The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

donaldtoo

donaldtoo

I agree--they'd always check under hood for you, in addition to the other things. Miss those days. I'm lucky that hubs is good with cars and keeps on top of these things.

Good thing is that in MA, we have both options. So if you don't want to pump your own gas, there are still a number of full service stations around. But most of them don't do all the things (like check under the hood), like the service stations from years ago. You have to ask them to check the oil, etc., if that's what you want.

Anyway, the full service ones seem to still be doing a lot of business--I always see cars in and out of there. My guess is that more people now, probably choose the self serve, because maybe it's a bit cheaper. Again, it's nice to have options.

Off the top of my head, I can think of only 2 full-service stations around here, and they are both located in the well-to-do incorporated city suburb southwest of downtown Austin that our office is located in. :cyclops:

donaldtoo

That is too warm for me. I like 75 to 85....those are Hawaii temps, pretty much year round. But the humidity is too much for me. I want to move...hubby doesn't want to right now. So we sit, and I'm pretty unhappy at the moment. I'm sure the poor sleep, along with waking up with a raging headache, is probably the cause.

Sympathy like, Bets.
Hope things are starting to calm down more, by now, and you are feeling better.

donaldtoo

I think if you can exercise a little bit everyday, like just walk for 20 minutes, that boosts good cholesterol HDL. Try to eat more fiberous food like beans. Cut out your fats. If you need a little oil just use olive. Saute foods in veggie broth. I don't know where you live but you could try to find a doctor that also practices holistic (natural) techniques.

It's always fascinated me how we all have the same basic physiology, but, how different combinations of things, such as environment diet, exercise, etc., affect so many of us so differently sometimes. Obviously, things as simple as just consuming less and moving more are common sense, but, there are so many combinations of factors that affect different people's health so much of the time, including things like heredity.
If you're old enough, you've probably known people that were "healthy" as can be that had a heart attack, etc., or someone who drank and smoked a lot daily that lived into their 80's or 90's. Granted, the exceptions to the rule, but, fact nonetheless.
You just never know for sure, but, obviously, living as much of a proactively healthy life as possible is the best course. :)

ETA...
Our oldest DD, who is vegan, sees a more holistic doc that we are considering switching over to. :)

Last edited:

donaldtoo

Thanks. I'm not sure what tomorrow may bring. I'm keeping my head low, and sleeping with my Colt. We had a bunch of snow over the week-end. Today, back to 50. We are turning our clocks back for Disney I bet I go to bed early tonight. Oh, some good news...we got an invitation to go to Pandora, and get to try some new foods. I'm looking forward to that. It's Monday I'll post our first impressions.

Oh my! That means y'all were there today...awesome!!!!! :joyfull:
Looking forward to reading your impressions, Bets...!!! :)

donaldtoo

Thanks, I eat beans almost every day. I don't like beef. I do have turkey and chicken. But not every meal. And I love olive oil. My other Dr. went over this, after I told him it's a family history...he let me off. My other Dr. was a holistic practioner. He retired though and this lady said she is more aggressive with her treatments. I guess I may have to find another Dr. I eat a really good diet. I do like chocolate....but I eat hershey's ice cream topping. No fat in there. It has to be my gene's...brother died at 44 of heart disease, my dad had two bi passes. Sister , like me has high LDL's I don't really have anything planned for the last 10 years!;););)

Sure it is hereditary then. Your last GP sounds better. I would look for a new one too with an open mind. ;) Dark chocolate is the way to go. :hungry: Minimize the olive oil though. Remember that it is a fat also. Don't forget to take your Omega 3 supplements with Vitamin D. Also higher doses of Vitamin C are good for elasticity of arteries and reduced plaque build-up. Whew, ok this is a Disney forum!:banghead::banghead:
Health rant over. :oops:

I knew I should have read ahead a few posts. ;)

donaldtoo

I might end up being like you in that respect. Mine aren't in. Dentist said it's likely they won't come it. Which means I won't need them removed. :D

Sounds similar here.
I know I've posted this before, but, mine have never caused me enough misery to want to have them removed. I was having minor issues with a couple of them back in my early 20's, and my dentist suggested I have them all removed.
I said I'd get around to it at some point. He told me "Oh yes you will, 'cause early one mornin' you're gonna' wake up with them hurtin' so bad it's gonna' feel like someone slugged you in your jaws with a baseball bat, and you'll be beggin' to have 'em removed!"
Never happened.
I'm 54, so I pretty much doubt (knock on my wood head :oops: ;)) it ever will, at this point. :)

donaldtoo

From the Disney College Program Alumni Page.

Time for a Test!
C8qd3wbWsAYkLRM.jpg:large

What did you score?

14 things on that list I have never done before. :(
Well, at least I achieved a solid Mickey level...!!!!! :joyfull: ;) :)

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Glad you made it through OK. It was craziness. At least there isn't more rain in the forecast (until Thursday.:bawling:).

I know. :(

Everything here anyhow is very green, some trees are trying to bud but if you step into that pretty grass your sinking into mush at least 4 inches or so. Our Riverwalk is still under water.

I want to ride my Bike!

Gabe1

The costume stuff wasn't even interesting.:mad:I have a favorite costume pair of earrings from WOD(and a spare gotten on a later trip) that I wear quite often. Almost every trip the boys have purchased me something(mostly charms) from the costume department and even they couldn't find anything.:(

Since I was a baby I had real jewelry. It was a family thing long before I really had any grasp on real from costume. I have an allergy problem with metals. No matter what the quality I can't wear pierced earrings. That has become worse over the years.

Rings almost as bad, costume kinda eats through my skin. Silver and me seem to hate each other. The only costume jewelry I can get away with is a loose bracelet or a necklace worn for a few hours. I guess the upside is I have enough real jewelry (most of which lives in a safety deposit box cause it so isn't me) that I guess I'm not missing out on much. I have a two carat diamond ring that has been sitting in a safety deposit box for the better part of a decade save a couple of occasions. I always wanted a few Disney pieces but what I could wear was so out of whack price wise. Frustrating.

Gabe1

All but the square scooters. Our DD didn't take her cabbage patch dolls with her when she went to college and then moved on and got married. There are two shelves in my basement with those dolls.

I am so surprised about the scooters that nobody seems to have experienced in PE classes. Even my kids initially had these.

Dolls. I hated dolls. I was a Tomboy. My Mom was a depression era child. She always longed for dolls but never had any. It mostly skipped me and my Sis for whatever reason, it wasn't as if if my folks could not afford these for my Sis and me though my Sis did have an odd large collection of musical china spinning wind up dolls. (not her choice but bought for her by relatives and a collection was born and grew)

But my Mom and my daughter. Oy. From the time she was born for about 5 years my Mom bought for any occasion she could think of the expensive china dolls, the ones my Mom wanted as a child type. They sat on a raised shelf in my DD for many years. My DD had zero attachment to these and actually was disappointed in the gifts over the years. My Mom was living her childhood dreams through my DD. But my DD had a love of the American Girl Dolls. She LOVED them. She has likely 18 or so. She has their clothes, books, horses, desks, you name it she has it. Grandma.

My GodDaughter had the love of Cabbage Patch dolls in their height of love. She still has them. She left them with her Mom when she married. Now she lives with her husband and 2 kids back in Mom and Dads house (thanks to a extensive Disney DVC purchase before kids and pays for that vs a home for her family oy) but she and her two daughters have been reunited with her old Cabbage Patch Dolls. So there is a warped hope for your DD reuniting with her Cabbage Patch Dolls in the future. :rolleyes:

Gabe1

Same here. Love my iPhone.
Although, I got my first one back in about '11...a Crackberry ;) Torch.
I like having a phone, camera, internet, etc., all in the palm of my hand...! :)

Me too. I resisted a very long time. Frankly 'cause it was during 'our' recession and I had two kids in college. They smaesrt phones, we did not. We got ours the same month the 2nd kid graduated college. Priorities.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom