News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

raven

When my kids were still taking naps we would leave the park in the afternoon and drive around so they would sleep in the car. It is amazing to me how much the area had developed and that was at least 5 years ago so I'm sure there's even more stuff now.
They just completed the widening of 535 to the North of Disney Property due to the extremely fast growth in the area. Now the roads are getting jammed again because of even more growth. They built 3 new schools in my area in the past 2 years alone to accommodate all of the families that are relocating here.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
These days most people shop around before making any kind of purchase or rental.
I don't think that's always true. A lot of people don't have the first clue how to shop around or if what they are booking is a good deal. People also generally don't have a good idea when to book things. For instance when booking a flight the prices are highest at 11 months out and generally go down some until you get within 2 weeks of flying. Most people book their vacation when they decide they want go without thinking about timing. Disney is a complex vacation to plan but the average guest isn't going to a site like this for advice. They just wing it and often times pay the price. I hear people say that nobody pays rack rate for rooms at WDW, but some people actually do and not just to get "free" dining.

21stamps

Ha!! You are the prime example of a brainwashed Disneyphile, no offense. Disney doesn't want you to see what lies beyond their property and you have fallen for that. It isn't your fault. They just dona great job at making sure you stay there and never leave their sights.

But Central Florida is full of world class entertainment and offerings. There are exciting new things popping up every week. I'm. It just talking about other theme parks either. You really are missing some spectacular things by only staying on Disney property.

I've been to Orlando and only stayed on Disney property, and I've been to Orlando without going near Disney World. Depends on the trip.
I lived in ChampionsGate for three years and I fully endorse the sentiment that there's nothing off property besides snakes and bottled beverages. Even when I rent a car (about half the time), I never go off property aside from my initial bottled water run to Target. WDW is bordered by a craphole to the East (535), a craphole to the South (192), a craphole to the West (27), and lots of nothing to the North. Those routes are nothing but chain restaurants, poverty, and janky souvenir shops.

Elitist.

Did something new happen on the fee front?

New survey?

anchorman314

Obviously he hasn't even been off property to see what else there is besides "snakes and bottled beverages." I was making a point that if you've never been then you will never know. And Disney wants you to never do that. That was the point of my reply.
Obviously, I am fully aware that there is "stuff" outside of the path between MCO and WDW. But, like I previously said, when I go on a vacation to WDW, I'm going to WDW. Not to all the "stuff" outside of WDW. That other themed complex up I-4? I have zero interest in it. (That is, until Nintendo-land makes an appearance. Then we'll see.) Call me whatever you want, but stop insinuating that anyone who goes to WDW and has the audacity to actually stay there is doing it wrong. They might actually be doing it exactly the way they want to.

raven

...stop insinuating that anyone who goes to WDW and has the audacity to actually stay there is doing it wrong.

Actually I didn't say that. I said that you fell into the catagory of Disney guests that will only stay on Disney property because they've made you feel yoibdont need to. That's due to both their marketing and people being extreme Disney fans.

It was actually you who insinuated there is basically nothing outside of Disney property:
Aside from a grocery store to get some snacks and bottled beverages, where else would most guests go?
And Universal isn't the only thing out their either. You can't make that such a statement if you've never ventured out beyond the mousetrap.

homerdance

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Actually I didn't say that. I said that you fell into the catagory of Disney guests that will only stay on Disney property because they've made you feel yoibdont need to. That's due to both their marketing and people being extreme Disney fans.

It was actually you who insinuated there is basically nothing outside of Disney property:

And Universal isn't the only thing out their either. You can't make that such a statement if you've never ventured out beyond the mousetrap.
Having lived in Orlando as well, when we vacation at WDW, we have no desire to go off-site, not because we don't know what is there - we know perfectly well what is there - but we just don't care. It has nothing to do with Disney marketing or that they make us feel like we don't have to. We just don't. To each his/her own. :D

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I've done both. I've had trips where I didn't leave Disney property and other times where I haven't done anything Disney. I have family not far outside of Orlando so I have other reasons to visit the area outside of pure vacationing. I generally like to do one or the other but not both on the same trip. If I do a "Disney Trip" I fly in, take DME and stay on property. I don't usually leave to do other stuff (including visiting the in-laws). On another trip I might drive down to FL and visit my father in law and do some non-Disney stuff. I get my fill of the Mouse on my Disney-only trips so I don't feel the need to do Disney stuff again. That's just my preference. I know others like to mix it up. I still have trouble doing everything I want to do at WDW in a week (especially now that my kids are big enough to ride everything) so I can't imagine trying to mix in several days off property too.

bhg469

Having lived in Orlando as well, when we vacation at WDW, we have no desire to go off-site, not because we don't know what is there - we know perfectly well what is there - but we just don't care. It has nothing to do with Disney marketing or that they make us feel like we don't have to. We just don't. To each his/her own. :D
I don't know... Sounds like the marketing is working perfectly.

raven

But at least you admitted to knowing what else was out there and didn't post a statement proclaiming not much was there. That's the difference.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I don't know... Sounds like the marketing is working perfectly.
So you just discount the fact that I used to live there, and know exactly what else is out there?? :confused: Oh, and like @GoofGoof , we have relatives still living only a short distance away that we drive over for several times a year. We don't do Disney on those either. The Disney fix is immersive. The other visits, not so much.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There is a ton of other stuff to do within an hour of Disney. A crazy lot of stuff.
It's crazy how much the area is developed. If I visited for a week every year for the next decade and never set foot on Disney or Universal property I still probably wouldn't have enough time to do everything and definitely not enough time to hit all the restaurants. If you live locally and actually make enough money to do a lot of this stuff on a regular basis it must be pretty amazing. I guess you would get sick of us tourists though:cool:

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
It's crazy how much the area is developed. If I visited for a week every year for the next decade and never set foot on Disney or Universal property I still probably wouldn't have enough time to do everything and definitely not enough time to hit all the restaurants. If you live locally and actually make enough money to do a lot of this stuff on a regular basis it must be pretty amazing. I guess you would get sick of us tourists though:cool:
Can't get sick of the tourists. They're the reason we don't pay state income taxes! So a double-edged sword.

Kman101

I love venturing out into Orlando and the outer areas. I find backroads and other ways to get to things. I personally like the Disney Springs Best Western. Yes it's still on property but it's worked out and driving distance is great to the parks but they also have busses and walking to the springs is great and takes no time. Lots of safe hotels and areas. But no one should be slammed if they want to stay in the bubble either

anchorman314

But at least you admitted to knowing what else was out there and didn't post a statement proclaiming not much was there. That's the difference.
It started when you said:
Oh the places that car can take you though to save you much more money on things that Disney overcharges guests for.
To which I replied:
Aside from a grocery store to get some snacks and bottled beverages, where else would most guests go? Personally, I don't go to WDW just to go to off-property restaurants that I can go to back home. And I'm not going to go to Walmart to buy souvenirs just because they cost less. When I go to WDW, I've accepted the fact that there is a significant markup.
Obviously, I was responding to your assertion that people should use their rental cars to drive off property to buy and do things instead of buying them and doing them on property. To think and imply that I have blinders on to the fact that the Orlando area has much to offer for many different wants/needs/tastes is simply inane and insulting. My sole point was that there are a great number of families that allocate X number of days to spend in WDW, because they want to be in WDW, and understand that the prices at WDW are what they are. They do not want to spend their time away from WDW just to save a few bucks on souvenirs or get food at a chain restaurant that's also 10 minutes from their house.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom