Star Wars: Rogue One

Princess Leia

Here are my highlights of RO:

- Tarkin. Very good likeness.
- Red/Green Leaders. Totally unexpected yet welcomed addition.
- Hammerhead Corvette. Very cool scene.
- Dr Evazan and Ponda Baba. Nice additions, but how'd they survive the destruction of Jedha?
- Blue milk.
- Rebel watch tower on Yavin.
- Guardians of the Whills. Nice reference.
- K2-SO, funny one liners.
- Mouse, Gonk and Probe Droids! NICE!
- R2-D2 and C3PO. Liked seeing them in the movie but felt they could have placed them on the Tantive IV instead on Yavin.
- The Battle on and above Scarif. Amazing!
- Darth Vader. Yep. He kicked butt!
- Leia. Still on the fence about how she looked, but it was still cool none the less.
I disagree about
Tarkin & Leia.
They would have been okay from a distance maybe, but those close ups took me out of the movie.

#4- I had the same question after the movie. They must have left Jedha and went straight to Tattooine shortly after we saw them.

JohnD

Here are my highlights of RO:

- Tarkin. Very good likeness.
- Red/Green Leaders. Totally unexpected yet welcomed addition.
- Hammerhead Corvette. Very cool scene.
- Dr Evazan and Ponda Baba. Nice additions, but how'd they survive the destruction of Jedha?
- Blue milk.
- Rebel watch tower on Yavin.
- Guardians of the Whills. Nice reference.
- K2-SO, funny one liners.
- Mouse, Gonk and Probe Droids! NICE!
- R2-D2 and C3PO. Liked seeing them in the movie but felt they could have placed them on the Tantive IV instead on Yavin.
- The Battle on and above Scarif. Amazing!
- Darth Vader. Yep. He kicked butt!
- Leia. Still on the fence about how she looked, but it was still cool none the less.

-Nice touch with the Hammerhead Corvette. Ties back nicely to Rebels when they were stolen.
-One can assume Dr. Evazan and Ponda Baba were walking directly to their ship when they bumped into the Rogue One crew. Next stop: Tatooine and Mos Eisley. They got lucky just before Jedda was destroyed.
- Yeah, seeing Artoo and Threepio on Yavin was confusing. I thought they spent all their time on the Tantive IV now. It was pretty much established in Rebels that they were either on Alderaan or on the Tantive IV. But then again, with Bail on Yavin IV, I guess it stands to reason that Artoo and Threepio would disembark. As for Leia on the Tantive IV and not Bail, one can presume that it went to Alderaan to deliver Bail. Leia then boarded and ended up in the Scarif battle. As for her likeness, yeah, I'm on the fence too. Liked Tarkin better.

JohnD

Re: #8. I really wish he would have survived!!! Don't know how it would have played out in the long run, but he was one of the best parts of the movie for me.

#13- I think that is the moment when my kid FINALLY realized what was going on..lol...too bad that light bulb didn't go on until the end.

Then how to explain why haven't we seen these characters in the other movies? I know, they weren't conceived by writers yet. But for continuity purposes, you know they all had to be killed.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So I decided to watch the old parody "Hardware Wars". Guess who does the narration? None other than Paul Frees of HM fame.

Man, this was huge when this came out. No internet parodies obviously were around in 1978. We saw it as an interstitial between movies on HBO. The funniest memes to come out of it were Leia's Cinnamon Bun hairdo and not being able to understand Darth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardware_Wars

21stamps

Then how to explain why haven't we seen these characters in the other movies? I know, they weren't conceived by writers yet. But for continuity purposes, you know they all had to be killed.
Yeah, I know it would have been difficult to add in at this point.. I just thought that maybe they could have kept him alive.. to be found on some planet in episode 8.lol
Finally saw it this evening! I've only ever seen the movies - none of the tv shows, books etc. and I was able to hang in there just fine. It really reminded me of a WWII movie in the battle sequences, which I really liked.
The battle sequence had us, mostly my kid, actually sitting up in his chair. The entire time. It was pretty cool. In the beginning It took him a little while to accept that Kylo Ren and Rey were not coming around. I really should have explained more about the timing of the movie in relation to the others.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
As for the different look the director has said they specifically were told this is not part of the main saga and there would be no crawl. The crawl is being saved for the main Saga films only. They wanted them to have the freedom to give this a different look and feel. They debated on the location setting titles and on whether to use Star Wars' signature wipe transitions and decided not to.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Finally saw it this evening! I've only ever seen the movies - none of the tv shows, books etc. and I was able to hang in there just fine.
I'm fully caught up on the TV shows and the novels, no comic books. I agree that they handled different levels of audience knowledge extremely well. There were tons of little details for hardcore fans to spot, but they weren't anything that left the general audience out in the cold. For example, Krennic and Galen Erso were friends as young adults when they attended a program for gifted students. Was that need-to-know information? Nope. Did it add nuance and flavor for those of us who knew it? Yep.

@Master Yoda did you catch Cham Syndulla hanging out in Saw's palace?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'm fully caught up on the TV shows and the novels, no comic books. I agree that they handled different levels of audience knowledge extremely well. There were tons of little details for hardcore fans to spot, but they weren't anything that left the general audience out in the cold. For example, Krennic and Galen Erso were friends as young adults when they attended a program for gifted students. Was that need-to-know information? Nope. Did it add nuance and flavor for those of us who knew it? Yep.

I did not. Something to look for if I can break away from work this weekend and see it again.

fractal

Saw it last night in IMAX 3D. It was awesome.

Loved the new characters, the pace of the film, and the tie-ins without feeling "forced". Could easily be seen as a stand alone film, even for those without any prior Star Wars knowledge.
This film could replace all of the prequels (I,II and III) and is what I imagined the prequels would "look like" before I saw Phantom.

Current rankings of Star Wars movies;

Empire
New Hope
Rogue One
Return of Jedi
Force Awakens
Sith
Clone Wars
Phantom

21stamps

I think for adults that any level of Star Wars fan could see the movie and be fine without the Clone Wars background etc.

I think the kids who have parents who are hardcore and knowledge fans, and prepped their kids correctly, got the most out of it.

The kids who have parents that are relatively new fans..or at least having fallen out of the SW universe since the 80s, and did not prep our kids correctly, took awhile to get the "where, what, and who" lol. At least that's what is being reported within my circle of friends.

We will definitely get it when it comes out on DVD..I think now that it did click at the end ..watching it a second time will be a lot better.

Everyone has reported that the battle scenes had their kids on the edge of their seat..there's definitely not any prior knowledge required to enjoy a good battle scene in any movie. ;)

Disney Analyst

I have no Star Wars knowledge outside the actual films, and followed along just fine.

I really didn't realize that Mr. T was fully CGI... had no clue until I was told during the credits. Bravo.

21stamps

We loved it. We went with a female who had only seen the episode 7 and she had no problem keeping up with the plot
Has the movie been criticized for the plot, or people saying they couldn't keep up? I haven't read any formal reviews...only friends on FB and coworkers.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Okay, so nobody else in the theatre laughed at Vader's pun. There was absolutely no reaction to it, and I felt a little disappointed with every person there for that.

I was very disappointed in that line, I felt it was out of character for Vader.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom