Comparisons To Expedition Everest Drop

Disney Stine

Try it! If you do decide to ride it, treat yourself by sitting in the front row and right before the backwards drop, you'll be able to have an incredible view which includes Hollywood Studios, EPCOT, and Disney Springs. That alone should be reason enough to ride it.

ppete1975

ITs not bad at all but there is a reason. Theming!! you are surrounded by mountains or darkness so the fear isn't the same as lets say six flags. Where all you see is track and trees sky and the ground. Think about it this way if you are on the second floor of your house in a bedroom is it scary? If you were at the same height sitting on a roller coaster on a thin piece of metal even at that short height its still fairly scary. ITs part of the fight flight natural feelings of being unsafe, I think you will be just fine, its more about speed than danger.. so as long as space mountain or big thunder don't bother you.. you will be fine. I have no issues with anything at Disney but as I get older some of six flags are starting to scare me lol because that logical part of my brain doesn't like the fact I'm going so fast and high and I'm a little piece of steel.

if you removed the mountain and just had the track on ee or big thunder mountain they would be much more scary

LeighM

Ahh ok.

But, no! I'm totally fine on ToT.. and also on any extreme thrill rollercoaster. The first time I felt it was when sitting still on the top of this ride..
I'm fine on the drop! It's so strange.
View attachment 199128
View attachment 199132

And then I felt dizzy and sweaty palms when standing at the top of this...
I've done them both hundreds of times before.. 1 is not even a ride!!!

View attachment 199130

I bet the view from that drop tower is gorgeous! Although there's no way I could even attempt that :) The view is one thing I actually miss by not being able to do heights. The climb was one thing I loved most about roller coasters because it felt like I could see forever. Have you ever been to Rock City in Chattanooga? When went there a few times on family vacations and the views from the top never bothered me. Now my knees feel funny even looking at pictures LOL.

disneyworlddad

Thank you all for your comments. My wife tells me I over-analyze things and should just enjoy stuff, but my mind just wants to know lol. I'm hoping that the angles aren't that difference between the 81' drop at TNT in Branson, and the 80' drop at EE, 'cause I do fine on the former.

I go to SDC almost every year for young Christians weekend as a chaperone. I didn't this year as I had a new baby. However, I'd say EE is a little more intense than Thunder but not by much. The backwards part of EE is what makes it feel more intense, otherwise I'd say they are similar.

TBrass84

Original Poster
I go to SDC almost every year for young Christians weekend as a chaperone. I didn't this year as I had a new baby. However, I'd say EE is a little more intense than Thunder but not by much. The backwards part of EE is what makes it feel more intense, otherwise I'd say they are similar.

Thank you. I've watched the low light videos of EE for the backwards part and it's not at all what worries me. So taking that out, you think drop of EE similar enough to TNT for me to be good? That's the same weekend we always go to SDC and this last October was first time to ride TnT

21stamps

I bet the view from that drop tower is gorgeous! Although there's no way I could even attempt that :) The view is one thing I actually miss by not being able to do heights. The climb was one thing I loved most about roller coasters because it felt like I could see forever. Have you ever been to Rock City in Chattanooga? When went there a few times on family vacations and the views from the top never bothered me. Now my knees feel funny even looking at pictures LOL.

I just read this.. a month later. Lol

I have not been to Rock City! I've actually never been in Chattanooga at all.

A few days ago there was a power surge at Kings Island.. I wasn't there..I read that the people on Drop Tower were stuck at the top for 30 minutes. I love the ride, but I wouldn't want to be stuck up there!

JillC LI

Big 48 year old baby here too who only in the past 8 years has tried any thrill rides. I love 7DMT, BTMRR, and even RNRC because it doesn't have drops, but I will not repeat ToT or EE (each of which I tried once but did not like at all because of the drops). They're all worth trying once though.

Seabasealpha1

Big thunder is probably more like down three steps from Everest. They're different animals for sure...

The BEST advice (honest to God) that I can give you...is to just enjojy the ride. DO NOT tense up and fight where the ride is taking you... The very first time I rode, I fought it (the backward section especially) and I actually had some sore muscles from straining when really you shouldn't. Just kinda sit relaxed in the seat and let the train take you around. I personally found that the more I rode it and didn't tense up or worry, the better and better each ride was. To me, this is key. Disney Imagineers (and this is why I love them) spend a lot of time getting into your head with the ride queue and backstory and the outward appearance of rides...they're very good at freaking you out or working you up...only to give you a great experience. The amount of worked up you get isn't always real once you're on that ride. Let the story suck you in...but be calm.

It's a beautiful ride for that matter...enjoy the waterfalls and the rockwork and the trees and the view...and the temple at the top of the lift hill...look around at all of the details...this really is a complete experience from the start of the queue to the exit...it's much more just a track and trains and drops and concrete pylons...it's a work of art. take it in. Go with it. Breathe.

It's worth it! You have very very little to worry about!

Last edited:

disneyworlddad

Thank you. I've watched the low light videos of EE for the backwards part and it's not at all what worries me. So taking that out, you think drop of EE similar enough to TNT for me to be good? That's the same weekend we always go to SDC and this last October was first time to ride TnT

Yea I'd say you are fine.

fractal

The backwards drop can make me a bit queasy. I think what screws you up is being in complete darkness without anything for your eyes to fix on which, combined with the motion, screws up your equilibrium; at least for me.

I have found a bit of a solution for this. When I can no longer see anything in front of me I look down and you can see part of the mountain infrastructure through the tracks. That's helped me greatly reduce the queasy feeling.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom