Rumor Bye Bye (Tiki) Birdies?

Kman101

CBJ is a bit more entertaining of a show. I love the Tiki Birds but I prefer the CBJ. I saw in my audience the guests just loving the humor and laughing (maybe AT it, but still ... they were enjoying it and it got claps at the end, and btw, that show was half full but the Tiki Birds had a full audience that day in the show I attended). So I can see how it does better. It was just one show but I imagine the humor and songs are a bit more entertaining from the Bears than a bunch of birds singing.

MuteSuperstar

I imagine the humor and songs are a bit more entertaining from the Bears than a bunch of birds singing.

Especially for kids. Country music and talking Bears a lot more relatable and typically mainstream classic Disney. Not that it's high art but the Tiki Room is probably more appreciated/enjoyed by people who have a certain level of sophistication and knowledge about older pop culture (ie us angry old people) :).

And (of course this premise is assuming it's being eyed for...something) if the only way the attraction gets a reprieve is that Moana must be incorporated somehow, I don't see how it could be so hard to come up with something that would work and entertain kids and adults, I mean you have the Rock, the Hamilton guy and singing anthropomorphic multicultural birds to work with. I haven't seen the movie yet, but how about she finds this oasis of singing birds, they sing her some of the classic songs, and then along the way she teaches them a song or 2 from the movie in a humorous and entertaining fashion. With some new animatronics and effects of course. Bada bing, bada boom, now go get your citrus swirl and wish it was still in the big plastic goblet instead of precariously piled atop a dixie cup.

Last edited:

999th Happy Haunt

While CBJ is entertaining and prettt funny, I still have to give it to Tiki for one reason: atmosphere.

You are not in the same place you were when you enter that room. From the windows to the decorations, to the beating of drums filling the air, you really do feel like you were just transported to a island in the South Pacific. It's a nice place to just sit back and relax. CBJ you're just in a wooden theater.

Phil12

Can I also point out something ironic? Exclusive creative control, revenue based off of licensing, exclusive operations of park attractions- does that sound familiar to anyone?

Didn't your beloved Bob just open a park with those exact same perimeters? Maybe you should also take swipes at the "unethical" and "unsavory" business practices employeed by the Walt Disney Company today in parks all over the world. Hong Kong would love some help.

You've gone so far to paint this negatively that you lost connection with the complexities of time, history, and context.

Whatever!
You forgot one very important factor. Walt actually defrauded shareholders and was quick to settle the lawsuit before his entire empire came crashing down. Why? Because Walt knew he was guilty (and so did Roy) and they pulled every trick in the book to avoid going to court so that the episode would not go public and ruin Walt's reputation. TWDC and its shareholders had to protect Walt in order to protect their own interests and investment. Had the lawsuit actually gone to court, the backlash and public embarrassment would have destroyed Walt and the company. It was far better for both to settle the matter (sweep it under the rug as much as possible) and let Walt off the hook. Of course no one knew at the time of the settlement that Walt was close to death. However, as I previously mentioned, even Roy E. Disney thought the company was far too generous in the settlement.

Bob's perimeters directly benefit the shareholders. As far as we know Bob has not created a private company within the structure of the public company and hired away talent to enrich himself and his family at the expense of shareholders. But if you have any evidence that supports that scenario, I'm all ears.

Casper Gutman

To be blunt, those in charge are idiots if they think we'll spend more just because we aren't waiting 85 minutes for Splash Mountain. Sorry but that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard and I believe they really do believe that theory. It makes me want to spend LESS.

What is truly astounding is the fact that they don't understand that for this to have ANY chance of working, the stores need to become attractions. You need to have stores like Diagon, with each corner packed with details and AAs, the shelves full of thematically appropriate items unique to that particular store. You need stores that tempt people inside and keep them looking around even if they had no intention of shopping - this has been store design 101 since Victor Gruen in the '40s! The stores at WDW are, in general, awful. They are boring spaces packed with the same goods you find in any other WDW store. Why execs feel they would hold guests attention is baffling.

It really seems like WDW management is genuinely too foolish to completely understand their own awful ideas!!!

Last edited:

Casper Gutman

You forgot one very important factor. Walt actually defrauded shareholders and was quick to settle the lawsuit before his entire empire came crashing down. Why? Because Walt knew he was guilty (and so did Roy) and they pulled every trick in the book to avoid going to court so that the episode would not go public and ruin Walt's reputation. TWDC and its shareholders had to protect Walt in order to protect their own interests and investment. Had the lawsuit actually gone to court, the backlash and public embarrassment would have destroyed Walt and the company. It was far better for both to settle the matter (sweep it under the rug as much as possible) and let Walt off the hook. Of course no one knew at the time of the settlement that Walt was close to death. However, as I previously mentioned, even Roy E. Disney thought the company was far too generous in the settlement.

Bob's perimeters directly benefit the shareholders. As far as we know Bob has not created a private company within the structure of the public company and hired away talent to enrich himself and his family at the expense of shareholders. But if you have any evidence that supports that scenario, I'm all ears.

I don't think anyone here is under any illusion that Walt was a saint - he was a deeply flawed man on many levels who also happened to be a genius who profoundly altered American culture. I have no idea what you are trying to prove here.

By the way - the whole idea that a company's ONLY responsibility is to the shareholders is a new one that emerged largely in the 70s. Before then, companies understood their responsibilities in much broader terms (even if they very often failed to live up to them). Saying Iger benefits the shareholders as though it is a meaningful defense is really odd, since he does so while neglecting employees, customers, his company's heritage, and (perhaps most importantly) the long-term health of the corporation of which he is meant to be the steward.

Are we really arguing Iger is superior in any meaningful way to Disney?

Phil12

I read all about that stuff that happened after Walt's death and frankly I don't care. I don't care if Walt took every nickle he could from the wonderful thing he created. Look how much that his replacements have taken from the stockholders, or don't you think that those gigantic bonuses affect how much return stockholders get. They are getting richer then Walt ever dreamed of just riding in on his massive coattails. You cannot steal from yourself and any income that the Disney Company managed to come up with was rightfully his. Yet, here you are trying to make me be upset because he found a way to protect some of his family and himself from the greed of the outside? Don't think that's going to happen. Find another cause, like the crap head Iger building up his own personal wealth before the whole company implodes from many of his bad decisions.

The feud between Roy and Walt was much less about unethical business practices and much more about his oft dealings in things that seem irresponsible. Again, The Disney Company was Walt Disney's company. He has given million of people many years of enjoyment of his imagination. If anyone thinks that his protecting his income is bad, really needs to think about who was upset by his moves. Was it possible those that were not going to be able to get there nasty mitts on more of Walt's generated income?

You don't have to like Walt Disney, but, to not acknowledge that were it not for him and him alone, none of what we enjoy now would even exist. As far as I'm concerned he didn't get to personally gain financially anywhere near the degree that he deserved. Take you hate campaign to another location please.
That's fine with me. You, like many others, look at this situation from an emotional level. I suppose it goes part and parcel with the idea that tales of fantasy are more popular if the good guys live happily ever after. Your hatred of reality, history and common sense is revealing.

pax_65

What is truly astounding is the fact that they don't understand that for this to have ANY chance of working, the stores need to become attractions. You need to have stores like Diagon, with each corner packed with details and AAs, the shelves full of thematically appropriate items unique to that particular store. You need stores that tempt people inside and keep them looking around even if they had no intention of shopping - this has been store design 101 since Victor Gruen in the '40s! The stores at WDW are, in general, awful. They are boring spaces packed with the same goods you kind find in any other WDW store. Why execs feel they would hold guests attention is baffling.

I've been saying this for years now. Maybe a decade or so ago, you'd find very specific merchandise in stores in the parks - and some pretty cool resort-specific merchandise at each resort. Going into the store added to the overall theme of where you were, and I used to enjoy buying unique stuff from unusual places. Somewhere along the line everything became one big Disney store (with an exception here and there, such as some stores in World Showcase). At this point once I walk through a store or two to see what they're selling I usually don't shop at all for my entire trip unless there's something specific I need.

tirian

I've been saying this for years now. Maybe a decade or so ago, you'd find very specific merchandise in stores in the parks - and some pretty cool resort-specific merchandise at each resort. Going into the store added to the overall theme of where you were, and I used to enjoy buying unique stuff from unusual places. Somewhere along the line everything became one big Disney store (with an exception here and there, such as some stores in World Showcase). At this point once I walk through a store or two to see what they're selling I usually don't shop at all for my entire trip unless there's something specific I need.
I can't remember the last time I bought Disney merch at WDW or DL. My money goes to World Showcase.

GiveMeTheMusic

This, to me, is the oddest piece of info on this thread. I'm pretty surprised the CBJ pulls "good guest satisfaction scores" if the Tiki Room does not. I'm not saying that one attraction is clearly superior to the other (I prefer the Tiki Room, but personal tastes and all) but they are very similar in scope and execution, no? What exactly would drive CBJ to be better received than the Tikis? Better chairs?

There is a big chunk of WDW guests who hail from the south or Midwest. CBJ plays directly to them and they adore it. It's one of the reasons it never really took off at DL the same way - the culture wasn't there to support it. In Florida, it is.

In TDL they just think it's hilarious because it's a caricature of American country culture.

Bolna

You're so right! Has anyone seen Disneyland's Tower of Terror recently? He thinks we'd fall for his information! Ha!
View attachment 199975

Oh...

Mission: BREAKOUT! is like physical embodiement of why people come to Spirited Threads. Could anyone have made that up?

Yes, or the Hogwarts Express. People were telling him that he lost his mind when he said that there would be aHarry Potter part at Universal Studios that would be connected by train to Islands of Adventure. Fun times!

IanDLBZF

There is a big chunk of WDW guests who hail from the south or Midwest. CBJ plays directly to them and they adore it. It's one of the reasons it never really took off at DL the same way - the culture wasn't there to support it. In Florida, it is.
And I can see why the got rid of CBJ at DLR to make way for Pooh... Cultural differences in the East Coast vs West Coast.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom