Guest services texting guests?

GrumpyFan

Original Poster
I read an account on FB about a family at DHS who experienced an unexpected delay while waiting for RNR. Apparently it was estimated 35 minutes standby wait time, but something happened to make their wait more than an hour.

Sometime afterwards, Disney Guest Svcs texted the mom, asking if they were impacted by the RNR issues. They offered them extra FPs for the trouble.

This is the first I've heard of such thing and was just wondering if anyone else has heard of it or experienced GS contacting them via text?

Seems like a very proactive and inventive use of the tech to enchance the guest experience.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
I'm skeptical. If the FB poster was in the FP line, the system knows which guests have FP for an attraction and when the ride goes down those guests are emailed (not texted.) If the FB poster was in the standby line (which is what it sounds like) there is NO WAY Disney is going to take valuable time and track every guest in that line (assuming they can even do so.)

The only possibility I can think of is if the FB poster answered a survey about her ride experience (sometimes there are CMs stationed that do that) and left her cell number. Then (possibly) her story has merit.

We have been recently stuck in lines much longer than the sign says due to tech difficulties and have never been contacted by Guest Services.

GrumpyFan

Original Poster
I'm skeptical. If the FB poster was in the FP line, the system knows which guests have FP for an attraction and when the ride goes down those guests are emailed (not texted.) If the FB poster was in the standby line (which is what it sounds like) there is NO WAY Disney is going to take valuable time and track every guest in that line (assuming they can even do so.)
They said they were not in FP line and didn't have a FP to ride it.

I'm wondering if it was tracked via the Magic Band or maybe the MDX app.

GrumpyFan

Original Poster
I thought I read where MB (v1) had at least 2 different methods/tech for RF communication. One was short range used by the FP entry points, the other for longer range (proximity) like what's used on Small World.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I thought I read where MB (v1) had at least 2 different methods/tech for RF communication. One was short range used by the FP entry points, the other for longer range (proximity) like what's used on Small World.
The short range is a passive chip that is used for FP+, resort entry, park entry, and paying for merchandise. Since it is not powered, it will last for years and years. The long range is powered, and as you stated is used for tech like Small World and for on-board ride pictures and videos. The battery for it should last about 2-3 years, but the MB can be used for everything else regardless.

LAM378

Semi-related: I got this text out of nowhere on Sunday. I am on property, but I had no need to respond, so I didn't.

Attachments

• IMG_5564.PNG
    IMG_5564.PNG
    209.7 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_5564.PNG
    IMG_5564.PNG
    209.7 KB · Views: 139

Nemo14

I find that rather creepy. It reminds me of a call I got on my cell from Guest Services responding to a letter I had written. At the time the only people with my cellphone number were immediate family, and I knew I hadn't included it in my letter. It turned out that I had given that number at POR once when there was a delay in having our room ready.

Last edited:
Guest services texted me in March after a lengthy wait at the Guest Services counter at Epcot due to my tickets not showing up on the Magic Band from a glitch. Very long wait and I was not very pleased at wasting 45 minutes in the morning during prime ride time.

About 30 minutes later I got a text saying they would give us an extra fast pass for whatever day during our trip. They set it up by text for Splash Mountain the next day. I really appreciated that they did that as I work a lot so time is really valuable to me and it made up for the earlier inconvenience.

BigRedDad

It would not surprise me at all that they can track this. The MBs can track everything about you. They have supercomputers that track your Disney habits. They have analytic sw that can track trends of Disney guests. All of this information can be used for research. They data can be used to see if they should be charging for something that people are using. A random, unrealistic example is taking pictures at Cinderella's Fountain. If enough people go to it every day, they could turn it into an attraction. If they track that 75% of guests eat QS at Cosmic Ray's, they know they can up the price by 10-15% to make more money or divert crowds to the other locations.

Trust me, they will know every habit you have and the number of times you go to the restroom. It is all tracked and utilized.

tsaintc

It would not surprise me at all that they can track this. The MBs can track everything about you. They have supercomputers that track your Disney habits. They have analytic sw that can track trends of Disney guests. All of this information can be used for research. They data can be used to see if they should be charging for something that people are using. A random, unrealistic example is taking pictures at Cinderella's Fountain. If enough people go to it every day, they could turn it into an attraction. If they track that 75% of guests eat QS at Cosmic Ray's, they know they can up the price by 10-15% to make more money or divert crowds to the other locations.

Trust me, they will know every habit you have and the number of times you go to the restroom. It is all tracked and utilized.

This is 100% true...An old friend of mine worked at WDW back when the MB/Fastpass+ system was being created. He was a part of the IT team that was working through the system requirements. Based on what he used to tell me, I believe they can track just about anything you can think of...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom