Merits of DLR vs. WDW

dweezil78

I agree but it's really the parks that matter. TDO seems to have forgotten that and essentially now see WDW as a glorified timeshare and real estate business with Theme Parks as a side business.

To each his/her own I suppose. Don't discount the many people out there who are happy to vacation at a nice resort for a week without any theme parks in sight. Aulani, for example, is essentially a deluxe WDW resort plopped right down on a beautiful Hawaiian beach and no parks to speak of.

Don't get me wrong, I love the parks and am a theme park junkie, but I also recognize at my age that there is a lot more to a nice vacation than hitting up a bunch of rides and WDW offers a lot to do in that regard.

PiratesMansion

Ok, I love my DL and all -- but as a former Florida guy, I gotta defend MK here! I think saying MK has 'largely inferior versions of the attractions' is kind of an overstatement, don't you think? Aside from Pirates which everyone can agree with, almost anything else is pretty subjective IMO and just marginally different as far as any attractions that are shared. I can argue just about any of them in either direction w/ maybe Speedway being the only exception.

Maybe it is a bit of an overstatement, but it is generally how I feel. Many of the attractions that MK does better tend to be attractions that just don't interest me as much (Jungle Cruise, Pooh, Treehouse). It might just be about the feel of the place: I definitely gravitate towards the more charming castle parks, and Tokyo Disneyland, though less charming perhaps than MK, has a better roster of attractions, which leaves Magic Kingdom with...? Disneyland to me feels more organic and full of life, Disneyland Paris has a spectacular re-imagining of the castle park concept, Tokyo has a greatest hits attraction roster with the best employees and entertainment, and the Magic Kingdom... I can't think of anything that really distinguishes Magic Kingdom from the other castle parks. Maybe that is on me for not exploring the park enough or not knowing what places to seek out that really show off MK to its fullest, but there is just something "off" about the park to me and I don't know that I can fully articulate what that is. I understand why people enjoy it, but to me it is clearly inferior to DL, TDL, and DLP.

Californian Elitist

Another thing to add... I think DL'ers tend to put so much emphasis on attraction comparison (which is better, overall count, etc.) when to me, there's so much more when you're vacationing at WDW. The different resorts with their unique restaurants and quirks make up so many of the memories I take back from my trips there. Moments like this (not my video, but love this restaurant - Whispering Canyon @ Wilderness Lodge in particular)...

This is the thing, the majority of Disneylanders aren't vacationing, most likely, when we go to Disneyland. A lot of us aren't there for the resorts and Downtown Disney; we're there to experience the rides, watch the shows, maybe meet characters, and eat, like one would do at any theme park. That's actually including all of the theme parks in Southern California. Growing up in Southern California, going to theme and amusement parks usually wasn't and still isn't considered vacationing. People may get a hotel room for one night so they'll be refreshed the next day to drive back home, but that's really it. You just went to have fun for a day or two. I don't know about others, but vacations to me as a native Southern Californian (native Angeleno to be exact) child meant trips to Vegas, Lake Tahoe, Big Bear, San Diego, Santa Barbara, San Francisco, etc., just speaking within California and extensions. Of course traveling to other states would be included. Going to Disneyland, Knott's, Magic Mountain, Universal, etc. was just something fun to do for the day, like going out to eat with friends or going to the movies.

I guess my point is there are two completely different perspectives here because WDW and the DLR are different products marketed to different audiences. WDW vets are most likely going to look at the DLR as a vacation package, because that's what WDW is. DLR vets are probably going to see WDW the way they see Disneyland, a place to go to to enjoy themselves.

I can see why people say comparing the two resorts is pointless. The overall offerings and experiences of both are too different.

Animaniac93-98

Another thing to add... I think DL'ers tend to put so much emphasis on attraction comparison (which is better, overall count, etc.) when to me, there's so much more when you're vacationing at WDW. The different resorts with their unique restaurants and quirks make up so many of the memories I take back from my trips there. Moments like this (not my video, but love this restaurant - Whispering Canyon @ Wilderness Lodge in particular)...

The best part of WDW is the lake area where Beach Club, Yacht Club and Boardwalk isloacted. You have this beautifully designed area with Stormalong Bay, the restaurant facades at night, Friendship boats gliding by and very convenient access to Epcot and DHS, but it's relatively quiet despite the number of people and its close proximity to the parks. The view of Wilderness Lodge from Bay Lake, looking at MK from California Grill and Animal Kingdom Lodge (which is better than the park IMO) would be close behind.

WDW vets are most likely going to look at the DLR as a vacation package, because that's what WDW is.

I partially blame Disney themselves for pushing the Disneyland RESORT concept since 2001, insisting that it is a place to spend 3-4 days and trying everything to convince out of state visitors to make it the main part of their SoCal vacations. You need something beyond the parks to justify that, and things like DTD or the Paradise Pier Hotel in their current states aren't going to cut it.

Californian Elitist

I partially blame Disney themselves for pushing the Disneyland RESORT concept since 2001, insisting that it is a place to spend 3-4 days and trying everything to convince out of state visitors to make it the main part of their SoCal vacations. You need something beyond the parks to justify that, and things like DTD or the Paradise Pier Hotel in their current states aren't going to cut it.

I completely agree. I've been saying this for years. The "resort" part should be dropped and Disney should let Disneyland and California Adventure be what they are; they're two theme parks that offer attractions and food, simple as that.

SuddenStorm

I completely agree. I've been saying this for years. The "resort" part should be dropped and Disney should let Disneyland and California Adventure be what they are; they're two theme parks that offer attractions and food, simple as that.

The "resort" theme works though. The hotels fill up, people often purchase multi day passes.

dweezil78

I guess my point is there are two completely different perspectives here because WDW and the DLR are different products marketed to different audiences. WDW vets are most likely going to look at the DLR as a vacation package, because that's what WDW is. DLR vets are probably going to see WDW the way they see Disneyland, a place to go to to enjoy themselves.

I can see why people say comparing the two resorts is pointless. The overall offerings and experiences of both are too different.

Totally right. Obviously people want to compare because there are of course similarities in the parks on both coasts, but the two properties are used and marketed in completely different ways with different audiences. They're both great and I consider myself very fortunate that I've been able to experience both as many times I have and as frequently as I have.

dweezil78

I mostly agree -- but I'll also say that the one time a year or so my family and I splurge and do a long weekend at the Grand Californian can make a simple trip to DL feel a lot more like a mini-WDW vacation. That hotel is very close in spirit to a deluxe WDW resort and it can completely change the dynamic of a DL visit.

GiveMeTheMusic

I'd enjoy a week long stay at WDW more if they fixed the theme parks. I enjoy the resort aspect of a WDW vacation, but it's becoming more and more marred by shoddy product.

Curious Constance

For my family, who come down from Oregon, the DLR feels very much like a vacation/resort experience to us. And we don't even stay on site. I can imagine if you've lived there your whole life and can go to the parks whenever you want, it wouldn't feel that way. But for everyone else in the world, going there will likely seem very much like a vacation.

Last edited:

Phroobar

For my family, who come down from Oregon, the DLR feels very much like a vacation/resort experience to us. And we don't even stay on site. I can imagine if you lived there your whole life and can go to the parks whenever you want, it wouldn't feel that way. But for everyone else in the world, going there will likely seem very much like a vacation.

When you live locally and have an AP pass for years, it definitely doesn't feel like a vacation at that point. In fact, it starts to feel like a job. The problem with being a local with a AP pass is your kids get burned out on Disneyland / WDW pretty quickly. You get tired of fighting the crowds to go do a ride or pick up the one piece of special merchandise or get diner. If you go a couple of times a month, the kids will want to go do something else besides ride the same old rides and eat at the same restaurants and watch the same parades. Going to Disneyland almost becomes a punishment. It is a good thing to take a few years off and live life without the mouse.

I remember we stayed a night at the Grand Californian for fun to celebrate one of the kids birthdays. The kids had a great time playing in the pool and exploring the hotel. They didn't want to go into Disneyland. It was different and fun.

Californian Elitist

Totally right. Obviously people want to compare because there are of course similarities in the parks on both coasts, but the two properties are used and marketed in completely different ways with different audiences. They're both great and I consider myself very fortunate that I've been able to experience both as many times I have and as frequently as I have.

I remember being a kid and wanting to go to WDW SO badly. I used my scholastic bookstore money and bought WDW books to read up and learn about the parks. The desire was that strong. I still really, really want to go, and you are indeed fortunate to be able to visit both.

I mostly agree -- but I'll also say that the one time a year or so my family and I splurge and do a long weekend at the Grand Californian can make a simple trip to DL feel a lot more like a mini-WDW vacation. That hotel is very close in spirit to a deluxe WDW resort and it can completely change the dynamic of a DL visit.

For sure. I've stayed at the Disneyland Hotel and Paradise Pier, and both felt like many vacations. I'm sure they still wouldn't compare to what's offered in Florida.

Professortango1

WDW just seemed so bland. When we go next time, I'll definitely allow less time as we found ourselves done with a park within hours. When we were at Animal Kingdom, we tried killing time to stay for the nighttime festivities, but after the 5th trip on Everest and grabbing a sit down meal, we still had hours to go. There is a reason all of their parks have much more limited hours than the parks in California, there just isn't as must to do.

It must be a SoCal thing because we noticed Universal Orlando was similar. Due to the closeness, we were able to park hop easier than Disney, but we still did both parks in one day easily. Islands of Adventure feels like 3/4 of a park and Universal seems like 1/4 a park with Disaster and Twister gone.

yookeroo

For my family, who come down from Oregon, the DLR feels very much like a vacation/resort experience to us. And we don't even stay on site. I can imagine if you lived there your whole life and can go to the parks whenever you want, it wouldn't feel that way. But for everyone else in the world, going there will likely seem very much like a vacation.

I'm sure it does, but as a resort, WDW blows DL away. WDW is BIG. It's like a city. Total immersion in the bubble.

George Lucas on a Bench

I don't like vacationing. I like going to Disneyland and coming home to my own bed at the end of the night and watching Deep Space Nine.

The WDW notion of coming "home" to WDW and staying in hotels where they leave towels in the shape of Mickey's head on the bed is awful. Eventually, you've got to go back to the real world. Why not share it with the real world like the Disneyland AP crowd? It must be said, they do that part right. You can weave back and forth with remarkable skill and ease.

Last edited:

dweezil78

I'd enjoy a week long stay at WDW more if they fixed the theme parks. I enjoy the resort aspect of a WDW vacation, but it's becoming more and more marred by shoddy product.

Just out of curiosity, when was the last time you were out there? I was there in November and while, sure, Epcot has its share of problems and DHS remains a mess and is currently torn apart, I didn't think there was much 'bad show' or that things were maintained in a way that detracted from the experience anymore so than out here. For all the things that totally bum me out about Epcot, having grown up there in the best of its years, I still absolutely love being in the park -- especially at night when World Showcase really comes alive. There's nothing else quite like at any Disney park.

dweezil78

I don't like vacationing. I like going to Disneyland and coming home to my own bed at the end of the night and watching Deep Space Nine.

The WDW notion of coming "home" to WDW and staying in hotels where they leave towels in the shape of Mickey's head on the bed is awful. Eventually, you've got to go back to the real world. Why not share it with the real world like the Disneyland AP crowd? It must be said, they do that part right. You can weave back and forth with remarkable skill and ease.

Well... the only way around that would be to live in/around Orlando I suppose. No one's forcing anyone to vacation there, it's just that it offers itself up for that moreso than DL. I have plenty of AP carrying friends in Central FL and beyond who use WDW similarly to how we use DL.

Professortango1

Just out of curiosity, when was the last time you were out there? I was there in November and while, sure, Epcot has its share of problems and DHS remains a mess and is currently torn apart, I didn't think there was much 'bad show' or that things were maintained in a way that detracted from the experience anymore so than out here. For all the things that totally bum me out about Epcot, having grown up there in the best of its years, I still absolutely love being in the park -- especially at night when World Showcase really comes alive. There's nothing else quite like at any Disney park.
When we were there in August we saw a kot of peeling signs, holes in walls, rubbed away paint, and of course all of the broken/removed AAs and effecfs.

dweezil78

When we were there in August we saw a kot of peeling signs, holes in walls, rubbed away paint, and of course all of the broken/removed AAs and effecfs.

I'm not saying that stuff doesn't exist... and there may be more of it across the property due to its size, but proportionally, do you really think its that much worse for the wear than DL is? I honestly can't sit here and say it is.

Also, I will add that having an AP to Six Flags Magic Mountain this past year has given me some new perspective and a much greater appreciation for Disney parks and their maintenance overall -- even if they aren't quite as pristine as they were at one point in time. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom