News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

raven

Sometimes people visit Orlando just to visit WDW. Sometimes they visit Orlando to visit WDW as well as do other things in Orlando and other parts of Florida. If someone plans a trip and devotes their time to visit WDW only, it may be convenient to stay on property if you want to spend the money on it. It may be less convenient or make less sense for someone who has planned to see the other sights of Florida.

Bottom line, depending on the purpose of your visit to Orlando and/or Florida, their are pros and cons to staying onsite or staying offsite. No one is right or wrong. It is what works best for you and your overall trip plans.

Grow up. Do you really have to resort to silly namecalling because you don't agree with a poster's views?
Obviously you missed the point of my comment.

I quoted a member who asked what more was there to do outside of Disney than grab groceries. Someone who solely visits WDW again and again who's never stepped foot off property will never know, will they? I was responding to what lies beyond.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Obviously you missed the point of my comment.

I quoted a member who asked what more was there to do outside of Disney than grab groceries. Someone who solely visits WDW again and again who's never stepped foot off property will never know, will they? I was responding to what lies beyond.

I think you misinterpreted what the previous poster was stating. I think he was coming from the perspective of a WDW guest; as a WDW guest doesn't really need to leave the property because everything they need for their stay is there for the most part. I am sure he knows there are other things to do in Florida besides going to WDW.

Jeffxz

Yeah that CAN happen, but it's not normal. And most car renters aren't savvy enough to know where all the discounts are. A minivan for my week in August is currently at $704.94 for eight days.

Then you didn't try very hard. I just did a quick search for 8 random days in august covering 2 weekends on Alamo and a minivan is $488. If you're willing to use priceline you could still probably knock another $100-$150 off of that.

I travel to MCO 4-6 times a year (mostly holiday weeks) and have never paid more than $200/week including fees and taxes for a standard car.

CaptainAmerica

Then you didn't try very hard. I just did a quick search for 8 random days in august covering 2 weekends on Alamo and a minivan is $488. If you're willing to use priceline you could still probably knock another $100-$150 off of that.

I travel to MCO 4-6 times a year (mostly holiday weeks) and have never paid more than $200/week including fees and taxes for a standard car.
Wow you are COMPLETELY missing the point. I'm not saying "better rates don't exist," I'm saying "lots of people pay full price." Maybe a rental car wouldn't be $60 per night for you or for me, but it is for lots of people.

GoofGoof

I don't like paying resort fees but I have no issue with the way the resort fee is displayed for the mirage. It's clear to me and I'm sure if you continue booking it's going to be included in the total final price. But that is because I am used to seeing these fees so would never miss it when called out. I get others may not notice though. And then when you are comparing hotels on Expedia and other third party sites, that is where it gets tricky and annoying as you said.
When you know what to look for it's pretty easy to find, but not everyone travels frequently and it's still misleading. If you look at that screen shot from Mirage that I posted, on the left side is a list of other MGM Mirage properties and the rates for the same days. Those are also rates before the resort fee which is not always the same at every resort. It just makes it harder to compare and since every guest has to pay the resort fee with no way to opt out there's no reason not to include it in the room rate except to try to mislead people. If there was a valid business reason to do it I might be able to support the practice, but I've never heard one.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
When you know what to look for it's pretty easy to find, but not everyone travels frequently and it's still misleading. If you look at that screen shot from Mirage that I posted, on the left side is a list of other MGM Mirage properties and the rates for the same days. Those are also rates before the resort fee which is not always the same at every resort. It just makes it harder to compare and since every guest has to pay the resort fee with no way to opt out there's no reason not to include it in the room rate except to try to mislead people. If there was a valid business reason to do it I might be able to support the practice, but I've never heard one.

Yeah...the comparing rates thing is really the big issue I see that causes the headache for people. I have heard of several business reasons behind why it is necessary/whey they do it, but nothing I can discuss here openly (and you wouldn't buy the reasons anyways, and really neither do I, lol).

raven

I think you misinterpreted what the previous poster was stating. I think he was coming from the perspective of a WDW guest; as a WDW guest doesn't really need to leave the property because everything they need for their stay is there for the most part.
Exactly! He stated:
Aside from a grocery store to get some snacks and bottled beverages, where else would most guests go?
Obviously he hasn't even been off property to see what else there is besides "snakes and bottled beverages." I was making a point that if you've never been then you will never know. And Disney wants you to never do that. That was the point of my reply.

raven

Exactly! He stated:

Obviously he hasn't even been off property to see what else there is besides "snakes and bottled beverages." I was making a point that if you've never been then you will never know. And Disney wants you to never do that. That was the point of my reply.
"Snacks" sorry :banghead:

njDizFan

I booked my minivan last year way too late since the dates for my vacation were not fixed until like 60 days out. I paid $1000 for 15 days or about $66/day and I was happy at that rate. Through my company I am an Avis preferred and Hertz presidential member. So it's not far fetched to pay that much even for a consumer with more than adequate Google skills. On the Costco site now and I do see that same van for 15 days in July is around $600 through Enterprise but goes up over $900 for the other carriers.

And yes I do see the rate for a small vehicle on their site for the end of August at $27/day-$190/week. So timing and needs can vary as do prices

CaptainAmerica

Obviously he hasn't even been off property to see what else there is besides "snakes and bottled beverages."
I lived in ChampionsGate for three years and I fully endorse the sentiment that there's nothing off property besides snakes and bottled beverages. Even when I rent a car (about half the time), I never go off property aside from my initial bottled water run to Target. WDW is bordered by a craphole to the East (535), a craphole to the South (192), a craphole to the West (27), and lots of nothing to the North. Those routes are nothing but chain restaurants, poverty, and janky souvenir shops.

GoofGoof

I lived in ChampionsGate for three years and I fully endorse the sentiment that there's nothing off property besides snakes and bottled beverages. Even when I rent a car (about half the time), I never go off property aside from my initial bottled water run to Target. WDW is bordered by a craphole to the East (535), a craphole to the South (192), a craphole to the West (27), and lots of nothing to the North. Those routes are nothing but chain restaurants, poverty, and janky souvenir shops.
But they are Magic crapholes right?
IMG_0684.PNG

raven

You couldn't be any further from the truth. Maybe 10 or 15 years ago but not now. You'd be surprised at how fast this place has changed since then.

GoofGoof

I don't really want to wade into the great rental car debate, but I think we can all agree that a rental car costs something more than nothing. When you factor in daily rate, taxes, fees, gas and depending on where you drive tolls I think $60 a day is probably a reasonable estimate for a minivan. For a smaller car probably less. I've gotten great deals on rental cars in Orlando and I've gotten screwed. It all depends on when you are going and when you book. The $20 parking fee is firm unless you sneak into a resort or park at Disney Springs and walk to SSR (which I am not suggesting, but we all know it happens).

GoofGoof

You couldn't be any further from the truth. Maybe 10 or 15 years ago but not now. You'd be surprised at how fast this place has changed since then.
When my kids were still taking naps we would leave the park in the afternoon and drive around so they would sleep in the car. It is amazing to me how much the area had developed and that was at least 5 years ago so I'm sure there's even more stuff now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom