Studios vs. IOA

rnese

Original Poster
I need some help/advice. Here's my situation...
I'm checking out of Cocoa Beach on a Saturday. I check in in Ft. Lauderdale on Sunday. I told my boys we're just getting a side-of-the road hotel for one night, but I'm looking to go to Universal for either 1 day (Saturday) or 2 days (Sat. and Sunday, then driving to Lauderdale Sunday night) and surprising them, not even telling them until we are at the gates.
I have 2 boys, 12 and 9. They both love HP. Should we...

1. Do Studios only. I know they won't get to ride the train. They won't get to do "Forbidden Journey". They'd definitely love Jurassic Park, King Kong, and Spiderman.

2. Do IOA only. They won't get to do Escape from Gringott's. They'd definitely love Transformers, MIB, Mummy, and probably ET.

3. Do 2 days, 2 parks. Do everything.

Money is an issue...not that much though if you think it's a "no-brainer" to do 2 days though. On the other hand, the boys would be happy with a surprise of just one day.

So, what do you recommend? Thanks.

JoeCamel

1 day two parks and concentrate on the HP lands or 2 days both parks or 2 days park to park. (My choice) There is plenty to do for 2 - 3 days to see it all, if you want to leave them wanting and will come back for more do as DH says. If it will be once in their lives spring for the extra and do it right with both parks. They will never be young wizards again

rnese

Original Poster
We're planning a Disney trip next year and are considering tacking 2 days on at the end for Uni. I probably should have put that in the scenario as well.

danpam1024

If money is an issue, 1 day 2 park. THat will build excitement for your next trip- maybe they'll want to drop a WDW day and add a UOR day :) I would go with IOA as well if you just do one park- just for FJ and the water rides! BTW- when are you going? if it's in summer, you won't get much done without EP, so I'd stick to one park.

BubbaQuest

If I had to choose one park, I'd go with IOA. The Hulk, Spidey, Forbidden Journey trifecta is pretty powerful.

If you are huge HP fans, you might want to think about 1day park hoppers. Spend most of the day in IOA. Hop the train in the afternoon to Diagon Alley and then try to hit Mummy or one other ride on the way out.

DisneyPrincess5

If I were your I'd either go with the 2 parks, 2 days option or the 1 day 2 park ticket option. It's stinky to only do one park because well, that's just no fun, and as you mentions, it means no train.
Sounds like the 1 day, 2 park ticket may be best financially. It'll be great, we've done it many times. Just do the biggest things you guys want to do first (I'd recommend Gringotts, train, Forbidden Journey in that order) then do other stuff.

Bairstow

If you do one day, I'd go with IOA.

There is always next trip for the rest.

I agree. Even with the Diagon Alley expansion IOA is still the stronger of the two parks, by a good margin.
Just make sure you're prepared to get wet, as three of its best rides are water-based.

If no one's ever been to either park, I would eschew the one day hopper option. If everyone is old enough and brave enough to do the coasters and water rides at IOA, there's more than enough stuff at IOA for an entire day, and getting access to the Universal Studios rides without enough time to do everything would probably be more frustrating than fun. Given that you're visiting on a Saturday, you'll be pressed for time at IOA as it is.

rawisericho

Harry Potter & the Forbidden Journey is the best theme park ride on the planet. That said, Diagon Alley is a better done land than Hogsmeade is. I personally have more fun on the Studios side (MIB, Mummy, Gringotts, ET, Terminator, Transformers) but Forbidden Journey and Spider-Man are two of my favorite rides. Kong is incredibly disappointing.

JoeCamel

Harry Potter & the Forbidden Journey is the best theme park ride on the planet. That said, Diagon Alley is a better done land than Hogsmeade is. I personally have more fun on the Studios side (MIB, Mummy, Gringotts, ET, Terminator, Transformers) but Forbidden Journey and Spider-Man are two of my favorite rides. Kong is incredibly disappointing.
Agree with everything except the last, Kong is what was designed, if your expectations are correct and you take in the whole experience it is a great family ride IMO.

Casper Gutman

I actually prefer the Studios as well - Diagon is, quite simply, the best theme park land in Orlando, and I much prefer Gringotts to FJ (of course, Hogwarts Express is my favorite HP ride.) The Studios also has Springfield and an overall ambiance I enjoy.

That said, IOA probably has a better overall collection of lands, and Spidey remains the best ride at Uni and one of the top four in Orlando. Cat in the Hat is great dark ride fun as well.

Basically, if you don't want to do big ol' coasters or get soaking wet, you might want to avoid IOA. If you want a greater variety of rides and are adverse to SCREENZZZ, you might want to avoid the Studios.

dennis-in-ct

We bought a one day hopper so we could experience the Hogwarts train ride and I feel we were able to accomplish a lot. Get there at opening and stay to close. You might be able to cover close to everything in one day. Granted you will rush but you will have a blast !

UpAllNight

I was thinking about this earlier and didn't think it warranted its own thread and it's kind of relevant here...

I think Universal Studios is currently the worst theme park in Orlando, which is a massive turn around for me to how I viewed it a few years back. I still think Islands of Adventure is arguably the best, depending on my mood on the day. The balance of the park feels fundamentally wrong at the moment, the left side is too simulator heavy, even though I enjoy most of them individually...and there's nothing of interest on the whole right hand side other than, more simulator/ 3D rides. I've since found out today ET will be closed on my trip too, to add to Disaster and Twister which have closed since my last visit. I'm struggling to get excited for the park, despite it being home to 3 of my top 25 rides in The Mummy, Transformers and Gringotts.

Someone help me here...I really want to refind my love for this park.

JoeCamel

I was thinking about this earlier and didn't think it warranted its own thread and it's kind of relevant here...

I think Universal Studios is currently the worst theme park in Orlando, which is a massive turn around for me to how I viewed it a few years back. I still think Islands of Adventure is arguably the best, depending on my mood on the day. The balance of the park feels fundamentally wrong at the moment, the left side is too simulator heavy, even though I enjoy most of them individually...and there's nothing of interest on the whole right hand side other than, more simulator/ 3D rides. I've since found out today ET will be closed on my trip too, to add to Disaster and Twister which have closed since my last visit. I'm struggling to get excited for the park, despite it being home to 3 of my top 25 rides in The Mummy, Transformers and Gringotts.

Someone help me here...I really want to refind my love for this park.
I guess you don't like MiB or Diagon alley and don't do Mummy? Its not all about rides, there is a ton of things to just slow down and enjoy

UpAllNight

I guess you don't like MiB or Diagon alley and don't do Mummy?

I've listed 2 of the 3 in my highlights. The rest of the park feels off to me at the moment, despite how awesome those are. It's similar to how I feel about Disney Studios. There's some highlights that will always keep me coming back, but I find myself using them to justify the visit rather than feeling like the overall place warrants my attention, like Islands, AK and MK make me feel.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom