Rumor Brazil is the frontrunner for a new World Showcase Pavilion

Status
Not open for further replies.

tissandtully

Here's an exclusive look at what the pavilion is gonna look like:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/rio-olympics-abandoned-photos_us_58d13655e4b00705db52b97d

This is a rumor that is far, far, far, far from happening. ... I'm not even sure it has real legit background or if it is coming from a faction of WDI (see leaked HKDL plans that still are NOT a go) or bloggers/podcasters who have a bunch of circumstantial items that they are using to take a very huge leap.

Honestly, if WS was getting an addition, I can think of half a dozen countries that would make more sense than Brazil.

Tour groups and a failed and troubling Olympiad in no way should lead to a conclusion here.

Lots of stuff being talked about with a fair amount happening ... but this ...

jt04

WS can focus on people and culture and leave the rainforest to AK.

I agree in principle but just doubt you will ever see a major expansion of species at DAK. So that is a limiting factor for future expansion.

ToTBellHop

In case you haven't noticed, they used migraine-inducingly rose-colored glasses when designing each of the pavilions. Ever been to Mexico City? Shanghai? Rome? Chicago? Paris? London? Montreal?

There are rough neighborhoods everywhere. Show pretty architecture or scenery, highlight the better parts of the culture, and ship in 20-something hotties of each sex from the country. Add booze for good measure. Ignore poverty-, infant mortality-, homicide-, murder-, sexual assault-, and literacy rates. Imagine if they highlighted those numbers while "Golden Dreams" is playing in the American Adventure.

Welcome to World Showcase.

Donde esta Donald?
IMG_3135.JPG

Last edited:

jt04

For those who haven't noticed, they used migraine-inducingly rose-colored glasses when designing each of the pavilions. Ever been to Mexico City? Shanghai? Rome? Chicago? Paris? London? Montreal?

There are rough neighborhoods everywhere. Show pretty architecture or scenery, highlight the better parts of the culture, and ship in 20-something hotties of each sex from the country. Add booze for good measure. Ignore poverty-, infant mortality-, homicide-, murder-, sexual assault-, and literacy rates. Imagine if they highlighted those numbers while "Golden Dreams" is playing in the American Adventure.

Welcome to World Showcase.

You could always step away from the keyboard and put to solving problems rather than just complain about them. There are many agencies that would welcome your help.

ToTBellHop

You could always step away from the keyboard and put to solving problems rather than just complain about them. There are many agencies that would welcome your help.
Surprisingly, I find time to teach in an inner city, volunteer in soup kitchens, and run blood drives AND step in front of the WDWMagic firing squad and get accused of making things up when, in fact, it is difficult to get a pulse on any WDW project as they vacillate more readily than my wife when she was pregnant.

How's Hyperion Wharf coming along?

Maybe we can get a stage show with chairs ripped out by looters?

IMG_3136.JPG

jpeden

In the Parks
No
Surprisingly, I find time to volunteer in soup kitchens and run blood drives AND step in front of the WDWMagic firing squad and get accused of making things up when, in fact, it is difficult to get a pulse on any WDW project as they vacillate more readily than my wife when she was pregnant.

How's Hyperion Wharf coming along?

Mic. Drop. #2.

doctornick

Original Poster

Can anyone in the know comment as to what, if any, attractions were conceived for the old Brazil plans? I feel like someone mentioned an aerial tram ride of all things, which certainly would seem less likely as an option for today given the gondola transportation plans for WDW.

If the leadership at Disney is hard core into using IPs for attractions, it is interesting as to what they would do for Brazil were a pavilion to be made. The most obvious is José Carioca and Saludos Amigos/Three Caballeros. It would be odd to see them use Coco for the Mexico ride and then just shift the Three Caballeros in a Brazil pavilion (but at least the nice "new" AAs wouldn't go to waste). I wonder if instead the could use just José and have him be a "host" on a more edutainment travelogue of Brazil?

bjlc57

This is a rumor that is far, far, far, far from happening. ... I'm not even sure it has real legit background or if it is coming from a faction of WDI (see leaked HKDL plans that still are NOT a go) or bloggers/podcasters who have a bunch of circumstantial items that they are using to take a very huge leap.

Honestly, if WS was getting an addition, I can think of half a dozen countries that would make more sense than Brazil.

Tour groups and a failed and troubling Olympiad in no way should lead to a conclusion here.

Lots of stuff being talked about with a fair amount happening ... but this ...
I was looking at the photos of the aftermath of the olympics from Brazil and it basically made me sick to my stomach.. Sorry But I have a real hard time thinking that this would be a good idea..

ToTBellHop

I was looking at the photos of the aftermath of the olympics from Brazil and it basically made me sick to my stomach.. Sorry But I have a real hard time thinking that this would be a good idea..
Have you looked at the aftermath of recent Japanese or American Olympic Games? Nagano looks great...Let's not judge Rio too harshly. Hosting an Olympic Games wrecks any city. I'm not sure why anyone wants to host anymore. It costs a fortune with negligible return. http://www.businessinsider.com/aban...et-to-prepare-for-the-2004-summer-olympics-32

Last edited:

Sordicampos

As a Brazilian, reading you comments makes me sad.
However, it is kind of funny thinking that you are so worried about the future of World showcase and Epcot in general, but here you are, trashing my country, making jokes about it, aggressively manifesting your xenophobia and bias. That's what World Showcase is about... Culture bashing!
Do you think you understand my country from sensationalist news?
Disney shouldn't build another country pavillion. I hope they don't build my country. You don't want that. You don't care about other cultures. You want rides. And Disney knows that. Disney knows you don't want to learn about others. You don't care. You want to eat, shop and ride. That's why Epcot is changing towards IPs.

And by the way, do you want to know why Brazil is likely to be built?
Because Brazil in recent years has made its way to the top of Orlando's overseas-visitor list. It's because we have spent a lot of money at Disney. That's all.

Last edited:

clemmo

So the way it sounds we will either get
#1 Brazil (maybe Spain?) with an ip amazon river boat ride
#2 just shops and restaurants
#3 no country at all
If we do get a country it seems 50/50 depending on sponsor if I'm reading correctly

DDLand

WS can focus on people and culture and leave the rainforest to AK.
This is true. I think sometimes Brazil's allure as a geographic destination clouds our ability to recognize the culture. Say Brazil, and many people's first thoughts go to the Amazon or the mountains surrounding Rio.

There's enough room to do both. Brazil has an extremely interesting cultural experience.

With a history involving Colonial Iberian Portuguese, Indigenous Peoples, African Slaves, Asian Populations, etc. it's one of the most interesting cultures on Earth.

Then you look at its' biodiversity and the Flora and Fauna are also some of the most interesting on Earth.

Fascinating country.

bhg469

However, it is kind of funny thinking that you are so worried about the future of World showcase and Epcot in general, but here you are, trashing my country, making jokes about it, aggressively manifesting your xenophobia and bias. That's what World Showcase is about... Culture bashing!
Disney shouldn't build another country pavillion. I hope they don't build my country. You don't want that. You don't care about other cultures. You want rides. And Disney knows that. Disney knows you don't want to learn about others. You don't care. You want to eat, shop and ride. That's why Epcot is changing towards IPs.

Because Brazil in recent years has made its way to the top of Orlando's overseas-visitor list. It's because we have spent a lot of money at Disney. That's all.
Brazil is a beautiful country with great people but the reputation of the tour groups from Brazil has been earned.

I'm sorry that there are people who offended you but years of these stories of rude guests and bad behavior have left a permanent mark on the people that visit.

Daveeeeed

TalkingHead

Frankly, I find the groups of American teenagers who sing in line and think they're in "Glee" as annoying as any tourists from other countries.

Back on subject, I guess adding Brazil would make guests from that country feel represented in World Showcase, but I question the logic of it. Would they be especially interested in food and merch from their Epcot country? Maybe, but it seems like it would be better business to add a country whose entertainment value appeals to guests across the board. Maybe that's Brazil, but maybe it's another country.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

The fact that people want Brazil in the WS shows that we like Brazil.

I posted a bunch of songs celebrating Brazil.

We feel sad about the Olympics debacle (yours isn't the first country the Olympics used and abused).

But as mentioned above, some of the Brazilian tourists have a bad rep for actual bad behavior. Then again, so do many Americans when they travel abroad.

In other words, Brazil isn't being picked on.... any more then we pick on any other country including the U.S. And if you don't believe that, check out the new politics forum.

MarkTwain

Brazil seems like a perfect choice to me.

Out of the current 11 WS countries, 8 are in Europe and North America, with 5 (almost half!) being European... So if showcasing the many cultures of the world is truly World Showcase's goal, than Europe and North America are plenty covered.

Meanwhile, South America is the largest continent currently not represented in Epcot at all, and Brazil is the largest and most diverse country in South America. Factor in world-famous dance, music, architecture and cuisine (just imagine a Brazilian steakhouse with a fireworks view)... I could see this making for a very compelling pavilion. Imagine the potential for samba or carnival-inspired street entertainment. The colorful architecture and tropical foliage alone would easily set it apart from every other pavilion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom