News World Drive Magic Kingdom Intersection Re-Design

Figment2005

What an absolute mess all of this road construction was! Just a fair warning, be careful and give yourself time to travel around the property. I know my way around but I did get turned around a few times. I'm not complaining only saying to be careful. I'm all for the improvements. (And I'm just a tad annoyed with myself that I didn't educate myself first on all of the road construction going on, it was a bit of a shock ... lol)
The work being done near the toll plaza really isn't having much of an impact on traffic patterns yet. Maybe once the flyovers start being built, but right now nobody should expect any more delay than usual.

Kman101

The work being done near the toll plaza really isn't having much of an impact on traffic patterns yet. Maybe once the flyovers start being built, but right now nobody should expect any more delay than usual.

Did I say that? I was just saying to be aware :) I wasn't. That's all. I wasn't implying anything. There's also a bit more work being done than just what you listed. It does affect driving around property. You realize you should be aware and slow down for construction workers? Entering the property they've blocked off going under the sign so I nearly missed turning into the property. I wasn't at all complaining like you probably took it for whatever reason.

Figment2005

Did I say that? I was just saying to be aware :) I wasn't. That's all. I wasn't implying anything. There's also a bit more work being done than just what you listed. It does affect driving around property. You realize you should be aware and slow down for construction workers? Entering the property they've blocked off going under the sign so I nearly missed turning into the property. I wasn't at all complaining like you probably took it for whatever reason.
I wasn't trying to prove you wrong or anything, and I was just talking about the toll plaza area. I drive through it every day to get to and from work and I have never had any issues. Sorry if I sounded like I was contradicting you, I was just trying to add more information.

Kman101

I wasn't trying to prove you wrong or anything, and I was just talking about the toll plaza area. I drive through it every day to get to and from work and I have never had any issues. Sorry if I sounded like I was contradicting you, I was just trying to add more information.

It's OK. I'm sorry as well for taking it the wrong way :( I do appreciate the information. I don't drive it daily like you do but I just really had no idea all of what was going on so it was just a shock and I should have been more aware. I got myself thrown off so many times because I am fairly familiar having driven around property so often so I was more mad at myself. I love seeing all of the work going on!

EDIT: And you are correct, there were no real delays so it technically doesn't impact much. No worries on that one. Wasn't trying to imply that :/

Figment2005

It's OK. I'm sorry as well for taking it the wrong way :( I do appreciate the information. I don't drive it daily like you do but I just really had no idea all of what was going on so it was just a shock and I should have been more aware. I got myself thrown off so many times because I am fairly familiar having driven around property so often so I was more mad at myself. I love seeing all of the work going on!
They are really just working on the infrastructure ( drainage, etc) so I would think it would be a few more months before they start closing lanes for any extended period of time. Once the flyovers start going in that is when I would expect detours and heavy lane closures to start happening.

Kman101

They are really just working on the infrastructure ( drainage, etc) so I would think it would be a few more months before they start closing lanes for any extended period of time. Once the flyovers start going in that is when I would expect detours and heavy lane closures to start happening.

Good to know. I'm going to be back in the area in May, anything of note?

Figment2005

As promised I have a few updates on the construction. A. If you remember the road sign that was taken out by an SUV a while back, it is now, as of this morning, back in place. B. There has been a lane shift on the north bound lanes. It's been reduced to 2 lanes, but is now further left on new asphalt. I will update on the south bound lanes later on today.

*update*
South bound lanes are not affected yet. Still the normal traffic pattern.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I was reading the contractor documentation for this project and ran across this section...

"The Contractor shall remove, demolish and dispose of the Bugs Life billboard/sign and the Mission Space billboard/sign. The graphics and attachments on both billboards/sign shall be required to be demolished beyond recognition as being Disney-related, prior to being disposed of offsite. The Contractor shall coordinate with Disney in advance of any removal or demolition activities for the removal of the hazardous materials at the Bug’s Life Sign. The Owner’s Representative shall be in attendance during the demolition and destruction activities, and will photograph and video the removal of the signs and the destruction of the Disney related graphics and attachments beyond recognition by the Contractor. The billboards/signs include electric power which shall be disconnected by the Contractor only upon approval by the Owner’s Representative. The Contractor shall remove the billboards/signs from the roadway in one piece, and transport them immediately to an approved location within 5 miles of their location to a location that is out of view of the public, and be destroyed. One of the Contractor’s temporary laydown yards may be utilized for temporary storage and for destruction. The Contractor shall cover the billboards/signs while they are at the Contractor’s temporary laydown yard, and shall secure the billboards/signs to prevent unauthorized removal in whole or in part. The Contractor shall destroy the Disney-related graphics and attachments, and the remainder of the billboards/signs graphics as soon as possible. The Contractor shall dispose of the demolished and destroyed billboards/signs immediately upon authorization by the Owner’s Representative."

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No
I was reading the contractor documentation for this project and ran across this section...

"The Contractor shall remove, demolish and dispose of the Bugs Life billboard/sign and the Mission Space billboard/sign. The graphics and attachments on both billboards/sign shall be required to be demolished beyond recognition as being Disney-related, prior to being disposed of offsite. The Contractor shall coordinate with Disney in advance of any removal or demolition activities for the removal of the hazardous materials at the Bug’s Life Sign. The Owner’s Representative shall be in attendance during the demolition and destruction activities, and will photograph and video the removal of the signs and the destruction of the Disney related graphics and attachments beyond recognition by the Contractor. The billboards/signs include electric power which shall be disconnected by the Contractor only upon approval by the Owner’s Representative. The Contractor shall remove the billboards/signs from the roadway in one piece, and transport them immediately to an approved location within 5 miles of their location to a location that is out of view of the public, and be destroyed. One of the Contractor’s temporary laydown yards may be utilized for temporary storage and for destruction. The Contractor shall cover the billboards/signs while they are at the Contractor’s temporary laydown yard, and shall secure the billboards/signs to prevent unauthorized removal in whole or in part. The Contractor shall destroy the Disney-related graphics and attachments, and the remainder of the billboards/signs graphics as soon as possible. The Contractor shall dispose of the demolished and destroyed billboards/signs immediately upon authorization by the Owner’s Representative."

So what you are saying is that I probably will not be seeing a giant Bug's Life sign pop up on Ebay anytime soon.

I would love to see the size of the shredder that they use to destroy the sign "beyond recognition"!!!;)

yellowb

"The Contractor shall coordinate with Disney in advance of any removal or demolition activities for the removal of the hazardous materials at the Bug’s Life Sign. "

Haha. Hazardous materials... I knew there was more coming out of the stink bug than steam. :)

roj2323

Hazardous material huh? What was spraying out of the stink bug's butt?
Probably asbestos in the concrete piers and wrapped around the steam pipes. Asbestos was used a lot in the past as a strengthener for concrete. It was the equivalent of fiber reinforcement of today. Almost all of Epcot's concrete has asbestos in it for example which is why nearly all of it that you would regularly touch is painted and why it costs $1500 a hole to the department's requesting new holes to be drilled for rope / chain stanchions.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Probably asbestos in the concrete piers and wrapped around the steam pipes. Asbestos was used a lot in the past as a strengthener for concrete. It was the equivalent of fiber reinforcement of today. Almost all of Epcot's concrete has asbestos in it for example which is why nearly all of it that you would regularly touch is painted and why it costs $1500 a hole to the department's requesting new holes to be drilled for rope / chain stanchions.

No, it is the fluid used to generate the fog...

"The liquid used to make fog for the Bugs Life billboard, is considered hazardous material and the Contractor shall coordinate with Disney for them to remove the container of hazardous material and to drain the reservoir before the Contractor removes the sign or begins demolition of the billboard sign."

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Wednesday, April 26. The first pilings for the World Drive overpass at the Magic Kingdom toll plaza have been driven into the ground. This photo is north of the toll plaza and across the road (northeast) from the Speedway gas station. The Epcot monorail is in the background. Photo was taken upon exiting the Magic Kingdom parking lot.

IMG_9511.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom