How Much Security is Too Much?

21stamps

Original Poster
I was prompted to start this based on the ferry dock thread.

It seems there is an effort to secure the entire 7 seas Lagoon/ Bay lake area.

How much should be "secure"?
Do people feel unsafe in these areas?
Should security be extended to all watercraft on these bodies of water? (Maybe not the jet skis since they're in their own zone).

I don't want this thread to turn nasty, please. Just opinions on security measures and how much is too much/ not enough/ just right. No opinion is absolutely right or wrong :)

21stamps

Original Poster
It would be difficult, but my opinion is-it would be nice to have one security spot at the entrance of the resorts, the problem with that is the amount of entrances to get in. So, I don't see that happening.

I wonder if it's just the lakes that are a concern. The monorail passes by several open guest areas, walkways, pools. The lobbies are crowded, all of these could be "potential" targets. Will this all be dealt with by multiple security stations? Will it even be "worth" staying/visiting any of these resorts if that happens?

Plenty of resorts have multiple key card checks, are we going in the direction of multiple security checks as well? Is this our future in popular spaces?

Last edited:

Tom P.

The simple fact is that it is impossible to make a space like Walt Disney World totally secure, or even close to totally secure. Heck, they can't have 100% success at securing people entering planes from airports in extremely controlled environments.

Anything I could say at this point would sound cliched, but so much of it is true. A lot of security measures are no more than security theater, trying to give you the feeling of being more secure. A lot of it is for fear of lawsuits and other potential legal consequences should something happen.

Are some security measures warranted and reasonable? Certainly. But we can't live our lives in fear and we can't allow those things that we enjoy, like Walt Disney World, to be fundamentally altered to the point that they are no longer fun and enjoyable in the name of security. Again, it's cliched but also true, that if we do that, the terrorists win.

21stamps

Original Poster
The simple fact is that it is impossible to make a space like Walt Disney World totally secure, or even close to totally secure. Heck, they can't have 100% success at securing people entering planes from airports in extremely controlled environments.

Anything I could say at this point would sound cliched, but so much of it is true. A lot of security measures are no more than security theater, trying to give you the feeling of being more secure. A lot of it is for fear of lawsuits and other potential legal consequences should something happen.

Are some security measures warranted and reasonable? Certainly. But we can't live our lives in fear and we can't allow those things that we enjoy, like Walt Disney World, to be fundamentally altered to the point that they are no longer fun and enjoyable in the name of security. Again, it's cliched but also true, that if we do that, the terrorists win.

I agree with you. It's a fear of mine.. turning places into secure zones and completely taking away the vacation relaxing atmosphere.
To me, the terrorists will definitely be winning if that is the direction we take.
I am not against bag checks/metal detectors at sports games, concerts, theme parks, amusement parks.

mergatroid

Good post.

drizgirl

Disney probably knows this. I'm guessing they are doing what the lawyers are telling they need to do to cover their butts in the event of an attack of some sort.

21stamps

Original Poster
How much discussion of security is too much? Seriously - you've been on this forum long enough to have seen quite a few discussions. I actually agree with you in many points about security at WDW, as do others (based on what I have read). But, we've seen just about any possible argument for or against any form of security. So, for me, it serves no purpose to continue a discussion about security. I doubt that there is anything any of us can say at this point to change anyone's mind on this topic.

Just my $0.02...

The ones I've seen are about the park entrance and the TTC. The past few days was the first time that I've ever heard about actually putting security inside the resorts, and on resort activities. To me we're crossing over into entirely new territory now. I apologize if there was already threads on the resorts. I didn't search before starting this one.

I will say with certainty that if the MK resorts start requiring security checkpoints in multiple places on their property, I will stop staying at them. For me, it will not be worth it. Maybe other people don't feel that way, and that's fine too.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
The changes discussed serve two entirely unrelated purposes.

1) To reduce the concentrations of large numbers of people in small spaces by distributing them further from the entrances.

2) To increase the numbers of individuals that have already been screened when the park opens.

The first is a legitimate approach to reducing the likely damage done in a single, lone-wolf attack. Whether Disney's security management have assessed a heightened likelihood of such an attack is anyone's guess. The more likely scenario is that it's been a concern for a very long time and they've finally decided to act on it.

The second is probably the more important from a guest satisfaction point of view. There have been a few times where I've been stopped at or just short of the security checkpoints and had to wait until the massive crowd already screened got into the park at opening before getting screened myself.

Whatever the primary driving factor is, the decision to make these changes certainly wouldn't have been made lightly. Disney will be investing a fairly significant amount in creating new checkpoints and in increasing manpower to operate them. I know people who do security/vulnerability assessments of buildings and public spaces for a living and can assure you they are extremely thorough in what they do. If it's being done, it's being done for the right reasons.

EOD K9

You will always have the conundrum of where security is placed. If it is at the entrance to a park, then it is considered too close. Ok great, you push it out, but there will still be a crowd wherever it is pushed to....then that spot becomes the target. I suppose I would rather be considered secure at the TTC and just glide into the gates at the parks.

drizgirl

The problem is this.....
There is too much security....then something happens.....wow..guess there wasn't enough.
There isn't a lot of security....then something happens.....wow, how come there wasn't more?

People need to feel they can have some control over their destinies.

21stamps

Original Poster
You will always have the conundrum of where security is placed. If it is at the entrance to a park, then it is considered too close. Ok great, you push it out, but there will still be a crowd wherever it is pushed to....then that spot becomes the target. I suppose I would rather be considered secure at the TTC and just glide into the gates at the parks.

I think security at the TTC makes sense. it is a place you go to get to the parks, there's no other reason to be there.

EOD K9

I think security at the TTC makes sense. it is a place you go to get to the parks, there's no other reason to be there.
I know there was also talk at securing some of the hotels. You would be screened somewhere at GF, The Poly, or CR, placed on a separate monorail car, then head over to the main gate of MK.

21stamps

Original Poster
I know there was also talk at securing some of the hotels. You would be screened somewhere at GF, The Poly, or CR, placed on a separate monorail car, then head over to the main gate of MK.
That's why I wish there could be a main checkpoint. In the TTC thread it was mentioned that the monorail, docks, and possibly marinas-when renting water craft, will all have security stations too. It seems like if they do all of that then they would want to attempt to secure the lobbies as well. So how many metal detectors and security stations will end up on property?

I shouldn't be surprised with the additions of the rocks/fences/signs. Pretty soon those resorts will be unrecognizable. What price are we really paying in the name of "safety"? At some point we have to realize that risk surrounds us. We can't stop it all.

EOD K9

It seems like if they do all of that then they would want to attempt to secure the lobbies as well
I think the lobbies, as public spaces won't be secured. I can definitely see the entrance to the monorail stations on the monorail line getting magnetometers and bag check tables.

mousehockey37

I hear you, but the security at WDW is nowhere near as intrusive in other places. I work in the business of keeping our Government secure. We are a lot more intrusive. And no....I don't work for TSA.

People need to relax and just go on vacation. In the end, if something's going to happen, it's going to happen. Most of the people that complain about the security measures are ones that know what happens in bag check/screening and they still hold up the line. If you make the job easy for them, they're normally pretty good at getting you through quick.

I take my camera backpack and stuff and I know that when I get to bag check that yup, I open all the pouches, have everything visible, etc. and what happens? Security will see that and get to me quicker because I'm ready for it, unlike other guests.

With Disney still being one of the top travel destinations in the entire world, I think they do a pretty good job at keeping everyone safe. Again, if someone's got a crazy notion of pulling something off, they're gonna do it regardless of what security/checkpoints are in place.

21stamps

Original Poster
People need to relax and just go on vacation. In the end, if something's going to happen, it's going to happen. Most of the people that complain about the security measures are ones that know what happens in bag check/screening and they still hold up the line. If you make the job easy for them, they're normally pretty good at getting you through quick.

I take my camera backpack and stuff and I know that when I get to bag check that yup, I open all the pouches, have everything visible, etc. and what happens? Security will see that and get to me quicker because I'm ready for it, unlike other guests.

With Disney still being one of the top travel destinations in the entire world, I think they do a pretty good job at keeping everyone safe. Again, if someone's got a crazy notion of pulling something off, they're gonna do it regardless of what security/checkpoints are in place.

Maybe I'm just old. :(
I've been staying at the Polynesian since I was an infant. I've watched it go from windsurfing and swimming to No Swimming. Ok, that's fine.
Then last year- building rock barriers, fences, removing beach chairs/swings/hammocks. (To be fair, Poly has a few chairs left on the beach, GF does not). Ok, that's fine too.
And now this year- proposed metal detectors in multiple locations on resort grounds.
I don't know if that's fine, for me. The monorail I would be ok with. Plain view from my balcony, and on walks enjoying the grounds... not so sure.

I think this is the first time that I've been furious with Disney...or at least since the removal of a few of my favorite rides.lol

mousehockey37

Maybe I'm just old. :(
I've been staying at the Polynesian since I was an infant. I've watched it go from windsurfing and swimming to No Swimming. Ok, that's fine.
Then last year- building rock barriers, fences, removing beach chairs/swings/hammocks. (To be fair, Poly has a few chairs left on the beach, GF does not). Ok, that's fine too.
And now this year- proposed metal detectors in multiple locations on resort grounds.
I don't know if that's fine, for me. The monorail I would be ok with. Plain view from my balcony, and on walks enjoying the grounds... not so sure.

I think this is the first time that I've been furious with Disney...or at least since the removal of a few of my favorite rides.lol

Well, there's always the option to not go. If you don't like what they're doing, speak with your wallet. Don't give them your business. If you choose to continue to go, then you just have to accept what a Disney vacation is becoming.

Your example of the rock barriers... That was a reaction to a random incident. The incident had many variables that people contributed to (more than likely), but there's a whole thread for that.

As far as locations on resort grounds? Remember, ANYONE can access the resorts. All you have to do is walk right in. Sure, you'd have to park a car somewhere, but hey, at least they aren't searching every car that comes through the gates. Point is, there is no entirely 100% safe space at Disney.

I do find humor in this though. People want to yell about the visible changes that may pose a slight inconvenience for a couple minutes, yet they have no idea the vastness of security that they don't see.

21stamps

Original Poster
Well, there's always the option to not go. If you don't like what they're doing, speak with your wallet. Don't give them your business. If you choose to continue to go, then you just have to accept what a Disney vacation is becoming.

Your example of the rock barriers... That was a reaction to a random incident. The incident had many variables that people contributed to (more than likely), but there's a whole thread for that.

As far as locations on resort grounds? Remember, ANYONE can access the resorts. All you have to do is walk right in. Sure, you'd have to park a car somewhere, but hey, at least they aren't searching every car that comes through the gates. Point is, there is no entirely 100% safe space at Disney.

I do find humor in this though. People want to yell about the visible changes that may pose a slight inconvenience for a couple minutes, yet they have no idea the vastness of security that they don't see.
The best kind of Security is the kind that you can not see, imo. My problem is with too much visible security while leaving wide open gaps close by.

I said in a previous post here that I would most likely discontinue staying at those resorts if they become the way it sounds. You're preaching to the choir on that one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom