Rumor Bye Bye (Tiki) Birdies?

Phil12

Could still do exclusive merch....
Unfortunately, exclusivity pushes the price up to the point that excludes purchases by the average guest. Back when Animal Kingdom first opened they had some very nice stuff. It was so expensive that little of it sold. WDW knows what their retail guests will spend on such items. Retail shoppers like bargains even at WDW.

Bairstow

Unfortunately, exclusivity pushes the price up to the point that excludes purchases by the average guest. Back when Animal Kingdom first opened they had some very nice stuff. It was so expensive that little of it sold. WDW knows what their retail guests will spend on such items. Retail shoppers like bargains even at WDW.

Yeah, but I think Disney also knows their markets and submarkets pretty well.
If, for instance, you go to the Co-Op at the Downtown Disney marketplace there's a lot of fairly limited-edition merch that caters specifically to fairly-hardcore Disney nerds. Most of it isn't available in but one or two shops on property, and is either unavailable online or hard(er) to find. The approach intrigues me because it's obviously aimed squarely at the enthusiast/collector market but isn't ludicrously overpriced. I mean, by Disney standards.

matt9112

You can make a mug....with an exclusive design it doesn't need to be something insane imo.

Bocabear

You know, since they are never going to restore the magical fountain in the middle of the room, why don't they build a new Uh-Oah Godess and rewrite a new show using her without the Gilbert Gotfried other cast of the "Under New Management" show..' The show hostess, rather than waking up Jose, could sound a conch horn and bring forth the spirit of Polynesia who would then be the narrator and story teller for the show...Udated in-theater effects, more dramatic storm sequence They could create a very viable and fresh attraction without being gimicky and silly...as a side note,...Sad that when they moved Uh-Oah to Trader Sams, they did not animate her... She would have been a great show element in the bar...

Bairstow

So the article notes something Jim Hill brought up in a podcast and chatter in internet forums? Not exactly hard-hitting journalism there.

Bocabear

That is not the description I would use for that nonsensical drivel...
oh ok I was being harsh and I forgot there are actually children on these boards... Sorry...
But when you post, try to speak in complete sentences. Thanks
We have wasted 7 posts responding to that... ugh

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Thats not the POINT of the truly high end items. They are there to set a mood and define the top end of the experience like the Original Disney stores which had original animation cels and maquettes for sale perhaps only one out of a thousand customers purchased them but it kept that class of customer in the stores buying more inexpensive items as well

But high end merchandise is incompatible with the wal mart model where each SkU needs to sell x units per day...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom