Autonomous Cars at Disney World..

Cosmic Commando

They buried the lead...
"Missing from these plans are the parties most people mention when they think self-driving cars: Uber, Lyft, Google, and the rest of the private sector. While Orlando and its partners hope to engage the private sector eventually, none of those companies are signed on right now.

Even the theme parks aren't officially listed as partners in Orlando's proposal, although the city has plans to include all the major names."

This sounds very blue sky.

21stamps

Original Poster
They buried the lead...
"Missing from these plans are the parties most people mention when they think self-driving cars: Uber, Lyft, Google, and the rest of the private sector. While Orlando and its partners hope to engage the private sector eventually, none of those companies are signed on right now.

Even the theme parks aren't officially listed as partners in Orlando's proposal, although the city has plans to include all the major names."

This sounds very blue sky.

It's extremely vague.. I actually googled it after reading the article, everything else is vague as well.lol

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
How does an autonomous car react to I-4 during rush hour? What does it do at a parking lot toll booth? Once I know the answer to those, I can evaluate whether or not they'd be appropriate in Orlando...

Creathir

Autonomous cars are coming.

I'm not sure if Disney would get into the "risk lawsuit so we can have autonomous taxis" game by testing the technology on their property, but eventually customers will be driving their own autonomous cars there.

Heck, a Tesla can lane drive itself up and down World Drive with no issues whatsoever today.

Within 5 years this technology will be in vehicles, regardless of what Disney does or thinks.

21stamps

Original Poster
Autonomous cars are coming.

I'm not sure if Disney would get into the "risk lawsuit so we can have autonomous taxis" game by testing the technology on their property, but eventually customers will be driving their own autonomous cars there.

Heck, a Tesla can lane drive itself up and down World Drive with no issues whatsoever today.

Within 5 years this technology will be in vehicles, regardless of what Disney does or thinks.

The technology is there.. car manufacturers are just easing us in. The car I have now adjusts itself while using cruise control, will stop itself if a human walk in front of me, will stop itself if I'm about to wreck (only below certain speeds), will jerk the wheel when I cross a line, and will park itself - parallel or perpendicular. I've only used the parking feature few times, but the first time I admit that it was a little nerve wrecking. Plus, I like to pride myself in being good at these things ;)

But, I enjoy driving, I don't think that I want my car completely driving itself.
The Tesla driver death is one of the main reasons why.. it's a computer, not a human..,humans, and their mistakes, are also a reason for the argument of autonomous vehicles.. i just think we need more time with the autonomous features that we already have, before we go to 100% car control.

Creathir

The technology is there.. car manufacturers are just easing us in. The car I have now adjusts itself while using cruise control, will stop itself if a human walk in front of me, will stop itself if I'm about to wreck (only below certain speeds), will jerk the wheel when I cross a line, and will park itself - parallel or perpendicular. I've only used the parking feature few times, but the first time I admit that it was a little nerve wrecking. Plus, I like to pride myself in being good at these things ;)

But, I enjoy driving, I don't think that I want my car completely driving itself.
The Tesla driver death is one of the main reasons why.. it's a computer, not a human..,humans, and their mistakes, are also a reason for the argument of autonomous vehicles.. i just think we need more time with the autonomous features that we already have, before we go to 100% car control.
Let's be fair to Tesla, that guy was being an idiot.

That car is NOT 100% autonomous, but he was treating it like it was.

When this is eventually rolled out, driving gets hundreds of times safer than it is today.

Computers can monitor much more than we can.

21stamps

Original Poster
Let's be fair to Tesla, that guy was being an idiot.

That car is NOT 100% autonomous, but he was treating it like it was.

When this is eventually rolled out, driving gets hundreds of times safer than it is today.

Computers can monitor much more than we can.

Yes, but it didn't recognize a white truck. Will we have to discontinue white and silver cars?
That's the kind of things that scare me.. those errors.

But on the other hand, like I said, there are plenty of reasons why it will also be more safe.

In my perfect world- everyone will change over to the vehicles with all of the new safety features/technology before fully autonomous gets rolled out.

seascape

In the future owning a car will be a foolish investment. Driverless cars used efficiently will cost much less to operate than owned cars. Cars depreciate based on age and mileage. A selfdriving car can be used constantly and with computers assigning different cars to different assignments constantly updating based on the latest requests the wait would be minimal.

Owning a car on the other hand requires the cost of the car, the fuel, maintenance and insurances. It also involves the added risk of an accident exceeding you liability limits and thus the need for an umbrella insurance policy. Having a selfdriving car owned by uber or domeone else completely eliminates your risk.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The unpleasant detail about autonomous cars is they are programmed to follow traffic law no matter what so in the event of a wrong way vehicle the autonomous car will attempt to brake but it will not swerve to avoid as that might cause an accident.

It will kill YOU but thats ok because legally the accident is the wrong way vehicles fault. Not the automakers fault

Remember kiddies this code will be written to protect the automaker not the occupants.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
In the future owning a car will be a foolish investment. Driverless cars used efficiently will cost much less to operate than owned cars. Cars depreciate based on age and mileage. A selfdriving car can be used constantly and with computers assigning different cars to different assignments constantly updating based on the latest requests the wait would be minimal.

Owning a car on the other hand requires the cost of the car, the fuel, maintenance and insurances. It also involves the added risk of an accident exceeding you liability limits and thus the need for an umbrella insurance policy. Having a selfdriving car owned by uber or domeone else completely eliminates your risk.

Nope it does not you will still bear liability just not all of it. Here is an example thats taught in insurance underwriting classes

Guy brings car to mechanic, mechaninc finds that brakes are unsafe, in the meantime guy goes to bar gets hammered then goes to pick up car refuses to repair car, on way home brakes fail guy goes through guardrail and hits phone booth.

Q who is responsible for liability in accdent. No its not who you think click spoiler for answer

Its the phone company because phone booth is in wrong place on map!!!!

With highway dept as secondary because guardrail failed

Creathir

Yes, but it didn't recognize a white truck. Will we have to discontinue white and silver cars?

But on the other hand, like I said, there are plenty of reasons why it will also be more safe.

In my perfect world- everyone will change over to the vehicles with all of the new safety features/technology before fully autonomous gets rolled out.
It wasn't designed to then.

By the way, they released an update a few months later and that incident cannot happen anymore.

Would you expect your car to be able to float down and toodle around a river? Of course not!

Things need to be used as intended.

He was not doing so.

seascape

Nope it does not you will still bear liability just not all of it. Here is an example thats taught in insurance underwriting classes

Guy brings car to mechanic, mechaninc finds that brakes are unsafe, in the meantime guy goes to bar gets hammered then goes to pick up car refuses to repair car, on way home brakes fail guy goes through guardrail and hits phone booth.

Q who is responsible for liability in accdent. No its not who you think click spoiler for answer

Its the phone company because phone booth is in wrong place on map!!!!

With highway dept as secondary because guardrail failed
You mised my point. The car is owned by uber not you. The owner of the car is liable. Someone paying for a ride is not.

CJR

I'm personally indifferent right now on the subject of self driving cars, but I do like that city leaders are trying to think about what's ahead, we need more leadership like that. With Orlando spending so much money of the next decade on infrastructure, it makes sense to think about autonomous cars, since in the early 2020's they will most likely be on Florida roads more frequently.

On Disney's end of things, I'm sure executives are salivating at the idea of not having to pay for bus drivers. I'm sure that's a long way off though, for liability reasons.

Laketravis

In the future owning a car will be a foolish investment.....

Owning a car has always been a foolish "investment".

The unpleasant detail about autonomous cars is they are programmed to follow traffic law no matter what so in the event of a wrong way vehicle the autonomous car will attempt to brake but it will not swerve to avoid as that might cause an accident..

Ultimately the concept will involve vehicles communicating with each other so they are not only aware of what they are doing but also what other vehicles are doing. That would help to mitigate conditions such as confusing a white vehicle for the horizon or another vehicle going the wrong way towards you in your lane.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
You mised my point. The car is owned by uber not you. The owner of the car is liable. Someone paying for a ride is not.

Look up the concept of agency, As it relates to liability.

Because since you hired Uber or whoever they are acting as your 'agent' in providing transportation since that vehicle is assigned to you exclusively during that time.

This is different than using a cab/uber or mass transit where the liability does remain with the operator of the service

Lawyers are going to have to create a whole new field of law to properly deal with robots

Asimov's three laws would be a good start here

1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
  2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
  3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws.

Last edited:

rogerrabbitfan9

This proposal has very little to do with any of the theme parks in the area.

The coolest thing about Orlando's proposal is SunTrax which is a testing facility the Turnpike wants to build near Lakeland. The facility would have all the tools needed to test self driving cars and robots. Even once this all becomes a "solved problem" the facility could easily pivot into becoming a major proving ground for autonomous systems.

tissandtully

How does an autonomous car react to I-4 during rush hour? What does it do at a parking lot toll booth? Once I know the answer to those, I can evaluate whether or not they'd be appropriate in Orlando...
Autonomous cars can manage I-4 better than humans. It may even end the gridlock.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

That kind of thing can be corrected.

This is the most important thing to remember about autonomous cars: They will never drive perfectly. Their purpose is to drive better than humans.

Humans get into a lot of accidents. Accidents cause death, and injury, and property damage. Autonomous cars will cause accidents, but less accidents. They will cause deaths, and injury, and damage... but a lot less. And the accidents will be less severe because they will be attempting to alleviate the worst of the collision much more quickly than a human can, e.g., they'll brake or swerve a lot sooner.

If we hold autonomous cars to the standard of perfection, they will never be used and death and injury from human drivers will continue to increase.

On that incident in which the autopilot... and the driver... didn't react:

The unpleasant detail about autonomous cars is they are programmed to follow traffic law no matter what so in the event of a wrong way vehicle the autonomous car will attempt to brake but it will not swerve to avoid as that might cause an accident.

Yeah, that's not true at all. I've seen videos of autonomous cars swerving into the shoulder of a road to avoid an accident. It's against the law to drive in the shoulder.

Here's what autonomous cars can do...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom