STK Orlando now offers brunch, including The Ultimate Brunch For Two

jaklgreen

Comparing "french fries" to parmesan truffle fries. While they are both made from potatoes, it is still an apples and oranges comparison, just like comparing a baked potato to french fries. 2 totally different experiences as far as sides go. Since it seems that you have never eaten at a restaurant that prices it's sides separately, there really is not point since you will never understand. I would like to know what places you have eaten that you consider high-end?

LOL you crack me up, "putting parmesan and truffle on fries makes them not fries anymore". LOL I don't know why everyone is having such a hard time with the idea that there are restaurants that serve amazing high end food that actually give you a meal and not everything ala carte. Just because you name a few that serve that way does not mean that they are the only ones that serve food at that level. The most "popular" ones do this so that mean every single restaurant is the same way? You are not even open to the concept that there are millions of restaurants in this country and that not all of them fit into your little mold. OMG , you got a baked potato with your steak, it must have been a choice cut, not the prime.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
LOL you crack me up, "putting parmesan and truffle on fries makes them not fries anymore". LOL I don't know why everyone is having such a hard time with the idea that there are restaurants that serve amazing high end food that actually give you a meal and not everything ala carte. Just because you name a few that serve that way does not mean that they are the only ones that serve food at that level. The most "popular" ones do this so that mean every single restaurant is the same way? You are not even open to the concept that there are millions of restaurants in this country and that not all of them fit into your little mold. OMG , you got a baked potato with your steak, it must have been a choice cut, not the prime.
Never said they weren't fries anymore. Just that it is a different eating experience.

So please name one high-end place (in your estimation) that you have eaten at that serves french fries with their steaks as the regular side dish.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Good times.

FWIW, I've never been to a high end steakhouse that included sides with your cut o beef. Charging for sauce I'm not sure, as I don't typically order a sauce. Every steakhouse I've been to does serve fries, fanciness varies on those.

Palm, River Palm, Mortons and Ruth's Chris(both over rated) a few other more local places as well. They all operate the same way. Buy yo meat, buy yo side, fries if you want em.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Good times.

FWIW, I've never been to a high end steakhouse that included sides with your cut o beef. Charging for sauce I'm not sure, as I don't typically order a sauce. Every steakhouse I've been to does serve fries, fanciness varies on those.

Palm, River Palm, Mortons and Ruth's Chris(both over rated) a few other more local places as well. They all operate the same way. Buy yo meat, buy yo side, fries if you want em.
Placing sauce on a great cut of meat is sacrilege and completely unnecessary. I can see why they charge extra, as it isn't something we'd ever want anyway. If a steak claims a sauce, we always get it on the side, or tell them not to bother.

Ruth's Chris and Morton's are both over-rated. And I don't consider them "high-end" either. Upper middle is the best I can give them.

jaklgreen

Many many many places like this...but...Steakhouses. Honest to goodness houses of aged beef, I've never had an included side.

Maybe it is where you live. I know in the bigger cities like NYC and Chicago that is what the steak houses do. Probably because they can get away with it. The market is willing to accept that. Not where I live, in the middle of the country where steak is king and is served at almost every single restaurant. And you can not serve a bad steak otherwise you won't last long here. Way too much competition for diners, even at the high end side, to just serve a steak on a plate.

jaklgreen

Placing sauce on a great cut of meat is sacrilege and completely unnecessary. I can see why they charge extra, as it isn't something we'd ever want anyway. If a steak claims a sauce, we always get it on the side, or tell them not to bother.

Ruth's Chris and Morton's are both over-rated. And I don't consider them "high-end" either. Upper middle is the best I can give them.
I have to agree with you about the sauce.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Maybe it is where you live. I know in the bigger cities like NYC and Chicago that is what the steak houses do. Probably because they can get away with it. The market is willing to accept that. Not where I live, in the middle of the country where steak is king and is served at almost every single restaurant. And you can not serve a bad steak otherwise you won't last long here. Way too much competition for diners, even at the high end side, to just serve a steak on a plate.

I'll have to take your word for it. I've never been to the mid-west outside of South Bend, and I was on a mostly liquid diet when I went there.

For the purposes of our conversation, Florida isn't in the Midwest, and in this case is more like NYC then (insert midwestern backwoods "city" name :p) so I'd expect the same kinda treatment in Disney that I get in the Tri-state area. I can see why it would grate on you though.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I'll have to take your word for it. I've never been to the mid-west outside of South Bend, and I was on a mostly liquid diet when I went there.
I lived in Omaha for over a decade, and while they had some really good steakhouses, I wouldn't call any of them "high-end". They were on a par with Outback and such, but that's about it.

jaklgreen

For the purposes of our conversation, Florida isn't in the Midwest, and in this case is more like NYC then (insert midwestern backwoods "city" name :p) so I'd expect the same kinda treatment in Disney that I get in the Tri-state area. I can see why it would grate on you though.
No, I get it. This is what is "done" I just don't think it's worth it considering the other option. I think Narcoossee and Yachtsman steakhouse are both in the the higher end range but they at least give you some mashed potatoes with their meal. Also if the sides were reasonably prices then I probably would not have as much of an issue with it either. But $10 is high.

jaklgreen

I lived in Omaha for over a decade, and while they had some really good steakhouses, I wouldn't call any of them "high-end". They were on a par with Outback and such, but that's about it.

They have plenty of high end ones now. Lots of rich people live there. :greedy:

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
No, I get it. This is what is "done" I just don't think it's worth it considering the other option. I think Narcoossee and Yachtsman steakhouse are both in the the higher end range but they at least give you some mashed potatoes with their meal. Also if the sides were reasonably prices then I probably would not have as much of an issue with it either. But $10 is high.
Except that the $10 side can usually be shared amongst 2 or even 3 people - they really are that large.

jaklgreen

Except that the $10 side can usually be shared amongst 2 or even 3 people - they really are that large.
But what if I don't want the same side as my dining partner or I am alone? I don't like that concept. I don't want to take a plate of broccoli home by itself.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
But what if I don't want the same side as my dining partner or I am alone? I don't like that concept. I don't want to take a plate of broccoli home by itself.
With a partner, then you pick 2 different sides to share and sample. If alone, not sure why you'd be dining there in the first place. I've never even considered dining alone at a higher end restaurant. Of course, that's just me.

ETA: And if together, you can save a few bucks by only getting one side.

jaklgreen

Fleming's was good, Mahogany, Spencers. I grew up in Chicago and I travel a lot. I like food, I like good food. But steak is one of those things that is had so easily here that I usually try other stuff that we don't have. Like I would eat at Morimotos any day over STK because we don't have that type of food here. I could cook a great steak on my grill. Maybe that is why I have a problem with them nickel and dimeing people on the sides. Same way that we get racked over the coal for any kind of seafood.

jaklgreen

With a partner, then you pick 2 different sides to share and sample. If alone, not sure why you'd be dining there in the first place. I've never even considered dining alone at a higher end restaurant. Of course, that's just me.

ETA: And if together, you can save a few bucks by only getting one side.

Why would you not eat alone? It's an amazing steak! So amazing that you pay extra for sides. LOL

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Why would you not eat alone? It's an amazing steak! So amazing that you pay extra for sides. LOL
Because it isn't just about the steak, and that's what you don't seem to understand. It's about the experience as well, and I would only want to share that with my wife, not alone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom