Star Wars: Rogue One

Jahona

I was very disappointed in that line, I felt it was out of character for Vader.
Vader had a lot more sass in this movie than in the original trilogy. He even had a bit of a sway with his walk. In a way I liked it as it showed a confident in control character and not a brooding one from the prequels. It still conflicted with his brute force mentality from the original trilogy.

On a side note, I saw the movie for a third time with family in Virginia. The version of the film they were showing at the theater was actually missing several scenes through out the movie. Something was bothering me the entire time I was watching. I finally figured it out as the Y-Wings ion bombing the Star Destroyer was missing.

BrianLo

I also saw it a second time. I read Catalyst before this kicked off, definitely plusses Galen/Lyra/Orson. Nothing is needed to enjoy the film, but that's the one canonical item that I think enhances the movie if you are into that.

The plotting seemed a bit stronger the second go round, the score worked a bit better and I caught a few lines of dialogue that I must have missed that made some of the character motivations flow.

I still think while the movie was more solid that TFA, I connected far more to the characters of TFA. That's kind of a good thing as I'd rather revisit the TFA characters than vice-versa (which... ya....)

I am almost certain that Star Wars is in way better hands of current day Disney than any other major studio. We've come a long way where we can generally trust corporate Dis to not completely meddle and screw things up. Even five years ago, Warner Bro's or perhaps Fox would have been the better choices.

Bairstow

I was very disappointed in that line, I felt it was out of character for Vader.

Because stupid puns are beneath him. The character used to have some dignity but I guess the years and years of dance parties have taken their toll.

Vader shouldn't have even been in this film. For one, he sounds like he's in his eighties. I wonder why. For another, it makes the entire Star Wars universe seem so much smaller when there's only one competent enforcer in the entire evil empire who can get things done. It just served to make white-cape badguy man even more of a dweeb. He spends the entire movie getting dressed down by "more important" characters (Vader, bad cgi Peter Cushing, Hannibal Lecter, etc.) It's not a very effective film when your main villain is a put-upon middle management guy.

Anyway, I hated Rogue One and was bored out of my mind during the entire hour-long battle sequence at the end.
The only likable character was Alan Tudyk as that imperial terminator robot, and all he did is make me wish I was watching Serenity again instead of this dumb movie.

21stamps

Because stupid puns are beneath him. The character used to have some dignity but I guess the years and years of dance parties have taken their toll.

Vader shouldn't have even been in this film. For one, he sounds like he's in his eighties. I wonder why. For another, it makes the entire Star Wars universe seem so much smaller when there's only one competent enforcer in the entire evil empire who can get things done. It just served to make white-cape badguy man even more of a dweeb. He spends the entire movie getting dressed down by "more important" characters (Vader, bad cgi Peter Cushing, Hannibal Lecter, etc.) It's not a very effective film when your main villain is a put-upon middle management guy.

Anyway, I hated Rogue One and was bored out of my mind during the entire hour-long battle sequence at the end.
The only likable character was Alan Tudyk as that imperial terminator robot, and all he did is make me wish I was watching Serenity again instead of this dumb movie.

Isn't that kind of how the Emperor was to Vader? Not as extreme, but he did try to convince Luke to kill him.

I'm so curious though, what didn't you like about the battle scenes?

Bairstow

Isn't that kind of how the Emperor was to Vader? Not as extreme, but he did try to convince Luke to kill him.

I'm so curious though, what didn't you like about the battle scenes?

The battle scenes were boring because I had zero investment in any of the characters involved, except for the robot.
Without emotional investment, cgi explosions are just meaningless noise and pixels, albeit expensive-to-make noise and pixels. Nothing is more tedious.
The last hour of Rogue One might as well have been random footage spliced together from Independence Day 2, Transformers 3, and Battleship.

21stamps

The battle scenes were boring because I had zero investment in any of the characters involved, except for the robot.
Without emotional investment, cgi explosions are just meaningless noise and pixels, albeit expensive-to-make noise and pixels. Nothing is more tedious.
The last hour of Rogue One might as well have been random footage spliced together from Independence Day 2, Transformers 3, and Battleship.

Ok. That's understandable.

doctornick

I wouldn't go as far, but I tend to agree that I was less emotionally invested in these characters than I am for a typical SW film. I still enjoyed the third act, but it was probably more from already caring about Star Wars and how it all fit into the existing universe (especially Ep IV) than for the individuals on the screen -- and that's not ideal film making.

That said, I rather liked everything about Vader in this film, so I'd disagree with you about him. I liked the pun and felt it went very well with his established character -- similar to the "I have altered the agreement" line. Plus, I feel like Anakin from The Clone Wars (where the best development for the character occurred) would be all about such puns.

Even though Rogue One was in certain ways a better film, I enjoyed The Force Awakens quite a bit more.

doctornick

I am almost certain that Star Wars is in way better hands of current day Disney than any other major studio. We've come a long way where we can generally trust corporate Dis to not completely meddle and screw things up. Even five years ago, Warner Bro's or perhaps Fox would have been the better choices.

Yep. I feel Disney has been fantastic stewards of both Star Wars and Marvel. Whether by accident or design, they have set up a system where the people in charge of developing the IPs really "get" them and not only have been making popular box office smashes but ones that are true to what came before. This isn't Michael Bay trashing the Transformers.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Saw it again tonight.. and since it's been a decent amount of time now.. no more spoiler tags :)

Watching it a second time I could focus on some key dialog a bit more.. especially after some 'recap' review videos. They certainly try to pull it all together... and some like Bail's comments right before the final battle are easier to digest with hindsight.

All the talk about the CGI tarkin.. in one scene, his mouth stands out as really funky (I forget what they were talking about.. but it was right before the Rebels debating if they should attack or not). Beyond that, I think its a non-issue.

Second time around.. the 'Rouge One' title moment is even more flat and got no goose bumps

I'm convinced that having Captain A 'save' the girl and they have the tearful send-off together was part of the big reshoot. They go one by one killing each person off.. and he should die in a convincing way (the way she stares off after he falls), but it seems kind of 'inserted' when he is on the platform.. and then of course he has the Han Solo moment. It just doesn't seem to fit with the feel of the rest of the movie.. that's what makes me think this was a big part of the rework.

I tried scanning the scenes more and watching for details... nah, didn't see much if anything new.

Things that stood out or didn't work for me...
Vader shows up with one star destroyer and somehow wipes up the Rebel Fleet? Or was it everyone else finally made the hyperjump but the flagship?
The # of tie fighters deployed by the shield gate was obnoxious
We see Blue Squadron with what looks like a handful of fighters.. like less than 10. Then only SOME of the squadron makes it past the shield... yet they seem to fight what looks like a air battle of many many deaths.. yet the squadron seems to keep going on in a MUCH larger fight.
Again, I was put off by the size of the land battle on skarif.. where we have the original rogues.. then blue squadron lands at least one group of re-enforcements... yet how many people get wiped out again? This seemed like a never ending supply of rebels in the fight.. even more than the lying on the radio to make the group seem bigger, etc.

I was hoping on a second watch, I'd feel different about the movie because I could pick up the loose ends I had. But still I feel the whole 2nd act kind of puts you to sleep (literally a guy in the row behind me SNORED for like 30mins.. why no one wouldn't kick him irk'd me). The first 1/3rd of the movie really feels like the gritty Star Wars you were promised.. 2nd act I fight to not close my eyes.. and last battle I just wish there was more X-Wing POV shots (those are awesome).

K-2's humor still holds up on a repeat watch.. as do the action sequences. But I'm still not sold completely on the film as being near the top of the list. I loved how they worked in the references to A New Hope without being obnoxious... but the film still has yet to grab me and say "I'm awesome"

Princess Leia

Saw it again tonight.. and since it's been a decent amount of time now.. no more spoiler tags :)

Watching it a second time I could focus on some key dialog a bit more.. especially after some 'recap' review videos. They certainly try to pull it all together... and some like Bail's comments right before the final battle are easier to digest with hindsight.

All the talk about the CGI tarkin.. in one scene, his mouth stands out as really funky (I forget what they were talking about.. but it was right before the Rebels debating if they should attack or not). Beyond that, I think its a non-issue.

Second time around.. the 'Rouge One' title moment is even more flat and got no goose bumps

I'm convinced that having Captain A 'save' the girl and they have the tearful send-off together was part of the big reshoot. They go one by one killing each person off.. and he should die in a convincing way (the way she stares off after he falls), but it seems kind of 'inserted' when he is on the platform.. and then of course he has the Han Solo moment. It just doesn't seem to fit with the feel of the rest of the movie.. that's what makes me think this was a big part of the rework.

I tried scanning the scenes more and watching for details... nah, didn't see much if anything new.

Things that stood out or didn't work for me...
Vader shows up with one star destroyer and somehow wipes up the Rebel Fleet? Or was it everyone else finally made the hyperjump but the flagship?
The # of tie fighters deployed by the shield gate was obnoxious
We see Blue Squadron with what looks like a handful of fighters.. like less than 10. Then only SOME of the squadron makes it past the shield... yet they seem to fight what looks like a air battle of many many deaths.. yet the squadron seems to keep going on in a MUCH larger fight.
Again, I was put off by the size of the land battle on skarif.. where we have the original rogues.. then blue squadron lands at least one group of re-enforcements... yet how many people get wiped out again? This seemed like a never ending supply of rebels in the fight.. even more than the lying on the radio to make the group seem bigger, etc.

I was hoping on a second watch, I'd feel different about the movie because I could pick up the loose ends I had. But still I feel the whole 2nd act kind of puts you to sleep (literally a guy in the row behind me SNORED for like 30mins.. why no one wouldn't kick him irk'd me). The first 1/3rd of the movie really feels like the gritty Star Wars you were promised.. 2nd act I fight to not close my eyes.. and last battle I just wish there was more X-Wing POV shots (those are awesome).

K-2's humor still holds up on a repeat watch.. as do the action sequences. But I'm still not sold completely on the film as being near the top of the list. I loved how they worked in the references to A New Hope without being obnoxious... but the film still has yet to grab me and say "I'm awesome"
Even though we saw most of Blue Squadron eliminated, I kind of wish we had some sort of confirmation by someone in the Red and Gold squadrons that they were all gone.

I'm waiting for a full breakdown for what the reshoots took out and inserted. Idk when that will happen though. Maybe a special edition Blu-Ray?

Princess Leia

Oh, no. I hope they don't add CGI characters to it!!
Poorly aged CGI characters that walk across the screen and ruin the scene
latest

Tf was this, George?????????

In all seriousness though, I hope Disney is able to look at Cassian's roughness in Rogue One to restore A New Hope to it's former glory with Han shooting first (and delete the Jabba scene already).

Anyways, I meant that I want to see the deleted scenes from the film, not for them to be inserted into the movie. The only part of ANH's additional scenes that I agree with is that Biggs has a larger role that adds a little more of an impact.

Wendy Pleakley

Watched it a second time. Enjoyed it but still feel that it's short on story. I just don't have a desire to revisit it a third time, whereas I did with TFA. I guess a standalone story, with characters we haven't seen before nor will see again, just isn't as compelling as the main saga.

I thought it was odd that the ships were able to take out the Imperial Walkers. Why did they have to do tie them up in ESB? It also seemed that the Rebels took out a Star Destroyer way too easily.

The Empress Lilly

- Poorest film of all eight.
- Didn't care for any of the characters. I blame it on taking too far this whole 'the bad guys are good, the good guys are bad' thing. That is simply not SW.
- A bit too many cameos perhaps. I don't need ubiquitous meet & greets with every Ep. IV character.
- Tarkin looked like they dug up Cushing's 22 year old corpse and lifted that upright. Not that it is unbeffiting his character. Despite the uncanny valley territory I wasn't put off by it.
- The first third looked like a war movie set in the Syrian civil war. Not the direction I want to see SW go to.
- This movie is a random war movie. Could've been set on a Normandy beach. Genre crossover is more for Clone Wars, where there were brilliant episodes that were completely film noir or Western. For a full length movie it is too much.
- The blind Buddhist kung fu monk didn't work for me at all.
- Spoiler. Leia's ship fleeing the battlescene diminishes the opening of SW. Vader no longer boards a diplomatic ship, but a terrorist one in open war. No princess is captured, but a resistance leader. The destruction of Alderaan is retaliation, not an unprovoked attack against a peaceful planet.

erasure fan1

I loved it. The only thing that kind of bugged me was the opening. It just was kind of meh. I get they didn't want to get things confused with the saga films and the opening crawl but it just wasn't very powerful. I do hope the Han Solo movie does a better job with the opening. Other than that I thought it all worked really well. I loved seeing Vader just wiping the floor with rebels at the end and how dark it was. K2 was awesome and although I could tell Tarkin was CG, it was never distracting to me. Overall the movie surpassed my expectations by leaps and bounds and makes me even more excited to get that first EPVIII trailer.

mf1972

finally got to see it this morning due to conflicting work schedules, & i'll admit it was worth the wait. we throughly enjoyed it.
it's nice to see the SW universe go in another direction. great 3rd act to the film with the action scenes.
not spoiling anything, but it was a heartfelt moment in that final scene.

The Empress Lilly

Regurgitating random war movie snippets, is that why Rogue One looks like a completely interchangeable random war movie that could be set in Syria or the Normandy Beach?

It’s become a familiar experience to the 21st-century cinemagoer: that nagging feeling of deja vu in the multiplex, the sense that one is seeing the same movie over and over again, ad infinitum. This is hardly surprising given seven of last year’s 10 highest-grossing films were either remakes, sequels or set in a pre-existing “cinematic universe”. Hollywood has become – perhaps always has been – a cultural Möbius strip, doomed to eternally travel the same path, only ever shifting its trajectory slightly; an old scratched, warped record that never plays quite the same way twice.

But while cinephiles have long become used to shelling out their hard-earned wonga to watch the same movie several times over, a new interview with the editors of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story hints that Hollywood’s habit of regurgitation goes further than we imagined. It reveals the film’s initial “cut”, designed to map out the movie before any shooting took place, was cobbled together by editor Colin Goudie using footage from hundreds of other existing films.
https://www.theguardian.com/film/fi...e-one-hollywood-imagination-drought-star-wars

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom