25th Anniversary

Ag11gani

Must be quite a bit pricier? And then there's probably training involved. I have no idea how that kind of thing works but I have no doubt $$ played into it. I'm sure in time they will. Hopefully.

Surprised Tokyo wasn't the first and that all of them don't have talking heads ...

The reason Tokyo dosn't have the articulated heads, is probably the same reason they don't have a lot of the newer characters. Tokyo only gets new characters, when their movies are a big hit and even then they don't get a M&G. For example, the Frozen characters didn't appear till 2015 and they have never met. Nick and Judy are debuting in a parade in a couple of days, but they won't be meeting (at least for now). Any character that debut after 2005 dosn't appear in the Tokyo parks, exept Rapunzel,Flyn and possible on or two more. Even characters pre 2005, only appeared if the film was successful. Don't know why this is the reason, as they don't need to get a face character preformer for the furs.

A possile reason could be that they are waiting for them to debut the new style heads, before they get the articulated ones, therefore not 'wasting' old heads.

Donald Dutch

I'm surprised they didn't finally use the talking heads at the castle shows knowing it's only shown at the other park. Same goes for Tokyo.
I have been thinking about this too. Talking Olaf would have been great in the Frozen Sing Along, same goes for King Louie and Baloo in the Forest of Enchantment...

Kman101

The reason Tokyo dosn't have the articulated heads, is probably the same reason they don't have a lot of the newer characters. Tokyo only gets new characters, when their movies are a big hit and even then they don't get a M&G. For example, the Frozen characters didn't appear till 2015 and they have never met. Nick and Judy are debuting in a parade in a couple of days, but they won't be meeting (at least for now). Any character that debut after 2005 dosn't appear in the Tokyo parks, exept Rapunzel,Flyn and possible on or two more. Even characters pre 2005, only appeared if the film was successful. Don't know why this is the reason, as they don't need to get a face character preformer for the furs.

A possile reason could be that they are waiting for them to debut the new style heads, before they get the articulated ones, therefore not 'wasting' old heads.

Didn't know a lot of that. Thanks for sharing the information. I know Tokyo seems to have a lot of 'rare' characters, but considering they don't really debut new ones, that makes more sense now.

The 'not wasting old heads' sounds like something they'd probably not want to do so that makes sense.

tcsnwhite

I went off on Ignite the Dream, this was even worse. I've come to the conclusion that Steve has devolved into a hack who's only talent is collecting a paycheck. Hard to believe the same man created Legend of Mythica, Remember Dreams Come True, and Disney Dreams.

I don't think that's quite a fair assessment. As was said before, while he's the head of "Parades and Spectacles", he also doesn't get to just do whatever he wants, when he wants, nor with the money he wants. He does have people to answer to, and various things to consider besides just what he wants to do creatively. He and his team would probably love for their best and newest ideas to be bought in every pitch meeting, but I'm sure he encounters factors that don't always make that possible. And like any artist, you're going to have hits, misses, and whatever else in-between. But even with that, his track record of productions over the many, many years show he has a very solid body of work, with far more hits than misses (at least in this humble opinion).

As for personal taste, folks can have whatever opinion they like of a show's creative content. I'm not saying otherwise. Personally, I think Illuminations is entertaining and pretty to look at...but Dreams was certainly the more solid and cohesive show overall.

Last edited:

mickeyfan5534

I don't think that's quite a fair assessment. As was said before, while he's the head of "Parades and Spectacles", he also doesn't get to just do whatever he wants, when he wants, nor with the money he wants. He does have people to answer to, and various things to consider besides just what he wants to do creatively. He and his team would probably love for their best and newest ideas to be bought in every pitch meeting, but I'm sure he encounters factors that don't always make that possible. And like any artist, you're going to have hits, misses, and whatever else in-between. But even with that, his track record of productions over the many, many years show he has a very solid body of work, with far more hits than misses (at least in this humble opinion).

As for personal taste, folks can have whatever opinion they like of a show's creative content. I'm not saying otherwise. Personally, I think Illuminations is entertaining and pretty to look at...but Dreams was certainly the more solid and cohesive show overall.
It's got really good bones. The opening and finale and Lion King, Little Mermaid, and maybe Frozen are mostly great. It's the rest of the show that's the problem and the problem is that the rest of the show is so bad that it outweighs the good. Live action just doesn't work well on the castles and considering the best part of Ignite the Dream was Mulan, it was disappointing to see Mulan excluded. I'd much rather see Mulan, Beauty 1991, and another segment than Pirates, Beauty 2017 (although I did love it), and Star Wars. If only for variety's sake.

Kman101

It did feel odd seeing Pirates, Beauty 2017 and Star Wars (though I like SW so I enjoy the music and I didn't hate that segment) projected onto the castle for some reason. I obviously haven't seen it in person (yet) but some segments were well done. Dreams just seemed to check off all the right boxes though. I'm disappointed I won't see that when I go. Illuminations is impressive, but I wish I could have seen Dreams.

jrhwdw

HAPPY 25TH DLP!!!!! And......
WOW!!!!!!:

Man, DLP has really grown!!! That was fantastic!!!! One tiny nitpick though, do they not know how to use daytime pyro??? If this was at MK, there would be pyro all over the castle and Fantasyland!
Now let's get a night parade back in DLP and get this amount of spirit/money/however they made today work into TDO! Along with a night parade!

JDL30

That birthday ceremony was really something - personal favourites: Giving each Disneyland Parc land it's own section (Frontierland was my favourite), Allowing the cast members to parade, having Aurora and Phillip be centre stage in front of their own castle, and the sheer amount of past and present characters in the Cavalcade. Hope WDW is paying attention about how it is done.

I also like they haven't decorated the castle - they never need it during an anniversary as they are beautiful enough. Just need decorations around the area...

jrhwdw

Another nitpick DLP didn't even bother to livestream the cavalcades today! BIG mistake IMO! They were livestreamig all the other 25th Entertainment!

brb1006

That birthday ceremony was really something - personal favourites: Giving each Disneyland Parc land it's own section (Frontierland was my favourite), Allowing the cast members to parade, having Aurora and Phillip be centre stage in front of their own castle, and the sheer amount of past and present characters in the Cavalcade. Hope WDW is paying attention about how it is done.

I also like they haven't decorated the castle - they never need it during an anniversary as they are beautiful enough. Just need decorations around the area...
WDW should take notes for the 50th

mickeyfan5534

HAPPY 25TH DLP!!!!! And......
WOW!!!!!!:

Man, DLP has really grown!!! That was fantastic!!!! One tiny nitpick though, do they not know how to use daytime pyro??? If this was at MK, there would be pyro all over the castle and Fantasyland!
Now let's get a night parade back in DLP and get this amount of spirit/money/however they made today work into TDO! Along with a night parade!

This show was utterly spectacular. Take the feeling that the finale of Dream Along With Mickey gave you and expand it to an hour. This endless feeling of magic and an amazing tribute to the cast at the finale. I don't think we'll ever see something this amazing stateside but I would love to be proven wrong.

brb1006

This show was utterly spectacular. Take the feeling that the finale of Dream Along With Mickey gave you and expand it to an hour. This endless feeling of magic and an amazing tribute to the cast at the finale. I don't think we'll ever see something this amazing stateside but I would love to be proven wrong.
WDW better step up their game for the 50th in 2021.

Ryan H. Serowinski

I liked how characters from Atlantis, Treasure Planet, Chicken Little, Bolt, Meet the Robinsons, Filk & Atta, Elena, Sofia, Phineas & Ferb, with Stitch's friends Sparky, Rueben, Angel, Leroy, Pleakley, Roger & Jessica, Darkwing Duck, Launchpad, Hercules, Brother Bear, Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, Rescuers, The entire Big Hero 6(except Baymax), Clopin from Hunchback, and many rarities made it to the party. :)

Note: Surprised the characters spoke english and most of the character's original voices reprised their roles during the show

Note #2: Ratatouille's Remy and Emile appearing weren't a surprise, because the movie is pretty popular in Paris.

brb1006

I liked how characters from Atlantis, Treasure Planet, Chicken Little, Bolt, Meet the Robinsons, Filk & Atta, Elena, Sofia, Phineas & Ferb, with Stitch's friends Sparky, Rueben, Angel, Leroy, Pleakley, Roger & Jessica, Darkwing Duck, Launchpad, Hercules, Brother Bear, Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, Rescuers, The entire Big Hero 6(except Baymax), Clopin from Hunchback, and many rarities made it to the party. :)

Note: Surprised the characters spoke english and most of the character's original voices reprised their roles during the show

Note #2: Ratatouille's Remy and Emile appearing weren't a surprise, because the movie is pretty popular in Paris.
I didn't expect Marie,Toulouse and Berlioz to speak English let alone by a different voice actor at all.

Kman101

That was fantastic! Really well done.

I thought they did livestream though? I thought I saw something about it being at 3am (eastern?) which would be what, 8/9 Paris time?

mickeyfan5534

I just really hope this spectacular little birthday party becomes an iconic piece for two reasons.
1. I'm pretty sure this is the first time there's been a dance between Aurora and Philip in front of Le Chateau in it's full glory and in a of couple very nice, unique costumes that fit the most storybook of the castles.
2. It shows what Disney is capable of with these anniversary celebrations and all Disney needs to do is throw a buck in to make this kind of one off spectacular, elaborate, beautiful, nostalgic show that takes that feeling of joy and magic very few moments receive now and stretches it into a full hour and all you needed was a regular park ticket.

Also,
Is anyone else completely blown away by Catherine Powell every time they see her or is that just me?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom