake. Also,from what I have heard, the screens are not consistent. Some screens are very good and some are painfully obvious. Once you ride once, why would you ever need to go on it again? At least in the Land, the vegetables change and there are people occasionally working "the fields' that is sometimes fun to watch.

The full ride video I watched was almost 6 minutes from dispatch to dock. Did I miss something?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I wasn't counting the time you are waiting for your boat to load and get off. I guess if you add that, you can make it sound longer.

I think 4:50 was the accepted total ride time.

Just under 4:00 was the original insider designation. The one complete video we have has the ride at 5:50, and that is not counting load/unload time. That's from cast off to hitting the skids at the end. Someone said they're aiming for 4:30 to 5:30 with an average of 5:00, but, I really haven't seen an insider confirm any new official time target.

Bairstow

I am being 100% serious. Why was the decision made to make the ride so short? All that land they have there and the ride could have been much longer. I really do think the shortness will be a huge complaint once this opens to the masses.

Budgetary constraints, one would assume.
Same reason they only built the one animatronic.

Incomudro

Well, Pirates is about Pirates - they weren't a tranquil bunch.
The purpose of the Navi River Journey is to produce a tranquil ride.
It's a peaceful, dreamy ride down a nighttime river.
Believing it should have thrills or excitement in it is akin to believing The Land should have those things.
I do agree that it is relatively short, and could have offered more visuals.

VulcanCafe

I am being 100% serious. Why was the decision made to make the ride so short? All that land they have there and the ride could have been much longer. I really do think the shortness will be a huge complaint once this opens to the masses.

Full ride video showed the ride as 5:50. Not loading, not waiting. Boat is moving 5:50.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom