Merits of DLR vs. WDW

GiveMeTheMusic

giphy.gif

It's longer and better maintained, and never gets the NBC makeover. If you want a real time warp experience, TDL's Mansion is an exact copy of the original WDW one (so no updates - they still have the old bride, etc.) and perfectly maintained. As a result, their HMH is better than DL's as well.

DL's Mansion is in such sorry shape all the time. It's like no one knows what the ride's proper lighting and paint upkeep should be. While I don't hate HMH like you, it definitely contributes to HM never getting the real refurb it needs here.

George Lucas on a Bench

I've been championing the Disneyland Mansion for years, but most people seem to side with the Magic Kingdom version. I prefer DL's house, walking in the front door without that awful interactive queue, no wacky sound effects in the stretching room, changing portrait hallway and limbo loading area, no silly staircase scene (which I never liked--I'm one of the few that preferred the spiderwebs to what rather unfortunately resembles the moving stairs in Hogwarts), original audio in the corridor of doors and graveyard mostly intact, the ghouls swooping in through the ballroom windows rather than slowly rotating, which looks silly, superior pop-ups and blast-up in the graveyard, the Hatbox Ghost scene which is mostly pretty cool aside from his googly eyes which don't nail the look of the original, faces on the trees as you descend into the graveyard, classic hitchhiking ghosts instead of cartoons that are inferior to CGI in the 1995 Casper film, and the ghostess after the ride as you ascend out of the crypt.

HMF

Original Poster
Well it was designed for DL and they are more or less doing a cut and paste into DHS so in some ways you are right. I'm not sure how all of the rock work will fit into DHS and not feel like a completely different park.
Keep in mind with the studio theme gone, They do have more or less a blank slate.

TP2000

I'm going to say something that I anticipate is going to be extremely controversial and not go over very well in the least...

I think at the end of the day what they are building for Star Wars will fit far more organically at DL than DHS (well, soon to be the corpse of I suppose).

They only reason people think the current design of SWE fits DHS is because people have deemed it an IP park with discreet borders and a general hodge podge anything goes mess. The forested walk around critter country passing the rivers of America will give way to increasingly large petrified trees, or the frontier land rockwork gives way to increasingly more alien Wild West frontier.

Meanwhile DHS will give us the Muppets courtyard or oversized Toy Land with sharply drawn borders into a completely unrelated sense of design, scale, realism, theme and narrative.

Alright, have at me...

I couldn't agree more.

Judging by Google Earth and the excellent map of the DHS version that Martin has posted over in the DHS threads, just the physical length of the entry paths will be much longer at Disneyland than they are at DHS. And those shorter and smaller entry portals at DHS are transitioning you from the garish colors and wacky themes of Muppets! and Toy Story! directly to Star Wars; whereas the Disneyland paths transition you from the wooded far reaches of mature lands to Star Wars. The transitions at Disneyland will not only be longer and more dramatic, but will be less jarring aesthetically.

If WDI pulls off the fantasy feel of this new land the way some Miceage Updates have said, it seems as though the entire concept works better at Disneyland than it would at a fake movie studio theme park like DHS.

Keep in mind with the studio theme gone, They do have more or less a blank slate.

They will likely rename the park, but they can't get rid of the movie studio theme without ripping out a dozen existing soundstages and completely rebuilding 75% of the existing park infrastructure. It's a movie studio theme park, and always will be. Soundstages! Glamour! Soundstages! Hollywood! Soundstages! Glamorous Hollywood Soundstages!

Last edited:

dweezil78

I've been championing the Disneyland Mansion for years, but most people seem to side with the Magic Kingdom version. I prefer DL's house, walking in the front door without that awful interactive queue, no wacky sound effects in the stretching room, changing portrait hallway and limbo loading area, no silly staircase scene (which I never liked--I'm one of the few that preferred the spiderwebs to what rather unfortunately resembles the moving stairs in Hogwarts), original audio in the corridor of doors and graveyard mostly intact, the ghouls swooping in through the ballroom windows rather than slowly rotating, which looks silly, superior pop-ups and blast-up in the graveyard, the Hatbox Ghost scene which is mostly pretty cool aside from his googly eyes which don't nail the look of the original, faces on the trees as you descend into the graveyard, classic hitchhiking ghosts instead of cartoons that are inferior to CGI in the 1995 Casper film, and the ghostess after the ride as you ascend out of the crypt.

I'm pretty neutral on stuff like the interactive queue as you're able to bypass it and the Hitchhiking Ghosts 2.0. I like that we still have the original here but do find the tech out at WDW to be pretty cool and am glad that both exist. I LOVE their stretching room. To me, it's a huge plus up of the original and totally stays true to it while making just a little bit more awesome. I always miss it when I'm on ours.

I think people give WDW's Mansion too much of an edge for the changing portrait/library scene. We basically have that here with the portrait hallway but you get to walk through it. That said, the extra on-ride time does make a difference too so it's kind of a toss-up there. I also like the odd perspective you get while riding down the hallway.

One little thing that I've pointed out before that I love about ours -- during the corridor of doors, if you look up, it's almost impossible to see any ceiling. Just complete darkness and lights hanging from complete darkness. Florida, you can totally see the top. It's a small thing, but it bothers me!!!

SuddenStorm

DL's Mansion is in such sorry shape all the time. It's like no one knows what the ride's proper lighting and paint upkeep should be. While I don't hate HMH like you, it definitely contributes to HM never getting the real refurb it needs here.

But... But... Hatbox Ghost is here.......

Yeah I'd love if they closed the ride for a good few months and made it perfect- but I'm gonna assume the stress of converting it to HMH every year is taking its toll on the ride

HMF

Original Poster
They will likely rename the park, but they can't get rid of the movie studio theme without ripping out a dozen existing soundstages and completely rebuilding 75% of the existing park infrastructure. It's a movie studio theme park, and always will be. Soundstages! Glamour! Soundstages! Hollywood! Soundstages! Glamorous Hollywood Soundstages!
Are they not getting rid of the majority of the soundstages? I thought that all that was staying was Hollywood and Sunset Boulevards.

HMF

Original Poster
One little thing that I've pointed out before that I love about ours -- during the corridor of doors, if you look up, it's almost impossible to see any ceiling. Just complete darkness and lights hanging from complete darkness. Florida, you can totally see the top. It's a small thing, but it bothers me!!!
Well, the problem there is originally The Florida Corridor of Doors was lit differently with red globes covering the lights on the chandeliers which made it feel much more claustrophobic and helped focus your attention on the doors. In 2007 WDI changed the lighting in the scene to match Disneyland which may have affected how perceivable the ceiling is.

Phroobar

But... But... Hatbox Ghost is here.......

Yeah I'd love if they closed the ride for a good few months and made it perfect- but I'm gonna assume the stress of converting it to HMH every year is taking its toll on the ride
I hope they do get around to fixing the damage they cause every year to the mansion. It would be nice if they could keep it closed for an additional six months for a major refurbishment. Maybe they can add a few things to the mansion like a better loading area that isn't just a black box. They could make the setup of HMH way less damaging by building it into the superstructure instead of adhocing it every year.

rle4lunch

I haven't been following the GOTG thread, but I'll play;

After riding the Disneyland Splash Mountain several times from 1989 to 1993, I had no idea that it was supposed to have a plotline until I rode the WDW version in 1994. Previously I thought it was just "Log Ride With Singing Chickens And Big Drop". The Disneyland version still fits that bill. Then in the 2000's I rode the Tokyo Disneyland version of Splash Mountain and realized not only is it supposed to have a plot, but it's also supposed to have proper maintenance. Who knew?

Tower of Terror at WDW looks really cool from the street that leads up to it. The DCA version looks like a lightly decorated warehouse building at the end of an un-themed side street in a theme park. No wonder they ripped it out in DCA.

Epcot Center is truly wonderful, even in its dumbed down and increasingly neglected state in the 2010's. But I still view it through rose tinted glasses of my first visit in 1987, when it was a triumphant tribute to American Free Enterprise and the brilliance of Imagineering. If it weren't for Epcot, I would have stopped visiting WDW many years ago. It's really the only reason for a West Coaster with a Disneyland AP to bother visiting WDW. The rest of non-Anaheim WDW offerings are a good zoo with bad to decent rides at DAK, and a Hollywood theme park with two pretty good rides Disneyland doesn't have at DHS. Neither DAK nor DHS are enough of an excuse to fly to Florida. But Epcot is.

Carousel of Progress should have been updated twice in the last 20 years, but it hasn't been. Embarrassing.

Most of the rest of the E Tickets at WDW in Magic Kingdom, DHS and DAK are weaker, shorter and cheaper looking than their Disneyland counterparts; Pirates, Small World, Space Mt., Thunder Mt., Grizzly, Indy, all of Fantasyland, etc., etc.

Cars Land and all its rides and stores and entertainment kicks behind, plain and simple. Carthay Circle Restaurant is unparalleled in the global theme park industry, not just the Disney theme park industry. The Blue Bayou from 1967 has never been matched, fifty years later. Disneyland entertainment, from small bands to major spectaculars, is lush and beautifully presented and finely crafted and routinely replaced and updated, and there's so much of it compared to the weaker WDW parks. SNOWFLAKE TRIGGER WARNING: There are far fewer overweight people in ECV's at Disneyland, nor people in tacky clothing, which makes for a nicer environment in Disneyland.

WDW has four parks, DLR has two parks but still has a half dozen more rides than all four WDW parks combined. How the heck does that happen after 45 years of operation out there except for gross mismanagement and cheap leadership?

There's also a vast cultural difference between Orlando locals and SoCal locals who are theme park fans. In Orlando, the only thing to do for entertainment is visit theme parks, the shopping malls attached to theme parks, the corporate restaurants attached to theme parks, the hotels attached to theme parks, or the nearby tourists traps just outside of theme parks. The video blogs on YouTube of Orlando area theme park fans are terrifying, in that the bloggers entire life seems to revolve around going to Disney or Universal properties and then wandering around and talking about them. In SoCal, where there is a huge wealth of cultural and natural entertainment offerings, Disneyland is just one beautifully crafted florrette of icing on the big cake of life. SoCal has mountains and desserts and beaches and a million or more cultural and entertainment offerings that a glamorous and affluent global capital like Greater Los Angeles offers.

Disneyland fans in SoCal seem to balance their fandom much better than Orlando fans do, who just keep going back to Disney Springs again to blog about the latest Darden Corporation food barn or the latest bathroom refurbishment in Fantasyland. It gets creepy.

you're brave to mention 'free enterprise' on here. For that, I applaud you.

BrianLo

Maybe it's fair to say the transition to SWL will be more organic at DL than DHS, but it doesn't fit the park as a whole organically. Those are two different things.

Ironically, one of the two has to rename itself and be re-dedicated to make it fit organically. Which isn't a bad thing, as I think there is generally little love over the current mission statement of DHS.

This gets back to the low standards over DHS. Star Wars exceeds those expectations, but takes the park in an entirely new direction. Obviously, everyone is ok with that direction as the current one is sub par.

I still think it's a standard and/or expectation issue more than the fit. But obviously, that's very subjective and biased by my thoughts.

Phroobar

We keep forgetting that Star Wars has been part of Disneyland for HALF its existence. When does someone that has been adopted into a family become organically part of the family? Raven24 would say never since there is a personal basis there. I believe Star Wars is now organically part of the park because of its age. It is the same with Pixar and the Muppets at Disneyland / Magic Kingdom. Marvel isn't yet because of it's new.

Earl Sweatpants

We keep forgetting that Star Wars has been part of Disneyland for HALF its existence. When does someone that has been adopted into a family become organically part of the family? Raven24 would say never since there is a personal basis there. I believe Star Wars is now organically part of the park because of its age. It is the same with Pixar and the Muppets at Disneyland / Magic Kingdom. Marvel isn't yet because of it's new.
Its true that Star Wars and Disney have worked in tandem for a few decades now. But, Star Wars is also setting a new precedent for non-Disney originating IP consuming the single largest park expansion since opening day and literally altering the park's footprint in the process.

DDLand

Ironically, one of the two has to rename itself and be re-dedicated to make it fit organically. Which isn't a bad thing, as I think there is generally little love over the current mission statement of DHS.

This gets back to the low standards over DHS. Star Wars exceeds those expectations, but takes the park in an entirely new direction. Obviously, everyone is ok with that direction as the current one is sub par.

I still think it's a standard and/or expectation issue more than the fit. But obviously, that's very subjective and biased by my thoughts.
As far as I'm concerned, Disney's Hollywood Studios and Disney's MGM Studios for that matter will essentially cease to exist in about 2 years.

The second headliner thesis attraction will cease to exist, the studio theming will all but be obliterated except in the awkwardly named Animation Courtyard, and immersive themed lands will rule the day (Toy Story mostly counts... Mostly).

It will be a celebration of Hollywood and major franchises that are the dominate force driving Hollywood.

Star Wars Experience is, as you were saying, the driving catalyst for this change. Star Wars Experience is going into a place where it can define the park it's being placed into.

That's a very good thing.

Disneyland Park is something that should not be reinvented. A park that welcomed some 18 Million guests through its gates. It's on fire.

It should be changed constantly. It should replace things that don't work. Update attractions when they need to be updated. Just never compromise on a set of ideals that made it great.

It's done that by rarely compromising on its nature. It's done that without major franchises taking of hold of entire lands.

As to your point on entrances... It depends. A sudden transition can have dramatic effect. Hiding until it just hits you. Though I'm also a fan of the subtle transition too... Both have their strengths.

I actually anticipate the more subtle transition at DHS to be from Toy Story Land. A more wooded area into the wild untamed out rim planet.

Though one advantage of the Rivers of America and DHS is the expansion pad for a third attraction. That's a huge differentiator.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom