News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Skyman1971

I was thinking more of this! That's what I want in world showcase please
moonraker3.jpg

Cosmic Commando

IIRC, California's trains still run open windows.
Unless there was a second refurb/refit, I don't think they do. The Mark VII monorails (at least the first one) were delivered without any opening, and air scoops were quickly installed on-site. I don't know of any changes after that, but I'm not totally in the loop on DL.

G00fyDad

There is absolutely no way these gondolas will not have air conditioning. I don't care what insiders say or any of that. You can not have guests walking around a theme park in Florida in July and then ask them to get in a small non air conditioned cube which will be even hotter than outside. I've gotten in my car during the summer months and the heat buildup in there is so oppressive you can barely breathe. You would be putting people in danger of heat exhaustion.

Unless the cabins are designed with vents to allow air to be forced through the cabins to cool them off. They can be designed to maximize the output into the cabin. I get what you're saying. The heat would be brutal in an enclosed cabin. But we all know how cheap Disney can go with things once the money starts getting "real". They will likely get the project going and then once they truly see the final cost they will start looking to cut costs. One of the first things to go will be AC since they can get cabins that use the forced air model. We had what looked like a pretty decent TSL until they started looking for money to cut. Then we lost a good chunk of the land to be built and the amazing theme accents for the coaster.

DrewmanS

Unless the cabins are designed with vents to allow air to be forced through the cabins to cool them off. They can be designed to maximize the output into the cabin. I get what you're saying. The heat would be brutal in an enclosed cabin. But we all know how cheap Disney can go with things once the money starts getting "real". They will likely get the project going and then once they truly see the final cost they will start looking to cut costs. One of the first things to go will be AC since they can get cabins that use the forced air model. We had what looked like a pretty decent TSL until they started looking for money to cut. Then we lost a good chunk of the land to be built and the amazing theme accents for the coaster.

The fact that they are about to break ground on this project, it's likely most of the engineering and design is complete. Lead times for components, tower construction, and manufacture of gondolas require most of the design to be determined well in advance of installation. While there could be cosmetic changes before it opens, the overall design choices have already been made.

drizgirl

Unless there was a second refurb/refit, I don't think they do. The Mark VII monorails (at least the first one) were delivered without any opening, and air scoops were quickly installed on-site. I don't know of any changes after that, but I'm not totally in the loop on DL.

Rode it with windows down last year. (And it was still uncomfortable if you were sitting in a sunny spot.)

And yet they still shut down service when it's too hot.

G00fyDad

The fact that they are about to break ground on this project, it's likely most of the engineering and design is complete. Lead times for components, tower construction, and manufacture of gondolas require most of the design to be determined well in advance of installation. While there could be cosmetic changes before it opens, the overall design choices have already been made.

I understand and what I meant was that I would be willing to bet that the decision was already made (sometime between planning and boots on the ground) to go with a non-AC ride car to cut costs. I may not have translated that well in my other post. I didn't mean that they were necessarily "going" to do it but rather that is the point in Disney's projects where they make silly decisions like this. :)

G00fyDad

Florida summers really are not as hot as you all are making them out to be. I guess if you're from cooler parts of the country, sure, but the intensity of the summer heat gets way overblown. I imagine this system will be as cool as the water craft.

I've lived in Florida during a summer. Albeit it was in 1989 but it was still pretty hot and humid. I've only ever gone to WDW in September and October and it is still pretty warm during that time of the year. I can just imagine the heat of summer these days. :in pain:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I understand and what I meant was that I would be willing to bet that the decision was already made (sometime between planning and boots on the ground) to go with a non-AC ride car to cut costs. I may not have translated that well in my other post. I didn't mean that they were necessarily "going" to do it but rather that is the point in Disney's projects where they make silly decisions like this. :)
It sounds like from the people who have seen the plans that the gondolas won't have AC. They probably looked at that as an option but went in another direction. Since ground hasn't broken yet I don't think it was a change from the original design, it is the original design.

COProgressFan

Florida summers really are not as hot as you all are making them out to be. I guess if you're from cooler parts of the country, sure, but the intensity of the summer heat gets way overblown. I imagine this system will be as cool as the water craft.

Yes they are. I don't even mind heat all that much, but with daily temps in the 90's and dew points in the 70's, that is the definition of hot.

Not being snarky, but did you grow up in the south?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Yes they are. I don't even mind heat all that much, but with daily temps in the 90's and dew points in the 70's, that is the definition of hot.

Not being snarky, but did you grow up in the south?
ITA. I've lived in the arid plains of the Southwest, the eastern fringe of swamp country, and in the Asian tropics, and I have to say that Florida's combination of heat and humidity was the most consistently uncomfortable place I've lived.

drizgirl

LOL. No, I'm not overblowing it.

And yes, plenty of WDW guests come from cooler parts of the country.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom