New "Caring for Giants" $30.00 Experience Debuts at Animal Kingdom on March 12 2017

BrittanyRose428

Not "all" - "proceeds" People gotta be paid, trucks maintained and fueled etc. Not sure if a cut off the top goes to the general operation of the park.

Each donation is matched by Disney and this is not charitable so no reporting. They granted $40 million over the last 22 years from this fund. Less than the take for one day's admission to one park.
Actually yes all... Disney covers the overhead costs of the fund. That's one of the reasons why it's actually a really helpful organization, because everything donated actually goes towards helping the animals and not towards paying people, accounting, etc...

raven

Actually yes all... Disney covers the overhead costs of the fund. That's one of the reasons why it's actually a really helpful organization, because everything donated actually goes towards helping the animals and not towards paying people, accounting, etc...
By Disney you means "guests." Disney will always find a way to charge guests for operating costs. And just about everyone knows when Disney uses the word "donation" that it's just a fancy word to make people think the price is justified. ;)

BrittanyRose428

By Disney you means "guests." Disney will always find a way to charge guests for operating costs. And just about everyone knows when Disney uses the word "donation" that it's just a fancy word to make people think the price is justified. ;)
True, but the overhead costs are not being deducted from the $30/person they're making from Caring for Giants, they're being covered by general profits they make from the parks, which kind of makes this conversation more interesting-- it's good that the $30 is going to the conservation fund, but in theory that means guests who will never do this experience are paying for its overhead costs. Although I guess it's not much different than increasing ticket prices and building an attraction some guests don't care to do.

raven

True, but the overhead costs are not being deducted from the $30/person they're making from Caring for Giants, they're being covered by general profits they make from the parks, which kind of makes this conversation more interesting-- it's good that the $30 is going to the conservation fund, but in theory that means guests who will never do this experience are paying for its overhead costs. Although I guess it's not much different than increasing ticket prices and building an attraction some guests don't care to do.
Oh but they are. Disney doesn't donate employee and trainer time, vehicle upkeep and maintenance costs. That would mean they would eat the cost and cover it themselves. They don't. Those expenses are definitely handed down to guests.

flyerjab

Not "all" - "proceeds" People gotta be paid, trucks maintained and fueled etc. Not sure if a cut off the top goes to the general operation of the park.

Each donation is matched by Disney and this is not charitable so no reporting. They granted $40 million over the last 22 years from this fund. Less than the take for one day's admission to one park.

Interesting. On the tour they said all proceeds. In fact, they said it was a challenge to do it but the agreement was made internally to do it.

NearTheEars

So they should just stop doing the fund since it's only been a measly $40 million?

Pleakley

Regardless of where the money goes, I think it's kind of exciting that an upcharge is only costing $30. I know they were doing some more reasonably priced events at the Arts Festival too. It's a potentially big price point they've missed out and helps with their "money hungry" image.

JoeCamel

So they should just stop doing the fund since it's only been a measly $40 million?
Didn't say they should stop. I think they should contribute more than 1 days gate at one park per year to this. Maybe the gate at ALL the parks on 4/22 each year?
They tell people it is a donation in carefully chosen words designed to have you think it is all when it is not. People deserve to know how much and where their money goes. This (The Disney Worldwide Conservation Fund) is NOT a charity, this is a PR operation for TWDC that only costs 2 million a year.

Last edited:

disney4life2008

Regardless of where the money goes, I think it's kind of exciting that an upcharge is only costing $30. I know they were doing some more reasonably priced events at the Arts Festival too. It's a potentially big price point they've missed out and helps with their "money hungry" image.

Enjoy it. It will be $70 before you know it

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom