Is there a reason why Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin is so filthy?

Captain Barbossa

Although, Disney must clean it up I don't think that the food got there by itself. Some thoughtful guest decided to either just drop it there or accidentally dropped it and then just decided that it was someone elses job to clean it up. My theory about the queue generally is that the opening is in a spot that promotes dirt, etc. (everything but food) to just blow in there with airflow. Their is no other logical explanation why that queue is always dirty looking when the rest are not. As for the mold reported, I don't know how anyone has the time to notice that while killing aliens. I know I've never noticed any and I also think that many people really do not know what mold/mildew looks like compared to other things that might resemble it.
I'm not saying that it came out of nowhere, because it doesn't. People, unfortunately, think that it's ok to leave trash wherever they want.

pax_65

On my first visit to the Magic Kingdom (in 1992), my in-laws challenged me to find just ONE piece of litter anywhere in the park. I couldn't do it. As a rule I think the parks still look pretty good (a tribute to the cast members who keep the parks clean), and I would sadly agree that people are probably more likely to throw trash on the ground today vs 25 years ago. But still... this shows how far the parks have fallen in recent years. Finding trash in queues is not that uncommon anymore - it's not just Buzz.

Goofyernmost

I'm not saying that it came out of nowhere, because it doesn't. People, unfortunately, think that it's ok to leave trash wherever they want.
Well, that is the heavy chunks of stuff that has been described (not necessarily by you). I have seen the queue mess too, and that is why I have the theory that I do. I actually saw stuff, pieces of paper, napkins, mulch and sand blowing in the entrance. I don't know how it happens but I'm sure that someone with a knowledge of wind currents that develop around buildings can explain it. It has to have some unfortunate reason because you don't just not maintain one attraction and be pristine with most of the others. Makes no sense at all so I am going to give Disney pass on that one.

Incomudro

Well, that is the heavy chunks of stuff that has been described (not necessarily by you). I have seen the queue mess too, and that is why I have the theory that I do. I actually saw stuff, pieces of paper, napkins, mulch and sand blowing in the entrance. I don't know how it happens but I'm sure that someone with a knowledge of wind currents that develop around buildings can explain it. It has to have some unfortunate reason because you don't just not maintain one attraction and be pristine with most of the others. Makes no sense at all so I am going to give Disney pass on that one.

I believe that there is some merit to your theory about the entranceway being one that attracts debris due to wind currents around it.
(In addition to the slobs.)
My front doorway for instance, is a magnet for leaves.
I can remove every leaf in sight, but there's some type of vortex near the entranceway that funnels them and deposits them at my front door.

roj2323

On my first visit to the Magic Kingdom (in 1992), my in-laws challenged me to find just ONE piece of litter anywhere in the park. I couldn't do it. As a rule I think the parks still look pretty good (a tribute to the cast members who keep the parks clean), and I would sadly agree that people are probably more likely to throw trash on the ground today vs 25 years ago. But still... this shows how far the parks have fallen in recent years. Finding trash in queues is not that uncommon anymore - it's not just Buzz.
Keep in mind park attendance has grown by at least 25% since that time and possibly more. Keeping up with that growth in attendance is difficult in the best of circumstances but when it's in a park that largely wasn't designed to handle crowd levels of the magnitude it now sees on a daily basis the problem only gets worse.

Tom Morrow

Regarding attractions CMs cleaning their attractions... often they only have just enough people to staff the attraction's positions. If there are extra people on hand, the attraction's leadership will ask if people want to leave early. The result is there are often no extra CMs to actually clean the attraction and queues. Or a random CM might get a quick 15 minute assignment to sweep the queue, but whether or not they do it is another story.

HonorableMention

Finding trash in queues is not that uncommon anymore - it's not just Buzz.
I didn't see a lot of dirty queues during my last trip but I was shocked at how dirty the Soarin' queue was. There were food and drink stains on the carpet, and what appeared to be the only trash can in line was overflowing, with bottles and food being stacked on and around it.

I feel like this shouldn't be that big of an issue at WDW of all places.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

Its the guests are less civic minded.

Tom Morrow

The dirty queues are really a combination of several things:

1. Significantly higher attendance numbers than when the mid-90's and earlier. That, plus Fastpass+ ensures the queues are not only always full, but slower moving than the old days. A fully loaded queue is much harder to clean.
2. Disney not wanting to staff CMs to regularly go through the queue and clean it.
3. Guests being more disrespectful than in the past. This, however, isn't entirely a society decline thing as it is a snowball effect - people are more likely to litter and leave trash if they already see other trash.

Sonconato

It’s simple…GUESTS. The only reason any ride, garden or plaza becomes filthy is because of the lazy, careless, trashy GUESTS that lack respect and feel entitled to throw garbage wherever they choose. The only time it’s caused by Disney is when they allow trash containers to overflow, which certainly also seems to be the case lately because there aren’t enough CMs. I have yet to see a CM throw trash on the ground. We often speak to CMs that would love to have more hours to help pay bills but Disney won’t budge, although there’s a need.

Yert3

Original Poster
IMG_0506.JPG
IMG_0507.JPG
View attachment 200164 View attachment 200165
It’s simple…GUESTS. The only reason any ride, garden or plaza becomes filthy is because of the lazy, careless, trashy GUESTS that lack respect and feel entitled to throw garbage wherever they choose. The only time it’s caused by Disney is when they allow trash containers to overflow, which certainly also seems to be the case lately because there aren’t enough CMs. I have yet to see a CM throw trash on the ground. We often speak to CMs that would love to have more hours to help pay bills but Disney won’t budge, although there’s a need.
I get that. But I'm also talking about how the attraction itself looks likes it's never been washed. Here is a comparison photo between BLSS and the much cleaner BLAB at Disneyland

MerlinTheGoat

Its the guests are less civic minded.
That only covers a relatively small fraction of the problem honestly, and not really related to the more serious problems with this ride in particular. There are plenty of instances where rides and buildings receive damage that were not caused by guests, such as the case with the mold and grime buildup in Buzz. The mold and grime caking the walls in Buzz has been there for years. It was initially caused by a roof leak that was not addressed and allowed to worsen. As a result, the roof leaked and this caused severe drywall damage, moisture overtook the building and mold/mildew grew on all the surfaces (a lot of which glows and shows up even more with the black lights). This has definitely gotten worse with their more recent attempt at pinching pennies regarding climate control as well (which helps to keep moisture and mold growth under control). The roof was finally repaired finally, they have yet to clean up and repair the mold damage on the interior. So the ride remains a disgusting mess, and guests have no fault in this.

There are plenty of other examples of this sort of neglect-
- The smell in the monorails (this is caused by the A/C not being cleaned in years) and the other deterioration seen outside of guest reach.
- Slimy rubber padding on Splash Mountain's boats (cast only needs to wipe these surfaces in third shift to prevent this, too often ignored)
- Black mold often caked on the ceilings around air vents (this can be seen in the queue for Small World in particular

But even with trash caused by guests, it should be expected for Disney to clean up these messes at least overnight before the park opens the next day. At one point they would actively seek out these sorts of messes during park hours and address them pro-actively. I have come across instances where trash has remained uncollected over the course of multiple days. It is very well known and discussed how the standards of maintenance and cleanliness has dropped immensely since the 90s and before.

Last edited:

thomas998

Could the problem be a lack of trash cans? I know some rides have easily accessible trash cans for people in line while others have none... I can't recall see any once you get to the inside part of the Buzz queue.... it could be as simple as Disney needing to put a trash can or two inside the queue where people can put trash themselves... As for the black lights, I think all they are going to do is make it easier to see the nasty stuff, I don't think it will actually make it nasty stuff appear.... In fact if you want to really gross yourself out get a little portable blacklight and whenever you go to a hotel use it to look around for what was left by the previous visitors; word of warning it is a bit like watching a documentary on making hot dogs where you find it hard to eat hot dogs afterwards - you'll find it hard to ever get in a hotel bed.

Mark Dunne

In the past few years, I've noticed (and I've seen that a lot of you on here have as well) that Buzz is totally gross. Trash in the queue, grime and mold in the attraction, etc. the use of black lights certainly does not help. Over the last serval years, I've seen a drastic improvement over show upkeep in almost all attractions except for this singular one (most noticeably Splash Mountain, It's a Small World, and Tiki Room) So what is keeping this attraction from getting some upkeep?
KIDS LOL

KraftServices

I've never noticed the queue being gross, but good god do the ride vehicles need a good refurb. I like the ride, but the vehicles are in a really embarrassing state.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom